LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager

dpower

LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager
Somehow Windows XP has deleted the LPT1 port fom my Device Manager so now my
printer will not print. How can I renew it?
Thanks.
--
dpower
Rick Rogers

Re: LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager
Hi,

Control Panel/Add hardware

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dpower" <damianpower@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Somehow Windows XP has deleted the LPT1 port fom my Device Manager so now
> my
> printer will not print. How can I renew it?
> Thanks.
> --
> dpower

dpower

Re: LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager
Thanks Rick.
However, I tried that but LPT1 does not appear. When I click on "Printer
Port" it only shows LPT3. So the problem persists.

--
dpower

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Control Panel/Add hardware
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dpower" <damianpower@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Somehow Windows XP has deleted the LPT1 port fom my Device Manager so now
> > my
> > printer will not print. How can I renew it?
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > dpower

Rick Rogers

Re: LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager
Hi,

Did you check that the port is enabled in the system BIOS?

--

> Thanks Rick.
> However, I tried that but LPT1 does not appear. When I click on "Printer
> Port" it only shows LPT3. So the problem persists.
>

> --
> dpower
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Control Panel/Add hardware
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "dpower" <damianpower@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> > Somehow Windows XP has deleted the LPT1 port fom my Device Manager so
>> > now
>> > my
>> > printer will not print. How can I renew it?
>> > Thanks.
>> > --
>> > dpower

dpower

Re: LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager
Hi Rick,
When I turn on my computer I now get a display under "ASUS" of : "P4VP-MX" I
don't recall ever having seen this before the problem began.

It then opens Windows XP without allowing me to view the BIOS file. In
addition, when I try to shut down in the normal manner it does not do so but
instead I am obliged to Log Off, Switch to different user and then close. The
problem has only arisen since I switched to cable high speed internet.
Thanks for your suggestions. Any other ideas?

dpower

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Did you check that the port is enabled in the system BIOS?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dpower" <damianpower@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Thanks Rick.
> > However, I tried that but LPT1 does not appear. When I click on "Printer
> > Port" it only shows LPT3. So the problem persists.
> >

> > --
> > dpower
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Control Panel/Add hardware
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

propman

Re: LPT1 Port deleted from Device Manager
=?Utf-8?B?ZHBvd2Vy?= <damianpower@shaw.ca> wrote in

> Hi Rick,
> When I turn on my computer I now get a display under "ASUS" of :
> "P4VP-MX" I don't recall ever having seen this before the problem
> began.

That's the motherboard model number.

Has there been an automatic update of your BIOS since installing the
high speed.....could be a reason why you are seeing a new splash screen.

> It then opens Windows XP without allowing me to view the BIOS file.

Look in the documentation for your unit to see what key(s) to press
before Windows starts booting to enter the BIOS setup. It's usually a
key like F2 or the Esc key or a combination of keys; some systems BIOS's
can only be accessed with a setup disk.

> In
> addition, when I try to shut down in the normal manner it does not do
> so but instead I am obliged to Log Off, Switch to different user and
> then close. The problem has only arisen since I switched to cable high
> speed internet. Thanks for your suggestions. Any other ideas?

Off the top of my head.....could be "Administrator rights" issue, check
the "Users Accounts" in "Control Panel". Can't remember offhand if there
is also an "Advanced Users Profiles Properties" in XP as there is in
Vista......hmmmm, come to think of it, why is an XP question being asked
in a Vista hardware newsgroup? <grin>