Have a RAID 1 want to stop it, how to?

Havek

Have a RAID 1 want to stop it, how to?
I installed Vista recently doing a fresh install. When i did it, it only had
1 drive visible when i have 2 of the same drives. In my bios i do not have
the drives turned on to RAID i just have them in their naitive modes. I
installed Vista and now it set up a RAID 1 all by itself. Has my C Drive as
MIRROR[0][2] SCSI Disk Device. Now i want to stop this so i can use the
other drive. Can i do this with out a reinstall? Or what would happen if i
whipped on drive then plugged it back in , would this clear the other as
well? Thanks?
DL

Re: Have a RAID 1 want to stop it, how to?
Raid doesnt set up itself unless the bios is so configured (with a clean
install)
Usually to split a mirror raid you simply disconnect one drive, but I think
you first need to check your mobo manual to the exact bios settings for raid
/ non raid

"Havek" <Havek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Vista recently doing a fresh install. When i did it, it only
>had
> 1 drive visible when i have 2 of the same drives. In my bios i do not
> have
> the drives turned on to RAID i just have them in their naitive modes. I
> installed Vista and now it set up a RAID 1 all by itself. Has my C Drive
> as
> MIRROR[0][2] SCSI Disk Device. Now i want to stop this so i can use the
> other drive. Can i do this with out a reinstall? Or what would happen if
> whipped on drive then plugged it back in , would this clear the other as
> well? Thanks?

Havek

Re: Have a RAID 1 want to stop it, how to?
Well this is not a real raid then just a software raid because in my bios
RAID is turned off. I tried turning it on in which then Vista would not boot
and after changing back made me re-activate it for some reason. I tried
changing the drive to dynamic but then it still would not let me break the
drive. Also i had these in the same mode, native, when i had windows xp
installed and it recognized them as 2 hard disks.

"DL" wrote:

> Raid doesnt set up itself unless the bios is so configured (with a clean
> install)
> Usually to split a mirror raid you simply disconnect one drive, but I think
> you first need to check your mobo manual to the exact bios settings for raid
> / non raid
>
> "Havek" <Havek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I installed Vista recently doing a fresh install. When i did it, it only
> >had
> > 1 drive visible when i have 2 of the same drives. In my bios i do not
> > have
> > the drives turned on to RAID i just have them in their naitive modes. I
> > installed Vista and now it set up a RAID 1 all by itself. Has my C Drive
> > as
> > MIRROR[0][2] SCSI Disk Device. Now i want to stop this so i can use the
> > other drive. Can i do this with out a reinstall? Or what would happen if
> > whipped on drive then plugged it back in , would this clear the other as
> > well? Thanks?

RJB

Re: Have a RAID 1 want to stop it, how to?
No, you will have to re-install, BUT FIRST you need to set your bios up
correctly.

On some MB Bios settings there might be 2-3 areas to set the Raid options so
go thru and make sure Raid is not set up..

1) It's been awhile since I have messed with Raid, but I think since you
have Raid on the HDs now, that during the boot up you need to go into the
Raid setup first. Not sure, on some MBs the F8 key I believe it is for Raid
setup..

2) Unmount the Raid on HDs first.. Reboot, go into bios then remove the
Raid.

3) Reboot, and re-install..

--
RJB

"Havek" <Havek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed Vista recently doing a fresh install. When i did it, it only
>had
> 1 drive visible when i have 2 of the same drives. In my bios i do not
> have
> the drives turned on to RAID i just have them in their naitive modes. I
> installed Vista and now it set up a RAID 1 all by itself. Has my C Drive
> as
> MIRROR[0][2] SCSI Disk Device. Now i want to stop this so i can use the
> other drive. Can i do this with out a reinstall? Or what would happen if
> whipped on drive then plugged it back in , would this clear the other as
> well? Thanks?

DL

Re: Have a RAID 1 want to stop it, how to?
Whatever you may think/believe if only a single drive was detected you had
raid turned on.
Check your mobo manual / PC help pages