Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.

Gerald Abrahamson

Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
First time with this problem, although have seen similar
issues posted.

System has been up and running since Nov, and have installed
a variety of hardware and new software with few problems.

Motherboard is Asus M2-R32-MVP w/AMD X2-5200, 4gb memory (2
x 2gb) and a 320 SATA HDD as C drive (200+gb free).

Wanted to add eSATA storage box with four hard drives
(JBOD), so bought a CFI box from Memorylabs. They said the
mb was not "port multiplier aware", so I would need a PCIe
card and the drivers (SiI3132 by Silicon Image).

Installed four 1TB drives in the box, no problem.

The PCIe slot next to video card was open, so I used it
(there is one open PCIe slot still available).

Plugged everything in--HDD box to card, powered it up,
turned on the PC--and the drivers for the SiI3132 can not be
found.

Device Manager shows "Unknown Device" for the SiI3132. Tried
to use Update Drivers--lead it to the directory (downloaded
from Silicon Image), and I get the dreaded "did not find
compatible driver" even though it is in the Windows/AMD64
subdirectory. Same result when trying to use the drivers on
the DVD that came with the card.

Interestingly, Device Manager also shows four separate
"Storage Device" in Portable Devices AND four separate
"Generic Storage Device USB device" under Disk Drives. Hmm,
be nice to get 8TB for the price of four <g>....

So, something is working--because I can see four independent
drives. I would expect the four "extra" hard drives in Hard
Drives (USB device) to go away once the issue is resolved,
but the PCIe card and/or driver seems to be the problem--and
that is not a USB problem.

Anyone else seen this problem and fixed it?
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
I suspect that "AMD64" refers to a class of processors, not operating
systems. It could easily mean that it can be used for an XP SP2 system
running on a 64bit cpu.

"Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
> First time with this problem, although have seen similar
> issues posted.
>
> System has been up and running since Nov, and have installed
> a variety of hardware and new software with few problems.
>
> Motherboard is Asus M2-R32-MVP w/AMD X2-5200, 4gb memory (2
> x 2gb) and a 320 SATA HDD as C drive (200+gb free).
>
> Wanted to add eSATA storage box with four hard drives
> (JBOD), so bought a CFI box from Memorylabs. They said the
> mb was not "port multiplier aware", so I would need a PCIe
> card and the drivers (SiI3132 by Silicon Image).
>
> Installed four 1TB drives in the box, no problem.
>
> The PCIe slot next to video card was open, so I used it
> (there is one open PCIe slot still available).
>
> Plugged everything in--HDD box to card, powered it up,
> turned on the PC--and the drivers for the SiI3132 can not be
> found.
>
> Device Manager shows "Unknown Device" for the SiI3132. Tried
> to use Update Drivers--lead it to the directory (downloaded
> from Silicon Image), and I get the dreaded "did not find
> compatible driver" even though it is in the Windows/AMD64
> subdirectory. Same result when trying to use the drivers on
> the DVD that came with the card.
>
> Interestingly, Device Manager also shows four separate
> "Storage Device" in Portable Devices AND four separate
> "Generic Storage Device USB device" under Disk Drives. Hmm,
> be nice to get 8TB for the price of four <g>....
>
> So, something is working--because I can see four independent
> drives. I would expect the four "extra" hard drives in Hard
> Drives (USB device) to go away once the issue is resolved,
> but the PCIe card and/or driver seems to be the problem--and
> that is not a USB problem.
>
> Anyone else seen this problem and fixed it?

Gerald Abrahamson

Re: Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
Correct, but I believe it refers to a class of chipsets that
support the AMD64-bit processors (not Intel). Otherwise,
there would not also be the IA64 (Intel Architecture) set of
drivers--which also are not compatible.

Forgot to mention OS is Vista 64 Home Premium.

On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:49:41 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
<c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote:

>I suspect that "AMD64" refers to a class of processors, not operating
>systems. It could easily mean that it can be used for an XP SP2 system
>running on a 64bit cpu.
>
>"Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
>news:ubrj249tp3uiub618tcopc5fbq2kd86pjd@4ax.com.. .
>> First time with this problem, although have seen similar
>> issues posted.
>>
>> System has been up and running since Nov, and have installed
>> a variety of hardware and new software with few problems.
>>
>> Motherboard is Asus M2-R32-MVP w/AMD X2-5200, 4gb memory (2
>> x 2gb) and a 320 SATA HDD as C drive (200+gb free).
>>
>> Wanted to add eSATA storage box with four hard drives
>> (JBOD), so bought a CFI box from Memorylabs. They said the
>> mb was not "port multiplier aware", so I would need a PCIe
>> card and the drivers (SiI3132 by Silicon Image).
>>
>> Installed four 1TB drives in the box, no problem.
>>
>> The PCIe slot next to video card was open, so I used it
>> (there is one open PCIe slot still available).
>>
>> Plugged everything in--HDD box to card, powered it up,
>> turned on the PC--and the drivers for the SiI3132 can not be
>> found.
>>
>> Device Manager shows "Unknown Device" for the SiI3132. Tried
>> to use Update Drivers--lead it to the directory (downloaded
>> from Silicon Image), and I get the dreaded "did not find
>> compatible driver" even though it is in the Windows/AMD64
>> subdirectory. Same result when trying to use the drivers on
>> the DVD that came with the card.
>>
>> Interestingly, Device Manager also shows four separate
>> "Storage Device" in Portable Devices AND four separate
>> "Generic Storage Device USB device" under Disk Drives. Hmm,
>> be nice to get 8TB for the price of four <g>....
>>
>> So, something is working--because I can see four independent
>> drives. I would expect the four "extra" hard drives in Hard
>> Drives (USB device) to go away once the issue is resolved,
>> but the PCIe card and/or driver seems to be the problem--and
>> that is not a USB problem.
>>
>> Anyone else seen this problem and fixed it?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
No. IA64 refers not to a chipset but to Itanium cpus.

> Correct, but I believe it refers to a class of chipsets that
> support the AMD64-bit processors (not Intel). Otherwise,
> there would not also be the IA64 (Intel Architecture) set of
> drivers--which also are not compatible.
>
> Forgot to mention OS is Vista 64 Home Premium.
>

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:49:41 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
> <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I suspect that "AMD64" refers to a class of processors, not operating
>>systems. It could easily mean that it can be used for an XP SP2 system
>>running on a 64bit cpu.
>>
>>"Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
>>news:ubrj249tp3uiub618tcopc5fbq2kd86pjd@4ax.com. ..
>>> First time with this problem, although have seen similar
>>> issues posted.
>>>
>>> System has been up and running since Nov, and have installed
>>> a variety of hardware and new software with few problems.
>>>
>>> Motherboard is Asus M2-R32-MVP w/AMD X2-5200, 4gb memory (2
>>> x 2gb) and a 320 SATA HDD as C drive (200+gb free).
>>>
>>> Wanted to add eSATA storage box with four hard drives
>>> (JBOD), so bought a CFI box from Memorylabs. They said the
>>> mb was not "port multiplier aware", so I would need a PCIe
>>> card and the drivers (SiI3132 by Silicon Image).
>>>
>>> Installed four 1TB drives in the box, no problem.
>>>
>>> The PCIe slot next to video card was open, so I used it
>>> (there is one open PCIe slot still available).
>>>
>>> Plugged everything in--HDD box to card, powered it up,
>>> turned on the PC--and the drivers for the SiI3132 can not be
>>> found.
>>>
>>> Device Manager shows "Unknown Device" for the SiI3132. Tried
>>> to use Update Drivers--lead it to the directory (downloaded
>>> from Silicon Image), and I get the dreaded "did not find
>>> compatible driver" even though it is in the Windows/AMD64
>>> subdirectory. Same result when trying to use the drivers on
>>> the DVD that came with the card.
>>>
>>> Interestingly, Device Manager also shows four separate
>>> "Storage Device" in Portable Devices AND four separate
>>> "Generic Storage Device USB device" under Disk Drives. Hmm,
>>> be nice to get 8TB for the price of four <g>....
>>>
>>> So, something is working--because I can see four independent
>>> drives. I would expect the four "extra" hard drives in Hard
>>> Drives (USB device) to go away once the issue is resolved,
>>> but the PCIe card and/or driver seems to be the problem--and
>>> that is not a USB problem.
>>>
>>> Anyone else seen this problem and fixed it?

Greg R

Re: Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
This is correct IA64 is Intel Itanium CPU.

I just went to Silicon Image web site and they show a Vista driver and
various other OS drivers including 64bit drivers for a few OS's but I didn't
see a Vista 64 bit driver. Hopefully the Vista driver they list is 64 bit
compatible. I'd try downloading that driver and see if it'll work for you.
If not, I would contact their support and ask if there is a Vista 64 bit
driver.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> No. IA64 refers not to a chipset but to Itanium cpus.
>
> "Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
>> Correct, but I believe it refers to a class of chipsets that
>> support the AMD64-bit processors (not Intel). Otherwise,
>> there would not also be the IA64 (Intel Architecture) set of
>> drivers--which also are not compatible.
>>
>> Forgot to mention OS is Vista 64 Home Premium.
>>

>> On Tue, 13 May 2008 14:49:41 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
>> <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I suspect that "AMD64" refers to a class of processors, not operating
>>>systems. It could easily mean that it can be used for an XP SP2 system
>>>running on a 64bit cpu.
>>>
>>>"Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
>>>news:ubrj249tp3uiub618tcopc5fbq2kd86pjd@4ax.com ...

Gerald Abrahamson

Re: Re: Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
I already downloaded and tried that driver--that is why I am
here.... Thanks for looking, though.

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:03:00 -0700, "Greg R"
<rogersgr@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This is correct IA64 is Intel Itanium CPU.
>
>I just went to Silicon Image web site and they show a Vista driver and
>various other OS drivers including 64bit drivers for a few OS's but I didn't
>see a Vista 64 bit driver. Hopefully the Vista driver they list is 64 bit
>compatible. I'd try downloading that driver and see if it'll work for you.
>If not, I would contact their support and ask if there is a Vista 64 bit
>driver.
>

>"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> No. IA64 refers not to a chipset but to Itanium cpus.
>>
>> "Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
>>> Correct, but I believe it refers to a class of chipsets that
>>> support the AMD64-bit processors (not Intel). Otherwise,
>>> there would not also be the IA64 (Intel Architecture) set of
>>> drivers--which also are not compatible.
>>>
>>> Forgot to mention OS is Vista 64 Home Premium.

Greg R

Re: Re: Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
That's very odd. Have you tried both the Base driver and the SATARAID5 64
bit driver just to see if it can pick up either of them?

This is something I don't understand from their website on installing
drivers.

"When selecting a driver for upgrade or installation, pick the latest
released driver for your Silicon Image controller part number. Install the
driver that is the same type as the BIOS you have installed for your
controller."

Does this mean you need a specific BIOS installed for specific drivers?
Maybe that is the problem if that's the case.

Sorry I can't be more help. I'm a hands on kind of person and can usually
figure these kinds of problems out, but without the same controller in my
hands it's hard to give help, can only give suggestions that might hit on
something you haven't thought of.

Good luck!

>I already downloaded and tried that driver--that is why I am
> here.... Thanks for looking, though.
>

> On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:03:00 -0700, "Greg R"
> <rogersgr@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is correct IA64 is Intel Itanium CPU.
>>
>>I just went to Silicon Image web site and they show a Vista driver and
>>various other OS drivers including 64bit drivers for a few OS's but I
>>didn't
>>see a Vista 64 bit driver. Hopefully the Vista driver they list is 64 bit
>>compatible. I'd try downloading that driver and see if it'll work for you.
>>If not, I would contact their support and ask if there is a Vista 64 bit
>>driver.
>>

>>"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> No. IA64 refers not to a chipset but to Itanium cpus.

Gerald Abrahamson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Vista 64 does not see drivers for SiI3132 PCIe card--have driver disk.
Finally nailed most of the problem--but not all of it.

Turned out the PCIe card was not seating fully--and it would
tip the back of the card up (and out of the slot) when
putting in the screw. Have seen that problem before....

Everything ALMOST works--except I can't get the drives to
initialize. I am Admin (only user), but the option does not
exist anywhere.

I can see all four new drives in the Device Manager and Disk
Storage (and even in the SiI3132 in Device Manager--Storage
Controllers), but none gives the option to Initialize. Tried
to do Simple Drive Setup (one volume/drive), but it won't go
because none of the drives are initialized.

Grrr.... So close...