USB jump drive no longer works with Vista

Len

USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other comptuer
with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format the
drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia drive
also quit working.

Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find an
email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from them!

Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point along
with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail. Mouse,
printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized
Matthew S. Armshaw

RE: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
Im experiencing much the same problem. I upgraded to Vista home in January of
2007. I had been using a Lexar jump drive to transfer files between home and
school for all 2007 and much of 2008. About a month ago the jump drive
stopped working. I figured I would fix it when I wipe out my harddrive (I do
this twice a year) because I was between classes. I have registered for a
summer class and now need the jump drive to work.

I must believe that a possible update was installed sometime in the past
three months that has 'messed' with the drivers and operation for the jump
drive. I tried reloading the drivers from the disk that came with the Gateway
computer. It gave me the following message:

Compatibility issue between Texas Instruments PCIxx12 FlashMedia Reader and
Windows.

I also noticed while checking the device manager that the driver for the
Mass Storage Controller was missing. I tried loading from manufacturers disk
again with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated -

Matthew S. Armshaw
"Len" wrote:

> Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other comptuer
> with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format the
> drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia drive
> also quit working.
>
> Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find an
> email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from them!
>
> Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point along
> with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail. Mouse,
> printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized

GTS

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB devices
and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that you first
download and install the fix in the article below. I have found it
effective in several recent cases.

Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600

--

"Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news04B104A-F261-421A-BF07-AEB7D6AE820A@microsoft.com...
> Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other
> comptuer
> with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format
> the
> drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia drive
> also quit working.
>
> Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find an
> email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from
> them!
>
> Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point along
> with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail.
> Mouse,
> printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
It is in SP1 so installing SP1 is the same thing.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:unWsWYQuIHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB
> devices and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that
> you first download and install the fix in the article below. I have found
> it effective in several recent cases.
>
> Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
>
> --
>
> "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news04B104A-F261-421A-BF07-AEB7D6AE820A@microsoft.com...
>> Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other
>> comptuer
>> with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format
>> the
>> drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia drive
>> also quit working.
>>
>> Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find an
>> email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from
>> them!
>>
>> Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point
>> along
>> with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail.
>> Mouse,
>> printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized

GTS

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
Correct. Thanks for adding that.
--

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It is in SP1 so installing SP1 is the same thing.
>
> "GTS" <x> wrote in message news:unWsWYQuIHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB
>> devices and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that
>> you first download and install the fix in the article below. I have
>> found it effective in several recent cases.
>>
>> Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600

Len

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
Thanks for the input but I tried both of 32 & 64 bit files. Running each of
them resulted in "This update does no apply to your system"

Do you have any other ideas

"GTS" wrote:

> There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB devices
> and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that you first
> download and install the fix in the article below. I have found it
> effective in several recent cases.
>
> Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
>
> --
>
> "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news04B104A-F261-421A-BF07-AEB7D6AE820A@microsoft.com...
> > Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other
> > comptuer
> > with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format
> > the
> > drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia drive
> > also quit working.
> >
> > Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find an
> > email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from
> > them!
> >
> > Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point along
> > with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail.
> > Mouse,
> > printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized

Matthew S. Armshaw

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
I got the same message. Im running a 32-bit system. I also tried downloading
service pack 1. I had already got this through Automatic updates, however,
and would not let me install.

Any other ideas?

Matt

"Len" wrote:

> Thanks for the input but I tried both of 32 & 64 bit files. Running each of
> them resulted in "This update does no apply to your system"
>
> Do you have any other ideas
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
> > There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB devices
> > and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that you first
> > download and install the fix in the article below. I have found it
> > effective in several recent cases.
> >
> > Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
> >
> > --
> >
> > "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news04B104A-F261-421A-BF07-AEB7D6AE820A@microsoft.com...
> > > Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other
> > > comptuer
> > > with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format
> > > the
> > > drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia drive
> > > also quit working.
> > >
> > > Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find an
> > > email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from
> > > them!
> > >
> > > Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point along
> > > with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail.
> > > Mouse,
> > > printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized

GTS

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
You might take a look at this
http://pmhesse.blogspot.com/2007/07/...ver-cache.html

It may actually be more applicable to your problem. The fix I mentioned
tends to resolve problems with no device recognition or unknown device
problems.
--

> Thanks for the input but I tried both of 32 & 64 bit files. Running each
> of
> them resulted in "This update does no apply to your system"
>
> Do you have any other ideas
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
>> There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB
>> devices
>> and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that you
>> first
>> download and install the fix in the article below. I have found it
>> effective in several recent cases.
>>
>> Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=941600
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news04B104A-F261-421A-BF07-AEB7D6AE820A@microsoft.com...
>> > Cruzer jump drive does not work with Vista but does work on my other
>> > comptuer
>> > with XP. It did work until recently but now the system wants to format
>> > the
>> > drive instead of allowing me to drag and drop files. The multimedia
>> > drive
>> > also quit working.
>> >
>> > Using Vista Premium on a Toshiba A205 -S4607. Have been unable to find
>> > an
>> > email for tech support from Toshiba. Will not buy another computer from
>> > them!
>> >
>> > Can anyone provide a fix. Have tried using and earlier restore point
>> > along
>> > with deleting the UBS drivers under System - devices but to no avail.
>> > Mouse,
>> > printer, keyboard, and Matrox external disk drive are all recognized

Len

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
Thanks for the input. Tried what GTS wrote however the problem still exists.

Please keep input coming as I am confident someone out there with this
problem has found a solution as it appears the problem is not uncommon.

"GTS" wrote:

> You might take a look at this
> http://pmhesse.blogspot.com/2007/07/...ver-cache.html
>
> It may actually be more applicable to your problem. The fix I mentioned
> tends to resolve problems with no device recognition or unknown device
> problems.
> --
>
> "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the input but I tried both of 32 & 64 bit files. Running each
> > of
> > them resulted in "This update does no apply to your system"
> >
> > Do you have any other ideas
> >
> > "GTS" wrote:
> >
> >> There are very widespread problems in Vista properly recognizing USB
> >> devices
> >> and there seems to be more than one cause. I would suggest that you
> >> first
> >> download and install the fix in the article below. I have found it
> >> effective in several recent cases.
> >>
> >> Cumulative update rollup for USB core components in Windows Vista
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> "Len" <Len@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news04B104A-F261-421A-BF07-AEB7D6AE820A@microsoft.com...

Matthew S. Armshaw

Re: USB jump drive no longer works with Vista
Still no luck. I tried the batch file suggestion from the link given. It
didn't work. However I did recognize something else that may help. When I
plug the jump drive into any of the usb ports I get a message saying 'USB
Device Not Recognized'.