Unsigned / Old Device Drivers in Vista

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Unsigned / Old Device Drivers in Vista
I need to get a new laptop, but have never liked some of Windows XP's
"features" - mainly

that it often thinks it knows what I want better than I do! I'd like to find
out about some

things in Vista before going with that though, in case it's even worse than
XP (which it may

be if some of what I've heard is true). I currently use Windows 2000, as
that was available

at the time and I much prefer it to XP.

One problem I have found with XP is that it doesn't like installing unsigned
device drivers,

preferring to install a signed driver even if an unsigned one is
specifically chosen. I have

heard that Vista is even worse, usually not loading unsigned drivers at all.
I have seen on

these forums that Vista can be made to load unsigned drivers by booting into
a different

mode, but is there a way of setting it up to always boot into this mode
without having to

select is each time? Would there be any disadvantage of always booting into
this mode? (I

don't consider being able to use unsigned drivers to be a disadvantage!)

Also, I have several USB devices which I want to continue to use. Should
Vista be able to

use the Windows 2000 / XP drivers for these until such time as Vista drivers
are released? I

think I recall correctly that 2000/XP could use 98 drivers to enable old
hardware to be

used? The devices I think are most likely to cause a problem are USB-enabled
MiniDisc

recorders (Sony MZ-N510 and MDS-JE780), Printer (Canon i70) and Camera
(Canon Digital Ixus

IIs). The rest should be able to use standard drivers from the OS (keyboard,
mouse, various

storage devices). Is there any easy way of finding out if devices will work
under Vista? I

might find time to look into dual booting a demo of Vista on my current
machine to try

things out.

Thanks,
Mark.
Billy

Re: Unsigned / Old Device Drivers in Vista
I am not an expert, but have managed to install unsigned drivers for my
nVidea Geforce Go 7600 that alloow me to use the 100.141 versions so I think
that you are worrying uneccesarly. I think that anti-microsoft people think
that the company try to stop us controlling the computer. my experience is
more that the OS doesn't allow me to make mistakes easily, but when i really
want to do soemthing there is a way.

Hope that helps

Billy

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to get a new laptop, but have never liked some of Windows XP's
> "features" - mainly
>
> that it often thinks it knows what I want better than I do! I'd like to
> find
> out about some
>
> things in Vista before going with that though, in case it's even worse
> than
> XP (which it may
>
> be if some of what I've heard is true). I currently use Windows 2000, as
> that was available
>
> at the time and I much prefer it to XP.
>
> One problem I have found with XP is that it doesn't like installing
> unsigned
> device drivers,
>
> preferring to install a signed driver even if an unsigned one is
> specifically chosen. I have
>
> heard that Vista is even worse, usually not loading unsigned drivers at
> all.
> I have seen on
>
> these forums that Vista can be made to load unsigned drivers by booting
> into
> a different
>
> mode, but is there a way of setting it up to always boot into this mode
> without having to
>
> select is each time? Would there be any disadvantage of always booting
> into
> this mode? (I
>
> don't consider being able to use unsigned drivers to be a disadvantage!)
>
> Also, I have several USB devices which I want to continue to use. Should
> Vista be able to
>
> use the Windows 2000 / XP drivers for these until such time as Vista
> drivers
> are released? I
>
> think I recall correctly that 2000/XP could use 98 drivers to enable old
> hardware to be
>
> used? The devices I think are most likely to cause a problem are
> USB-enabled
> MiniDisc
>
> recorders (Sony MZ-N510 and MDS-JE780), Printer (Canon i70) and Camera
> (Canon Digital Ixus
>
> IIs). The rest should be able to use standard drivers from the OS
> (keyboard,
> mouse, various
>
> storage devices). Is there any easy way of finding out if devices will
> work
> under Vista? I
>
> might find time to look into dual booting a demo of Vista on my current
> machine to try
>
> things out.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

RE: Unsigned / Old Device Drivers in Vista
Mark:
This is what I have done in order to end up with the need of pressing F8
during every boot and tell Vista not to care about unsigned drivers.

When in Vista, run this command at an elevated command prompt

Bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON

Reboot and you are done.

You will see "Test Mode" in the four corners of your screen wallpaper.
I have already got used to it.

Carlos
"Mark" wrote:

> I need to get a new laptop, but have never liked some of Windows XP's
> "features" - mainly
>
> that it often thinks it knows what I want better than I do! I'd like to find
> out about some
>
> things in Vista before going with that though, in case it's even worse than
> XP (which it may
>
> be if some of what I've heard is true). I currently use Windows 2000, as
> that was available
>
> at the time and I much prefer it to XP.
>
> One problem I have found with XP is that it doesn't like installing unsigned
> device drivers,
>
> preferring to install a signed driver even if an unsigned one is
> specifically chosen. I have
>
> heard that Vista is even worse, usually not loading unsigned drivers at all.
> I have seen on
>
> these forums that Vista can be made to load unsigned drivers by booting into
> a different
>
> mode, but is there a way of setting it up to always boot into this mode
> without having to
>
> select is each time? Would there be any disadvantage of always booting into
> this mode? (I
>
> don't consider being able to use unsigned drivers to be a disadvantage!)
>
> Also, I have several USB devices which I want to continue to use. Should
> Vista be able to
>
> use the Windows 2000 / XP drivers for these until such time as Vista drivers
> are released? I
>
> think I recall correctly that 2000/XP could use 98 drivers to enable old
> hardware to be
>
> used? The devices I think are most likely to cause a problem are USB-enabled
> MiniDisc
>
> recorders (Sony MZ-N510 and MDS-JE780), Printer (Canon i70) and Camera
> (Canon Digital Ixus
>
> IIs). The rest should be able to use standard drivers from the OS (keyboard,
> mouse, various
>
> storage devices). Is there any easy way of finding out if devices will work
> under Vista? I
>
> might find time to look into dual booting a demo of Vista on my current
> machine to try
>
> things out.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

Richard Urban

Re: Unsigned / Old Device Drivers in Vista
You can install (force) unsigned drivers under Vista 32 bit. Many will have
to do this frequently until the hardware manufacturers are on top of things
(they are not at this point).

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP