USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard problem

runner50

USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard problem
I just purchased a new XPS 420 with a USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard. When
the computer sits for a while and powers down (sleeps), the keyboard lights
go off and it does not function. I had to cold start to get the keyboard to
work again. Does anyone know if this is the norm? How can I get the
keyboard to work without having to "cold start" the system?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard problem
Open your Device Manager, right-click on your keyboard and
select Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and
check "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

You can do the same for your mouse and other USB devices.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"runner50" wrote:

I just purchased a new XPS 420 with a USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard. When
the computer sits for a while and powers down (sleeps), the keyboard lights
go off and it does not function. I had to cold start to get the keyboard to
work again. Does anyone know if this is the norm? How can I get the
keyboard to work without having to "cold start" the system?
runner50

Re: USB Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard problem
I have done this and am still having the problem. I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941996/en-us

The problem is they recommend not doing this until you get the Vista Service
Pack 1 update through Windows Update which I haven't received yet. I've
thought about going to the Micrsoft site and downloading the service pack
anyway. Is it wise to do this or should I wait till the update comes (if it
comes)? The keyboard problem isn't chronic. I can just avoid sleep mode
till then. It is a little frustrating as I've been waiting for a while to
get this new XPS 420 system. To have a little bug like this is annoying.