Vista Ultimate x64 (SP1) - No Audio Device Installed

Jason Lo Presto

Vista Ultimate x64 (SP1) - No Audio Device Installed
Hello everyone,

I am having a problem getting any sound card to work in Vista SP1 (64 bit
edition).

I have three (3) audio devices to test on:
Asus Sonar D2X -
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio
RealTek High Definition Audio (onbaord)

All three manufacturers claim the support Vista 64 bit. I have installed all
of the latest drivers via the manufacturers website. Even tried some beta
drivers. (Yes, I've disbaled the on board audio via the BIOS).

With each attempt Windows Device Manager correctly identifies each audio
device and lists the proper driver version. However, the sound icon is "x'd"
out and when I open the volume mixer I get "No Audi Device is Installed". I
have tried restarting a million times and also tried putting the PC to sleep
several times, nothing works.

My hardware is as follows:
HP Pavilion (Purchased 4 weeks ago)
Intel Quad Core Extreme Processors with 12mb Cache
6GB RAM
SATA Drives with a split backplane
2 RAID 1 Arrays
756 MB NVIDIA Video Card

Does anyone have any ideas? I also have probelms with basic services not
starting. I am ready to re-image a copy of XP x64 and say goodbye to VISTA
for good.

Please help.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 (SP1) - No Audio Device Installed
What is HP support saying about it? It may be a hardware defect needing
replacement.

"Jason Lo Presto" <JasonLoPresto@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am having a problem getting any sound card to work in Vista SP1 (64 bit
> edition).
>
> I have three (3) audio devices to test on:
> Asus Sonar D2X -
> Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio
> RealTek High Definition Audio (onbaord)
>
> All three manufacturers claim the support Vista 64 bit. I have installed
> all
> of the latest drivers via the manufacturers website. Even tried some beta
> drivers. (Yes, I've disbaled the on board audio via the BIOS).
>
> With each attempt Windows Device Manager correctly identifies each audio
> device and lists the proper driver version. However, the sound icon is
> "x'd"
> out and when I open the volume mixer I get "No Audi Device is Installed".
> have tried restarting a million times and also tried putting the PC to
> sleep
> several times, nothing works.
>
> My hardware is as follows:
> HP Pavilion (Purchased 4 weeks ago)
> Intel Quad Core Extreme Processors with 12mb Cache
> 6GB RAM
> SATA Drives with a split backplane
> 2 RAID 1 Arrays
> 756 MB NVIDIA Video Card
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I also have probelms with basic services not
> starting. I am ready to re-image a copy of XP x64 and say goodbye to
> VISTA
> for good.
>
> Please help.

Jason Lo Presto

Re: Vista Ultimate x64 (SP1) - No Audio Device Installed
Hi Colin,

HP Support is giving me the drivers that came with the system. They really
cannot help me since I setup a RAID array and installed my own copy of Vista
Ultimate.