Having problems with IPOD and other USB Devices? - Could be Norton?

andrewtewkesbury

Having problems with IPOD and other USB Devices? - Could be Norton?

Hi,

Thought I would post the problems I encountered with usb devices
(especially ipod) and how I resolved this. If I can save anyone a
fraction of the hassle I've had it will be worth it.

Since upgrading to vista64 ultimate nearly a month ago I have run into
some major problems and essentially the experience has been thoroughly,
thoroughly miserable. Now finally starting to make some progress.
Anyway, onto the usb problem......

My method of installation was as follows:

- Clean install
- Install sound, graphics drivers
- Install SP1
- Setup users
- Copy over documents, photos, music etc...
- Install Symantec Norton Internet security 2007
- Install Itunes
- Finally fun stufff like games etc.....I think I have done clean installs of vista about 8 times recently to
try and fix various problems. I came into fatal problems copying data
from a previous harddrive and so was largely stuck at 5. During this
time I occasionally needed to print something so was amazed and
impressed that at this stage all I needed to do was turn the printer on
and all was well.

Once I finally got over the problem at 5 I went onto do the rest.
Everything installed fine but none of the IPODs (3 people use the
computer) could be recognised by Windows or Itunes. Upon connecting new
hardware was found but at all attempts no drivers were ever found. I
then did a web search and found that a lot of people have been having
this problem but no solution seems to have been found.

Que 1 hour phone call to apple.....this was of course useless and they
have charged me £25 for the support!!!!!!! Useless.......

For some reason I need to print something. OK I think, at least that
works. Wrong! Same driver problem as the IPOD. Even when I go to the
Canon website and download the correct drivers it just ignores them.
Following day my wife complains the Camera won't connect. I tried all of
these installs with the Norton firewall turned off. I suspect a general
usb problem now......

I did however do a complete system backup at point 3, and restored to
this point. IPOD, Printer Camera and every other usb device i can find
now seem to work fine!!! The problem must be Norton 2007. I have since
installed this over the top of the working system and it still seems to
be working fine, not had chance to do a proper test yet.

When I find time I will forward this to Symantec but the support system
is a maze!

Hope this helps,

Andrew

--