Re: How to enable Cool 'n' Quiet in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?ZHJnNTU=?=

Re: How to enable Cool 'n' Quiet in Vista
This appears to be correct. I have an Asus k8v-x and with cpu-z processor is
running at 2000 when it should be 1000 unless pushed. I have enabled cool
and quiet in the bios and set power management in control centre to minimal.
Rebooted and still running at 2000 per cpu-z (a great utility) but temp is at
least down to 31 this time (per Asusprobe). Temp usually runs at about 32 c
in win2k, but has reached 42 in Vista. While this is safe, I am not at all
happy about it, and at the least I don't expect any arguments from Microsoft
activation if I upgrade the motherboard - but I figure best to do that later
this year or early next when more drivers and vista specific motherboards
are released.

"JayKay" wrote:

> OK, for posterity, responding to my original query, I think Cool 'n' Quiet
> under Vista is dependent on the specific motherboard and/or processor.
>
> With my old machine Cool 'n' Quiet did not work with Vista. With my new PC,
> it works great.
> Same software and settings.
>
> My original question concerned:
> Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 754 Newcastle
> Cool 'n' Quiet worked under Windows XP SP2, the processor usually operates
> at 1/2 speed (1100 Mhz).
> Cool 'n' Quiet did work not under Vista x64 beta 2, always full 2200 Mhz
>
> My new machine:
> Asus A8V-E SE
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 Venice
> Vista or XP SP2, the CPU is mostly running at 1000 Mhz, revs up to 2000 Mhz
> when needed.

keith schaefer

Re: How to enable Cool 'n' Quiet in Vista
Frack man, you worry too much about temps. 42c is actually quite decent and
you should stop being so anal about it. OEM boxes typically run hotter than
that by 10c or more.....

Heck, I run my E6400 (2.13ghz x 2 stock) at 3200mhz (overclocked) but since
I have an aftermarket (and quiet) cooler installed, I never break 62c load
temps, since I run various prgrams such as Folding@Home (cancer research)
when I am not using the machine, it stays loaded pretty much anytime I am at
work or gone. Maybe you should runsomething like this and make a
contribution to society instead of whining about silly things like
cool-n-quiet :-)

"drg55" <drg55@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This appears to be correct. I have an Asus k8v-x and with cpu-z processor
> is
> running at 2000 when it should be 1000 unless pushed. I have enabled cool
> and quiet in the bios and set power management in control centre to
> minimal.
> Rebooted and still running at 2000 per cpu-z (a great utility) but temp is
> at
> least down to 31 this time (per Asusprobe). Temp usually runs at about 32
> in win2k, but has reached 42 in Vista. While this is safe, I am not at
> all
> happy about it, and at the least I don't expect any arguments from
> Microsoft
> activation if I upgrade the motherboard - but I figure best to do that
> later
> this year or early next when more drivers and vista specific motherboards
> are released.
>
> "JayKay" wrote:
>
>> OK, for posterity, responding to my original query, I think Cool 'n'
>> Quiet
>> under Vista is dependent on the specific motherboard and/or processor.
>>
>> With my old machine Cool 'n' Quiet did not work with Vista. With my new
>> PC,
>> it works great.
>> Same software and settings.
>>
>> My original question concerned:
>> Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
>> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 754 Newcastle
>> Cool 'n' Quiet worked under Windows XP SP2, the processor usually
>> operates
>> at 1/2 speed (1100 Mhz).
>> Cool 'n' Quiet did work not under Vista x64 beta 2, always full 2200 Mhz
>>
>> My new machine:
>> Asus A8V-E SE
>> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 Venice
>> Vista or XP SP2, the CPU is mostly running at 1000 Mhz, revs up to 2000
>> Mhz
>> when needed.

mikeyhsd

Re: How to enable Cool 'n' Quiet in Vista
try speed fan instead. what I use and get better temp/fan read outs.
or the FREE version of Everesthome.
the idea is to make sure your program is reading correctly.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"JayKay" wrote:

> OK, for posterity, responding to my original query, I think Cool 'n' Quiet
> under Vista is dependent on the specific motherboard and/or processor.
>
> With my old machine Cool 'n' Quiet did not work with Vista. With my new PC,
> it works great.
> Same software and settings.
>
> My original question concerned:
> Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 754 Newcastle
> Cool 'n' Quiet worked under Windows XP SP2, the processor usually operates
> at 1/2 speed (1100 Mhz).
> Cool 'n' Quiet did work not under Vista x64 beta 2, always full 2200 Mhz
>
> My new machine:
> Asus A8V-E SE
> AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 Venice
> Vista or XP SP2, the CPU is mostly running at 1000 Mhz, revs up to 2000 Mhz
> when needed.

Steve Thackery

Re: How to enable Cool 'n' Quiet in Vista
Blimey, 42 degrees! This is distinctly cool for a processor. You could go
thirty degrees higher and not do any harm (in reality, much higher than that
even, but the processor's thermal protection will eventually kick in).

For goodness sake, stop worrying about it!!

The fan speed is irrelevant, too. What matters (to most people) is the fan
NOISE. If that's too high, get yourself a Zalman flower. That'll sort it
out.

Thack