Should I add more memory?

Happy Camper

Should I add more memory?
Hello all!

I have 1.5g of memory installed at the moment on my Asus K8V SE Deluxe
running Vista 32bit edition. My lowest number on my Windows Experience is
3.1 for memory. Would I benefit much more from moving to 2g or even 3g of
memory? Thanks in advance.

HC

Nut Cracker

Re: Should I add more memory?
More memory would help. However, by tuning the bios memory settings in my
machine, i went from 4.4 to 5.0 on my memory. Mostly by lowing the CAS
latency setting, and turning off 'compatability mode'.

If you put more memory in, I would suggest a 2GB dual channel kit of
high-performance memory. Then, set the bios according to what the memory is
rated to run at for best results.

- NuTs

"Happy Camper" <dcwhitemanohnoyoudont@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello all!
>
> I have 1.5g of memory installed at the moment on my Asus K8V SE Deluxe
> running Vista 32bit edition. My lowest number on my Windows Experience is
> 3.1 for memory. Would I benefit much more from moving to 2g or even 3g of
> memory? Thanks in advance.
>
> HC

JW

Re: Should I add more memory?
Very few applications require a lot of memory and adding memory for many
users only reduces boot time. Certainly if you are using video editing or
converting video files or doing database searchs more memory will help.
I use Microsoft Office extensively along with normal Internet browsing anad
a TV tuner and only upgraded from 512MB to 1GB in order to run Aero since I
have memory sharing graphics controller.
"Nut Cracker" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> More memory would help. However, by tuning the bios memory settings in my
> machine, i went from 4.4 to 5.0 on my memory. Mostly by lowing the CAS
> latency setting, and turning off 'compatability mode'.
>
> If you put more memory in, I would suggest a 2GB dual channel kit of
> high-performance memory. Then, set the bios according to what the memory
> is rated to run at for best results.
>
> - NuTs
>
> "Happy Camper" <dcwhitemanohnoyoudont@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I have 1.5g of memory installed at the moment on my Asus K8V SE Deluxe
>> running Vista 32bit edition. My lowest number on my Windows Experience
>> is 3.1 for memory. Would I benefit much more from moving to 2g or even 3g
>> of memory? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> HC

Robert Moir

Re: Should I add more memory?

"Happy Camper" <dcwhitemanohnoyoudont@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hello all!
>
> I have 1.5g of memory installed at the moment on my Asus K8V SE Deluxe
> running Vista 32bit edition. My lowest number on my Windows Experience is
> 3.1 for memory. Would I benefit much more from moving to 2g or even 3g of
> memory? Thanks in advance.

Define "Benefit". Will your performance improve with more memory? Maybe -
2Gb seems to be a nice 'sweet spot' for Vista power users, so if you use a
lot of apps at once or play new games this wouldn't be a bad move, even if
you're not too far from there now.

Will you get a higher score in the Windows benchmarks if you added more
memory? No, I doubt it.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWRX?=

Re: Should I add more memory? Or CPU
Thanks for the input. I do run games and sometimes have quite a few windows
open when working from home and in speak with a Tier 2 tech I am thinking
that upping my memory would be a good thing. I was also wondering if I'd get
more bang by upgrading my CPU (currently AMD 64 2800) or would that be
overkill?

"Robert Moir" wrote:

> "Happy Camper" <dcwhitemanohnoyoudont@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hello all!
> >
> > I have 1.5g of memory installed at the moment on my Asus K8V SE Deluxe
> > running Vista 32bit edition. My lowest number on my Windows Experience is
> > 3.1 for memory. Would I benefit much more from moving to 2g or even 3g of
> > memory? Thanks in advance.

> Define "Benefit". Will your performance improve with more memory? Maybe -
> 2Gb seems to be a nice 'sweet spot' for Vista power users, so if you use a
> lot of apps at once or play new games this wouldn't be a bad move, even if
> you're not too far from there now.
>
> Will you get a higher score in the Windows benchmarks if you added more
> memory? No, I doubt it.

JW

Re: Should I add more memory? Or CPU
If used for games then 2GB is a good number you might see an improvement in
games over the 1.5 configuration.
Unless you have a specific application that is having performace problems I
don't think upgrading your CPU will help much. It might be better if you
were runing the 64bit version of Vista instead of the 32bit since the OS can
perform its functions faster even if you don't have 64 bit applications.
Games might perform better with a graphics card upgrade depending on what
Make/model of graphics card you currently have installed and how much
onboard memory it has.