Disappearing Hard Drive

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGlj?=

Disappearing Hard Drive
I recently installed Vista Home Premium. I have two drives in my machine,
both Seagate SATA2. The first is a 200 gb drive that contains the Vista OS.
The second is a 320 gb drive which has XP Pro. I can initially boot into
either system, or I can reboot from Vista into XP Pro, the system on the
second drive, without difficulty. From XP Pro I can always read both drives.

The problem is that if I am running Vista and reboot into Vista (the
default), my second drive disappears. It does not even appear on the Device
Manager or Disk Management. If I cold boot, the second drive reappears.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this?
--
willic
CrimLiar

Re: Disappearing Hard Drive
"willic" <willic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently installed Vista Home Premium. I have two drives in my machine,
> both Seagate SATA2. The first is a 200 gb drive that contains the Vista
> OS.
> The second is a 320 gb drive which has XP Pro. I can initially boot into
> either system, or I can reboot from Vista into XP Pro, the system on the
> second drive, without difficulty. From XP Pro I can always read both
> drives.
>
> The problem is that if I am running Vista and reboot into Vista (the
> default), my second drive disappears. It does not even appear on the
> Device
> Manager or Disk Management. If I cold boot, the second drive reappears.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this?
> --
> willic

There could be an issue here.... I have 4x500G Seagate SATA HDDs set up as
a 0+1 Raid configuration on an ASUS P5N32-E Sli (nVidia 680i chipset)
motherboard. On coldbooting it finds the HDDs in under 2 secs, but
warmbooting it takes about 10 secs. You wouldn't by any chance be using a
680i based mobo too would you?

Crimliar

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGlj?=

Re: Disappearing Hard Drive
> You wouldn't by any chance be using a 680i based mobo too would you? <

No. This is a Compaq Presario SR2044X with an ECS motherboard and ATI
chipset.

It looks like this is a driver problem.

--
willic

"CrimLiar" wrote:

> "willic" <willic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently installed Vista Home Premium. I have two drives in my machine,
> > both Seagate SATA2. The first is a 200 gb drive that contains the Vista
> > OS.
> > The second is a 320 gb drive which has XP Pro. I can initially boot into
> > either system, or I can reboot from Vista into XP Pro, the system on the
> > second drive, without difficulty. From XP Pro I can always read both
> > drives.
> >
> > The problem is that if I am running Vista and reboot into Vista (the
> > default), my second drive disappears. It does not even appear on the
> > Device
> > Manager or Disk Management. If I cold boot, the second drive reappears.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this?
> > --
> > willic

> There could be an issue here.... I have 4x500G Seagate SATA HDDs set up as
> a 0+1 Raid configuration on an ASUS P5N32-E Sli (nVidia 680i chipset)
> motherboard. On coldbooting it finds the HDDs in under 2 secs, but
> warmbooting it takes about 10 secs. You wouldn't by any chance be using a
> 680i based mobo too would you?
>
> Crimliar

keith schaefer

Re: Disappearing Hard Drive
No, I think it is a COMPAQ problem....

>> You wouldn't by any chance be using a 680i based mobo too would you? <

> No. This is a Compaq Presario SR2044X with an ECS motherboard and ATI
> chipset.
>
> It looks like this is a driver problem.
>
> --
> willic
>

> "CrimLiar" wrote:
>
>> "willic" <willic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently installed Vista Home Premium. I have two drives in my
>> >machine,
>> > both Seagate SATA2. The first is a 200 gb drive that contains the
>> > Vista
>> > OS.
>> > The second is a 320 gb drive which has XP Pro. I can initially boot
>> > into
>> > either system, or I can reboot from Vista into XP Pro, the system on
>> > the
>> > second drive, without difficulty. From XP Pro I can always read both
>> > drives.
>> >
>> > The problem is that if I am running Vista and reboot into Vista (the
>> > default), my second drive disappears. It does not even appear on the
>> > Device
>> > Manager or Disk Management. If I cold boot, the second drive
>> > reappears.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this?
>> > --
>> > willic

>> There could be an issue here.... I have 4x500G Seagate SATA HDDs set up
>> as
>> a 0+1 Raid configuration on an ASUS P5N32-E Sli (nVidia 680i chipset)
>> motherboard. On coldbooting it finds the HDDs in under 2 secs, but
>> warmbooting it takes about 10 secs. You wouldn't by any chance be using
>> 680i based mobo too would you?
>>
>> Crimliar

=?Utf-8?B?d2lsbGlj?=

Re: Disappearing Hard Drive
> No, I think it is a COMPAQ problem.... <

It could be related to Compaq's mickey mouse way of partitioning the first
drive but I doubt it. Why is this not a problem with XP Pro and why does it
not happen with a cold boot?

Something must be remaining loaded with a reboot that is not there with a
cold boot.

--
willic

"keith schaefer" wrote:

> No, I think it is a COMPAQ problem....
>
> "willic" <willic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> You wouldn't by any chance be using a 680i based mobo too would you? <

> > No. This is a Compaq Presario SR2044X with an ECS motherboard and ATI
> > chipset.
> >
> > It looks like this is a driver problem.
> >
> > --
> > willic
> >

> > "CrimLiar" wrote:
> >
> >> "willic" <willic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> There could be an issue here.... I have 4x500G Seagate SATA HDDs set up
> >> as
> >> a 0+1 Raid configuration on an ASUS P5N32-E Sli (nVidia 680i chipset)
> >> motherboard. On coldbooting it finds the HDDs in under 2 secs, but
> >> warmbooting it takes about 10 secs. You wouldn't by any chance be using
> >> 680i based mobo too would you?
> >>
> >> Crimliar

George

Re: Disappearing Hard Drive
On Mar 17, 6:10 am, willic <wil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > No, I think it is a COMPAQ problem.... <

> It could be related to Compaq's mickey mouse way of partitioning the first
> drive but I doubt it. Why is this not a problem with XP Pro and why does it
> not happen with a cold boot?
>
> Something must be remaining loaded with a reboot that is not there with a
> cold boot.
>
> --
> willic
>

> "keith schaefer" wrote:
> > No, I think it is a COMPAQ problem....

> > "willic" <wil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > No. This is a Compaq Presario SR2044X with an ECS motherboard and ATI
> > > chipset.

> > > It looks like this is a driver problem.

> > > --
> > > willic

There's someone else (and me) having this problem here:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...39b7c64a695639

George