DNS Problem

Rob

DNS Problem
I have a Dell E520 with vista home premium connected to the internet via NB9W
modem router.pppoe is established in the router and I have always been able
to connect to the internet ok. Now I can ping any site using its ip address
but not with a domain name.My router is showing the correct DNS server
address And My pcs ipv4 stack is set to automatically get dns and ip
addresses from the router.Ipconfig is showing these have been obtained ok but
no internet connection via domain names .If I put the actual dns server ips
into the ipv4 stack I am back in business.Seems the pc knows the router is
the place to look for dns but cant get the dns address.Any ideas please as I
dont like leaving it as is when I know there is a problem.
Rick Rogers

Re: DNS Problem
Hi Rob,

Open an elevated command prompt. Run:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

To open an elevated command prompt, click start and type CMD. Right click
the entry that appears in the menu and choose 'run as administrator'. Click
continue at the UAC dialog. You must use this mode for these commands to
work properly.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell E520 with vista home premium connected to the internet via
>NB9W
> modem router.pppoe is established in the router and I have always been
> able
> to connect to the internet ok. Now I can ping any site using its ip
> address
> but not with a domain name.My router is showing the correct DNS server
> address And My pcs ipv4 stack is set to automatically get dns and ip
> addresses from the router.Ipconfig is showing these have been obtained ok
> but
> no internet connection via domain names .If I put the actual dns server
> ips
> into the ipv4 stack I am back in business.Seems the pc knows the router is
> the place to look for dns but cant get the dns address.Any ideas please as
> dont like leaving it as is when I know there is a problem.

Rob

Re: DNS Problem
Hi Rick

Many thanks for your help.I carried out your steps from an elevated command
and in spite of a few problems can now access the internet normally.So tks
again.
/flushdns was carried out sucessfully but both /release and /renew resulted
in a lot of information headed by "An error occurred while releasing
interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : the system cannot find the file
specified."
Any idea what this means? I just wonder if I have ended with a temporary fix
and still have problems.Anyway an thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> Open an elevated command prompt. Run:
>
> ipconfig /release
> ipconfig /flushdns
> ipconfig /renew
>
> To open an elevated command prompt, click start and type CMD. Right click
> the entry that appears in the menu and choose 'run as administrator'. Click
> continue at the UAC dialog. You must use this mode for these commands to
> work properly.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell E520 with vista home premium connected to the internet via
> >NB9W
> > modem router.pppoe is established in the router and I have always been
> > able
> > to connect to the internet ok. Now I can ping any site using its ip
> > address
> > but not with a domain name.My router is showing the correct DNS server
> > address And My pcs ipv4 stack is set to automatically get dns and ip
> > addresses from the router.Ipconfig is showing these have been obtained ok
> > but
> > no internet connection via domain names .If I put the actual dns server
> > ips
> > into the ipv4 stack I am back in business.Seems the pc knows the router is
> > the place to look for dns but cant get the dns address.Any ideas please as
> > dont like leaving it as is when I know there is a problem.

Rick Rogers

Re: DNS Problem
Hi,

It may be part of the problem, it's related to IPv6 protocols. The current
standard is IPv4, but many systems have the newer one enabled by default. An
updated driver for the network card may help.

--

> Hi Rick
>
> Many thanks for your help.I carried out your steps from an elevated
> command
> and in spite of a few problems can now access the internet normally.So tks
> again.
> /flushdns was carried out sucessfully but both /release and /renew
> resulted
> in a lot of information headed by "An error occurred while releasing
> interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : the system cannot find the file
> specified."
> Any idea what this means? I just wonder if I have ended with a temporary
> fix
> and still have problems.Anyway an thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Rob
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Open an elevated command prompt. Run:
>>
>> ipconfig /release
>> ipconfig /flushdns
>> ipconfig /renew
>>
>> To open an elevated command prompt, click start and type CMD. Right click
>> the entry that appears in the menu and choose 'run as administrator'.
>> Click
>> continue at the UAC dialog. You must use this mode for these commands to
>> work properly.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a Dell E520 with vista home premium connected to the internet via
>> >NB9W
>> > modem router.pppoe is established in the router and I have always been
>> > able
>> > to connect to the internet ok. Now I can ping any site using its ip
>> > address
>> > but not with a domain name.My router is showing the correct DNS server
>> > address And My pcs ipv4 stack is set to automatically get dns and ip
>> > addresses from the router.Ipconfig is showing these have been obtained
>> > ok
>> > but
>> > no internet connection via domain names .If I put the actual dns server
>> > ips
>> > into the ipv4 stack I am back in business.Seems the pc knows the router
>> > is
>> > the place to look for dns but cant get the dns address.Any ideas please
>> > as
>> > dont like leaving it as is when I know there is a problem.

Rob

Re: DNS Problem
Thanks Rick
Guess its nothing much to worry about then.Will look for an updated driver
but if not its now working ok..I carried out a /release and /renew again
looking more closely at the output and doing an ipconfig after each
operation. When I did it before I thought, in view of the error msg,that it
hadnt worked but after the release my pcs ip was 169.x.x.x which I think is
the ip windows gives to pc if it cant find a DHCP server.Then after the renew
it went to 192.x.x.x which is what the router hands out.So in spite of the
msg it worked ok.
Its great to be able to get help like this so thanks again.
Rob