mouse pointer has disappeared!

Jim Robin

mouse pointer has disappeared!
Hi,

Can anyone help with a missing mouse pointer? It's on a Gateway laptop
(notebook) and the default finger tablet shows no mousepointer and if I plug
a USB mouse in, there is still nothing. Has something become corrupted? I
have a dual boot on this laptop and can boot up win 2000 successfully with
the mouse pointer working perfectly so at least I know that it is not a
hardware issue.

Can it be fixed without doing something drastic like a re-install? I tried
starting with last known good configuration but that was no help.

Many thanks indeed,

Jim Robin

JerryM

Re: mouse pointer has disappeared!
Does your Control panel have a Mouse Icon?
You should be able to choose any pointer you like.

"Jim Robin" <jim.robin@loganswell.f2s.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help with a missing mouse pointer? It's on a Gateway laptop
> (notebook) and the default finger tablet shows no mousepointer and if I
> plug a USB mouse in, there is still nothing. Has something become
> corrupted? I have a dual boot on this laptop and can boot up win 2000
> successfully with the mouse pointer working perfectly so at least I know
> that it is not a hardware issue.
>
> Can it be fixed without doing something drastic like a re-install? I
> tried starting with last known good configuration but that was no help.
>
> Many thanks indeed,
>
> Jim Robin

Jim Robin

Re: mouse pointer has disappeared!
Jerry,

The mouse pointer is like the emperor's new clothes. There is not even a
pointer at the login screen.

Cheers,

Jim

"JerryM" <jerrym526@msn.org> wrote in message
> Does your Control panel have a Mouse Icon?
> You should be able to choose any pointer you like.
>
> "Jim Robin" <jim.robin@loganswell.f2s.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone help with a missing mouse pointer? It's on a Gateway laptop
>> (notebook) and the default finger tablet shows no mousepointer and if I
>> plug a USB mouse in, there is still nothing. Has something become
>> corrupted? I have a dual boot on this laptop and can boot up win 2000
>> successfully with the mouse pointer working perfectly so at least I know
>> that it is not a hardware issue.
>>
>> Can it be fixed without doing something drastic like a re-install? I
>> tried starting with last known good configuration but that was no help.
>>
>> Many thanks indeed,
>>
>> Jim Robin

t-4-2

Jim Robin;706009 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help with a missing mouse pointer? It's on a Gateway laptop
> (notebook) and the default finger tablet shows no mousepointer and if I
> plug
> a USB mouse in, there is still nothing. Has something become corrupted?
> have a dual boot on this laptop and can boot up win 2000 successfully
> with
> the mouse pointer working perfectly so at least I know that it is not a
> hardware issue.
>
> Can it be fixed without doing something drastic like a re-install? I
> tried
> starting with last known good configuration but that was no help.
>
> Many thanks indeed,
>
> Jim Robin

Hello Jim,
I suppose you have done a system restore also ? If not, make sure you
choose a date when you had the pointer.

--
t-4-2
JerryM

Re: mouse pointer has disappeared!
Jim,
Press Control + Escape key to activate the Start menu.
Then use the arrow keys to move the highlight starting with the up arrow.
Go to the control panel and Enter on the mouse to see if you can select a
pointer.