2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib

lairdwh

2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib
I want to have 2 desktop computers, one in the city, one in the country, and
carry one bootable USB drive between them. (And I would backup to a cloned,
serial SATA drive, internal).

I heard that from a HP support person that microsoft is planning to create
this possibility in the future. What do you know about this. (And what
searchable phrases might reveal their plans).
Colin Barnhorst

Re: 2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib
What are asking?

"lairdwh" <lairdwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to have 2 desktop computers, one in the city, one in the country,
>and
> carry one bootable USB drive between them. (And I would backup to a
> cloned,
> serial SATA drive, internal).
>
> I heard that from a HP support person that microsoft is planning to
> create
> this possibility in the future. What do you know about this. (And what
> searchable phrases might reveal their plans).

Mike Hall - MVP

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What are asking?
>
> "lairdwh" <lairdwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I want to have 2 desktop computers, one in the city, one in the country,
>>and
>> carry one bootable USB drive between them. (And I would backup to a
>> cloned,
>> serial SATA drive, internal).
>>
>> I heard that from a HP support person that microsoft is planning to
>> create
>> this possibility in the future. What do you know about this. (And what
>> searchable phrases might reveal their plans).

I think that the OP wants to have an installation of Vista on a portable
drive for the purposes of using it on two different systems, thus saving the
cost of a second license, while at the same time enjoying a 'contiguous'
computing experience across both locations..

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you do say will be syndicated
via Google across the internet for all to see and forever more..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: 2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib
One Windows Vista license for each computer. Period.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"lairdwh" <lairdwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D1DA45D-0DB5-4794-9621-2BE52A619484@microsoft.com...
I want to have 2 desktop computers, one in the city, one in the country, and
carry one bootable USB drive between them. (And I would backup to a cloned,
serial SATA drive, internal).

I heard that from a HP support person that microsoft is planning to create
this possibility in the future. What do you know about this. (And what
searchable phrases might reveal their plans).
DL

Re: 2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib
Unless you speak with MS directly anything you hear is only rumour.
The facility you seek is IMO most unlikely

"lairdwh" <lairdwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to have 2 desktop computers, one in the city, one in the country,
>and
> carry one bootable USB drive between them. (And I would backup to a
> cloned,
> serial SATA drive, internal).
>
> I heard that from a HP support person that microsoft is planning to
> create
> this possibility in the future. What do you know about this. (And what
> searchable phrases might reveal their plans).

Rick Rogers

Re: 2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib
Hi,

I know of no such plans, and it doesn't sound like something that Microsoft
would likely allow in their licensing schemes.

Vista does not support installing to and booting from a USB connected drive,
and the throughput rate would be too slow to be useful even if it did.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"lairdwh" <lairdwh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to have 2 desktop computers, one in the city, one in the country,
>and
> carry one bootable USB drive between them. (And I would backup to a
> cloned,
> serial SATA drive, internal).
>
> I heard that from a HP support person that microsoft is planning to
> create
> this possibility in the future. What do you know about this. (And what
> searchable phrases might reveal their plans).

Colin Barnhorst

Re: 2 desktop computers in 2 locations. 1 USB bootable drive. Possib
If you are talking about running Vista from a typical usb drive forget it.
Won't happen and MS has stated in the past that the capability to boot from
a usb device will not be supported in Vista. You might be able to install
Vista in a virtual machine that is saved on an exFAT device and that would
be transportable but also would require a separate licence for the copy of
Vista in the virtual machine. I do not have further info on the
availability of exFAT usb devices but you can google on "exfat" to see what
is happening in that regard. None of this involves anything MS is doing.
It is all third party stuff.

The bottom line is that every installed copy of Vista requires its own
license.