Windows can't stop Generic volume

JustJoan

Windows can't stop Generic volume
I just used Windows Vista to back up my drive to an external drive. It said
the backup was successful but when I went to safely remove hardware, I got
" Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use. Close
any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again
later."
I made sure everything was closed, checked with Task Manager and tried
again. Same message. After 20 minutes, I finally just disconnected it...
What could cause this problem? Would the backup have been compromised?
I really appreciate your help.
JJ
Richard G. Harper

Re: Windows can't stop Generic volume
Yep, the backup certainly could have been compromised. Unplugging a drive
while being told it cannot be stopped leaves the drive in an uncertain
state. You should either wait for the "safe to disconnect" message or, if
necessary, shut down the system to close the file system on the removable
drive before removing it.

"JustJoan" <JustJoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just used Windows Vista to back up my drive to an external drive. It said
> the backup was successful but when I went to safely remove hardware, I got
> " Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use.
> Close
> any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again
> later."
> I made sure everything was closed, checked with Task Manager and tried
> again. Same message. After 20 minutes, I finally just disconnected it...
> What could cause this problem? Would the backup have been compromised?
> I really appreciate your help.
> JJ

JustJoan

Re: Windows can't stop Generic volume
Thank you Richard.
I will redo the backup rather than take a chance. I had left the drive
running for over 20 minutes and finally gave up. Do you know if the next
backup will overwrite the first backup. That one said it would use 73GB and I
only have a 120GB external.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Yep, the backup certainly could have been compromised. Unplugging a drive
> while being told it cannot be stopped leaves the drive in an uncertain
> state. You should either wait for the "safe to disconnect" message or, if
> necessary, shut down the system to close the file system on the removable
> drive before removing it.

> "JustJoan" <JustJoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just used Windows Vista to back up my drive to an external drive. It said
> > the backup was successful but when I went to safely remove hardware, I got
> > " Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use.
> > Close
> > any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again
> > later."
> > I made sure everything was closed, checked with Task Manager and tried
> > again. Same message. After 20 minutes, I finally just disconnected it...
> > What could cause this problem? Would the backup have been compromised?
> > I really appreciate your help.
> > JJ

Richard G. Harper

Re: Windows can't stop Generic volume
Frankly, I'm not sure, I use Windows Home Server to back up my systems.
When in doubt, format the external drive before starting the backup again to
be sure.

> Thank you Richard.
> I will redo the backup rather than take a chance. I had left the drive
> running for over 20 minutes and finally gave up. Do you know if the next
> backup will overwrite the first backup. That one said it would use 73GB
> and I
> only have a 120GB external.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Yep, the backup certainly could have been compromised. Unplugging a
>> drive
>> while being told it cannot be stopped leaves the drive in an uncertain
>> state. You should either wait for the "safe to disconnect" message or,
>> if
>> necessary, shut down the system to close the file system on the removable
>> drive before removing it.

>> "JustJoan" <JustJoan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just used Windows Vista to back up my drive to an external drive. It
>> >said
>> > the backup was successful but when I went to safely remove hardware, I
>> > got
>> > " Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use.
>> > Close
>> > any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try
>> > again
>> > later."
>> > I made sure everything was closed, checked with Task Manager and tried
>> > again. Same message. After 20 minutes, I finally just disconnected
>> > it...
>> > What could cause this problem? Would the backup have been compromised?
>> > I really appreciate your help.
>> > JJ

earl

RE: Windows can't stop Generic volume
I get the same message and even shutting down the computer and restarting
doesn't solve the issue. Help.
--
earl

"JustJoan" wrote:

> I just used Windows Vista to back up my drive to an external drive. It said
> the backup was successful but when I went to safely remove hardware, I got
> " Windows can't stop your Generic volume device because it is in use. Close
> any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again
> later."
> I made sure everything was closed, checked with Task Manager and tried
> again. Same message. After 20 minutes, I finally just disconnected it...
> What could cause this problem? Would the backup have been compromised?
> I really appreciate your help.
> JJ

aleydoon

Re: Windows can't stop Generic volume

Hi.

When the computer is turned off, detach your USB drive before turning
on the computer. Although windows is not around to assure you that it's
safe, there is no application using it, so it's definitely safe (unless
you've some applications installed in the drive, then removing it will
-of course- prevent such apps from running)

--
aleydoon
aleydoon's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/aleydoon.htm

http://forums.techarena.in