Vista can't seem to find drivers... no matter what USB device.

GAURC

Vista can't seem to find drivers... no matter what USB device.
I've seen many posts about difficulty locating hardware drivers. I'm
installing Vista-compatible device software just fine, but it seems virtually
any USB device I try to install is defeated when Vista sees the device and
tries to 'install drivers.' Vista checks the hard drive and the web and
eventually says the drivers can not be found; thus, no device. I've tried
browsing to the program folders for drivers and that doesn't satisfy Vista
either.

I absolutely love my new PC, and can accept that there will be some favorite
software that won't run on Vista. But it would seem to me that a new version
of Windows would/should bring with it the wisdom and knowledge of previous
versions, not the nearly complete amnesia of Vista. Clearly, the
time-investment of reverting to XP Pro is far less expensive and more
satisfying than purchasing all-new peripherals.

My biggest disappointment is that I really like the Vista environment; It is
clean, responsive, looks great and a definate step forward in the Windows
series... provided you aren't already a Windows owner, then it is a step in
the opposite direction. In just 2 weeks I've gone from an advanced XP user to
a Vista idiot that can't even get a USB printer to work... not very
encouraging.

--
http://www.gaurc.us
PaulB

RE: Vista can't seem to find drivers... no matter what USB device.
So people have had luck with this.

http://pmhesse.blogspot.com/2007/07/...ver-cache.html
--
Paul

"GAURC" wrote:

> I've seen many posts about difficulty locating hardware drivers. I'm
> installing Vista-compatible device software just fine, but it seems virtually
> any USB device I try to install is defeated when Vista sees the device and
> tries to 'install drivers.' Vista checks the hard drive and the web and
> eventually says the drivers can not be found; thus, no device. I've tried
> browsing to the program folders for drivers and that doesn't satisfy Vista
> either.
>
> I absolutely love my new PC, and can accept that there will be some favorite
> software that won't run on Vista. But it would seem to me that a new version
> of Windows would/should bring with it the wisdom and knowledge of previous
> versions, not the nearly complete amnesia of Vista. Clearly, the
> time-investment of reverting to XP Pro is far less expensive and more
> satisfying than purchasing all-new peripherals.
>
> My biggest disappointment is that I really like the Vista environment; It is
> clean, responsive, looks great and a definate step forward in the Windows
> series... provided you aren't already a Windows owner, then it is a step in
> the opposite direction. In just 2 weeks I've gone from an advanced XP user to
> a Vista idiot that can't even get a USB printer to work... not very
> encouraging.
>
> --
> http://www.gaurc.us

GAURC

RE: Vista can't seem to find drivers... no matter what USB device.
Thank you, Paul... very helpful.

Also, for the benefit of others:

Important Safety Tip #1

If you have Windows Vista, you had better have internet access. I'm not
talking dialup here, I mean lots of internet.

If you have internet access, things will come into play with minimal
coaxing. Without it, you might as well find a cave go hide there... because
Vista will be worthless.

My DSL finally became active today, and it seems the clouds have moved away
and the sunshine can't be stopped. Virtually every problem with hardware
conflicts and device drivers has been solved (so far.)

So, once again... Vista without internet is nothing more than a paper
weight. But, with it, there is hope for the furure; a future with Vista.

I for one, am willing to forgive for now and give Vista another try.

~Rick
--
http://www.gaurc.us