CD-ROM Failure to Start

kittycath27

CD-ROM Failure to Start
I have been trying to fix my friend's computer. She has a Dell computer with
Windows Vista. For some reason, everytime a cd is put in, the computer
crashes. We thought it was a problem with the autoplay feature, so we turned
autoplay off and made it prompt you when cds and dvds are inserted. But when
I try to load software, the computer either freezes or crashes still. I
tried bringing up control panel to get into the inserted disk, but I get the
same result. When I go into the System Diagnostics, it says:

Symptom: Device cannot start
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from starting
properly.
Details: The device, CD-ROM Drive, cannot start properly. It may not have
the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The
Plug and Play ID for this device is
SCSI\CDROM-VEN_VOBID-PROD_INSTANTDRIVE_CD-REV_14\1-171323FD-0-000000.

I tried following the resolutions, but when I attempted to go in and "Check
for Solutions", nothing comes up. I also tried updating the driver, but it
says it's up-to-date. I don't know how to solve this problem. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: CD-ROM Failure to Start
Open the Device Manager, right-click on each CD or DVD drive
and click "Uninstall". Restart the computer and Windows Vista will
reinstall them properly.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"kittycath27" <kittycath27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB59CE76-9761-439B-BB1C-B2A1CF4E460D@microsoft.com...
[...]

I tried that and when I restarted it, the same message was on the driver.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Open the Device Manager, right-click on each CD or DVD drive
> and click "Uninstall". Restart the computer and Windows Vista will
> reinstall them properly.
>

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience -
> Windows Vista Enthusiast

> "kittycath27" <kittycath27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB59CE76-9761-439B-BB1C-B2A1CF4E460D@microsoft.com...
> I have been trying to fix my friend's computer. She has a Dell computer with
> Windows Vista. For some reason, everytime a cd is put in, the computer
> crashes. We thought it was a problem with the autoplay feature, so we turned
> autoplay off and made it prompt you when cds and dvds are inserted. But when
> I try to load software, the computer either freezes or crashes still. I
> tried bringing up control panel to get into the inserted disk, but I get the
> same result. When I go into the System Diagnostics, it says:
>
> Symptom: Device cannot start
> Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from starting
> properly.
> Details: The device, CD-ROM Drive, cannot start properly. It may not have
> the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The
> Plug and Play ID for this device is
> SCSI\CDROM-VEN_VOBID-PROD_INSTANTDRIVE_CD-REV_14\1-171323FD-0-000000.
>
> I tried following the resolutions, but when I attempted to go in and "Check
> for Solutions", nothing comes up. I also tried updating the driver, but it
> says it's up-to-date. I don't know how to solve this problem. Any help
> would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Frankland

Re: CD-ROM Failure to Start
I'm kind of having a similar problem

I've recently installed Vista Business (32bit) but am having problems when a
Dvd or CD is in the Dvd drive (NEC 2510A)and the icon for the Dvd drive is
clicked in Computer.

The Dvd (or CD) will spin in the drive for a while as but if I go into
Computer then click on the drive’s icon, then Computer will stop responding
unless the disc is taken out, other times I’ve had to end Windows Explorer at
times as the system has acted like nothing hs happened but I have other times
I end Windows Explorer, sometimes I have to restart the pc.

The only other optical drives I had where the ones from Alcohol 120% but if
I load an image to a virtual drive in Alcohol I don’t have any problems at
all, I’ve uninstalled Nero 7 and Alcohol 120% to see if its problems lies
there but its not as I’m getting the same problems when both programs are
uninstalled.

I have had this working, when I updated my Motherboards Bios from 0801 to
0902, installed Vista Business (32bit) and then managed to install Microsoft
office 2003 after a few windows updates, but now it seems not to be working
anymore.

The drive is fully working as I am able to get in to the Windows XP Setup
(after selecting the dvd drive in the boot menu from the motherboard post
screen), I have also tried opening the the drive with a disc in, in Safe Mode
and removing it from device manager but with no luck and the Dvd drives light
is always on a solid green when Computer isn't responding but then goes off
when Computer starts to responding again.

(Note: Computer = the My Computer in XP)

PC Specs - AMD Athlon x2 4200, Asus M2N4-SLI Motherboard (bios version 1202)
1x320gig, 2xKingston KVR667D2N5/2 Ram, Western Digital HDD, 1x80gig Western
Digital HDD, 1x160 Samsung HDD, 1x200 Seagate HDD, Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT gfx
card, Optical Drive - NEC DVD RW ND-2510A (2.19 firmware), Windows Vista
Business 32bit OS