Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys

M-5

Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
I bought a new Acer Desktop and it worked flawlessly for about a month. I've
added a powered USB hub and it's started to BSOD on boot with an error in
usbccgp.sys. Usually that's a cold boot...allowing a normal boot after that
it seems to work fine; occasionally takes 3 boot attempts.

Not sure if it's related to the hub or one of the recent updates. I see in
the KB that usbccgp.sys seems to have had some issues in the past.

Any thoughts? System works great once it's booted up, no BSOD once running.

--
M-5
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
I bought a hub about a year ago and it also blue-screened one of my systems.
It worked OK on another computer but was sudden death on the first. As far
as I can tell it had something to do with the electronics in the hub. I
seriously doubt that there is a solution short of returning it and getting a
different brand.

"M-5" <M5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new Acer Desktop and it worked flawlessly for about a month.
>I've
> added a powered USB hub and it's started to BSOD on boot with an error in
> usbccgp.sys. Usually that's a cold boot...allowing a normal boot after
> that
> it seems to work fine; occasionally takes 3 boot attempts.
>
> Not sure if it's related to the hub or one of the recent updates. I see
> in
> the KB that usbccgp.sys seems to have had some issues in the past.
>
> Any thoughts? System works great once it's booted up, no BSOD once
> running.
>
> --
> M-5

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
So what happens if you shut down, remove the hub, then start up again?

"M-5" <M5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a new Acer Desktop and it worked flawlessly for about a month.
>I've
> added a powered USB hub and it's started to BSOD on boot with an error in
> usbccgp.sys. Usually that's a cold boot...allowing a normal boot after
> that
> it seems to work fine; occasionally takes 3 boot attempts.
>
> Not sure if it's related to the hub or one of the recent updates. I see
> in
> the KB that usbccgp.sys seems to have had some issues in the past.
>
> Any thoughts? System works great once it's booted up, no BSOD once
> running.
>
> --
> M-5

M-5

Re: Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
No issues...I'm going to buy another hub today to try it (different brand).
--
M-5

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> So what happens if you shut down, remove the hub, then start up again?

> "M-5" <M5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a new Acer Desktop and it worked flawlessly for about a month.
> >I've
> > added a powered USB hub and it's started to BSOD on boot with an error in
> > usbccgp.sys. Usually that's a cold boot...allowing a normal boot after
> > that
> > it seems to work fine; occasionally takes 3 boot attempts.
> >
> > Not sure if it's related to the hub or one of the recent updates. I see
> > in
> > the KB that usbccgp.sys seems to have had some issues in the past.
> >
> > Any thoughts? System works great once it's booted up, no BSOD once
> > running.
> >
> > --
> > M-5

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
Yep, that would be the next best step to try.

> No issues...I'm going to buy another hub today to try it (different
> brand).
> --
> M-5
>

> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> So what happens if you shut down, remove the hub, then start up again?

>> "M-5" <M5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I bought a new Acer Desktop and it worked flawlessly for about a month.
>> >I've
>> > added a powered USB hub and it's started to BSOD on boot with an error
>> > in
>> > usbccgp.sys. Usually that's a cold boot...allowing a normal boot after
>> > that
>> > it seems to work fine; occasionally takes 3 boot attempts.
>> >
>> > Not sure if it's related to the hub or one of the recent updates. I
>> > see
>> > in
>> > the KB that usbccgp.sys seems to have had some issues in the past.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts? System works great once it's booted up, no BSOD once
>> > running.
>> >
>> > --
>> > M-5

M-5

Re: Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
New hub didn't fix it...but it turned out to be the USB microphone. As long
as I leave it plugged into the PC, it's fine. So I shuffled peripherals
around and all is well.
--
M-5

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Yep, that would be the next best step to try.

> "M-5" <M5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No issues...I'm going to buy another hub today to try it (different
> > brand).
> > --
> > M-5
> >

> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> So what happens if you shut down, remove the hub, then start up again?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista BSOD on Startup: usbccgp.sys
Glad to hear you finally got it all sorted out.