CD-Rom Drive Missing from My Computer

Don1

CD-Rom Drive Missing from My Computer

The CD Rom drive passed out of existence from My Computer, with Vista
Home Premium 32-Bit operating system installed in a emachines desktop
PC.
The error code is: This device cannot start. (Code 10).
The driver version is: 6.0.6001.18000
I do not know what caused this problem.
Does anyone know how to restore the CD Rom drive?

--
Don1
Rick Rogers

Re: CD-Rom Drive Missing from My Computer
Hi,

Try the resolution steps here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Don1" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> The CD Rom drive passed out of existence from My Computer, with Vista
> Home Premium 32-Bit operating system installed in a emachines desktop
> PC.
> The error code is: This device cannot start. (Code 10).
> The driver version is: 6.0.6001.18000
> I do not know what caused this problem.
> Does anyone know how to restore the CD Rom drive?
>

> --
> Don1

SpyCatcher

RE: CD-Rom Drive Missing from My Computer
I have the same problem in Vista X32 the DVD-Rom disappears and or will not
respond when a disc is in the drive; formatting and reinstalling the OS does
not solve the problem.
Unfortunately the fix that Rick Rogers listed DOES NOT WORK or FIX the
PROBLEM.
What I believe to be the problem is a conflict in the "storage controller
drivers"; in the device manager I have 2 listed "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator".

Anyone have any ideas how to fix or disable MS initiator driver please share
your experience.

Sincerely,

"Don1" wrote:

> The CD Rom drive passed out of existence from My Computer, with Vista
> Home Premium 32-Bit operating system installed in a emachines desktop
> PC.
> The error code is: This device cannot start. (Code 10).
> The driver version is: 6.0.6001.18000
> I do not know what caused this problem.
> Does anyone know how to restore the CD Rom drive?
>

> --
> Don1

sarat

"SpyCatcher" wrote:

> I have the same problem in Vista X32 the DVD-Rom disappears and or will not
> respond when a disc is in the drive; formatting and reinstalling the OS does
> not solve the problem.
> Unfortunately the fix that Rick Rogers listed DOES NOT WORK or FIX the
> PROBLEM.
> What I believe to be the problem is a conflict in the "storage controller
> drivers"; in the device manager I have 2 listed "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
> Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator".
>
> Anyone have any ideas how to fix or disable MS initiator driver please share
> your experience.
>
> Sincerely,
>

> "Don1" wrote:
>

> > The CD Rom drive passed out of existence from My Computer, with Vista
> > Home Premium 32-Bit operating system installed in a emachines desktop
> > PC.
> > The error code is: This device cannot start. (Code 10).
> > The driver version is: 6.0.6001.18000
> > I do not know what caused this problem.
> > Does anyone know how to restore the CD Rom drive?
> >

> > --
> > Don1

I am having a similar problem.My dvd rom works for a few minutes and then
quits. I've tried everything listed in discussion groups that I can find.
Although I have a Gateway ML6703 notebook and not an emachine, I found a
temporary fix. It might work permanently for you. I have something called
Gateway Recovery Center listed in my programs, you might have something
similar. That gives me a listing of Recovery, Programs, Hardware, &
Applications for Drivers External Media. I clicked Hardware and under that
was Device Driver Recovery. Under that was a list of the Drivers Installed
in my computer. I didn't see what I was looking for but there was one that
said OTHERS with a ? next to it so I clicked it and it said TI Flash Media
Reader 2.0.0.6 WHQL 12-17-06. Well what the heck, I clicked install and what
do you know, the dvd worked and was listed in COMPUTER again...only 10
minutes later it vanished once again. Like I said, this was temporary for me
but maybe it would work for you because now I am getting error messages
telling me that this Texas Instruments Media reader is having compatibility
issues with my Mass Storage Controller so I am back once again to square one.
SpyCatcher

RE: CD-Rom Drive Missing from My Computer
Thank you for responding... I do not have any conflicts in the device
manager, the OS is from my MSDN account, I use a desktop I built.

"sarat" wrote:

> "SpyCatcher" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem in Vista X32 the DVD-Rom disappears and or will not
> > respond when a disc is in the drive; formatting and reinstalling the OS does
> > not solve the problem.
> > Unfortunately the fix that Rick Rogers listed DOES NOT WORK or FIX the
> > PROBLEM.
> > What I believe to be the problem is a conflict in the "storage controller
> > drivers"; in the device manager I have 2 listed "ITE IT8212 ATA RAID
> > Controller and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator".
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas how to fix or disable MS initiator driver please share
> > your experience.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >

> > "Don1" wrote:
> >

> > > The CD Rom drive passed out of existence from My Computer, with Vista
> > > Home Premium 32-Bit operating system installed in a emachines desktop
> > > PC.
> > > The error code is: This device cannot start. (Code 10).
> > > The driver version is: 6.0.6001.18000
> > > I do not know what caused this problem.
> > > Does anyone know how to restore the CD Rom drive?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Don1

> I am having a similar problem.My dvd rom works for a few minutes and then
> quits. I've tried everything listed in discussion groups that I can find.
> Although I have a Gateway ML6703 notebook and not an emachine, I found a
> temporary fix. It might work permanently for you. I have something called
> Gateway Recovery Center listed in my programs, you might have something
> similar. That gives me a listing of Recovery, Programs, Hardware, &
> Applications for Drivers External Media. I clicked Hardware and under that
> was Device Driver Recovery. Under that was a list of the Drivers Installed
> in my computer. I didn't see what I was looking for but there was one that
> said OTHERS with a ? next to it so I clicked it and it said TI Flash Media
> Reader 2.0.0.6 WHQL 12-17-06. Well what the heck, I clicked install and what
> do you know, the dvd worked and was listed in COMPUTER again...only 10
> minutes later it vanished once again. Like I said, this was temporary for me
> but maybe it would work for you because now I am getting error messages
> telling me that this Texas Instruments Media reader is having compatibility
> issues with my Mass Storage Controller so I am back once again to square one.

lakaiskateco

Rick Rogers;3743687 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Try the resolution steps here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Don1" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > The CD Rom drive passed out of existence from My Computer, with

> Vista
> > Home Premium 32-Bit operating system installed in a emachines

> desktop
> > PC.
> > The error code is: This device cannot start. (Code 10).
> > The driver version is: 6.0.6001.18000
> > I do not know what caused this problem.
> > Does anyone know how to restore the CD Rom drive?
> >

> > --
> > Don1

For the suppor from microsoft......i don't know what the upper filter
is or the lower filter. Does anyone else know? I don't want to delete
something and it be wrong.

--
lakaiskateco
lakaiskateco's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/118157.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Peter Foldes

Re: CD-Rom Drive Missing from My Computer
If the Upper and Lower filters are showing up in the registry key that is described
in the MS KB ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461)that Rick posted then go ahead
and just delete them.

Also I do not understand what Code 10 has to do with your CD Rom unless you are
using an outside one or something that interferes with your CD ROM like some sort of
USB hardware that is plugged in

Code 10 error (This device cannot start)
http://www.pchell.com/hardware/usbcode10.shtml

--
Peter