Vista auto-detect on USB printers-- how to turn back on?

=?Utf-8?B?Y29vcA==?=

Vista auto-detect on USB printers-- how to turn back on?
I had a HP 1215 photosmart printer that would be autodetected, but wouldn't
install because HP doesn't have a driver for it that will work for Vista. I
got tired of being alerted to this and chose the option to turn off
auto-detect for that device in one of the alert boxes, so I could look for a
way to get the printer installed (I later found out that I had to lie to
Vista and tell it I had a 7200 HP printer) . Now that I know the solution to
getting the printer installed, I can't get Vista to autodetect it again (I've
rebooted the computer and also unplugged and powered down the printer). I
also can't get it to autodetect another USB printer. It appears that
auto-detecting for USB port printers has been turned off permanently, which
is obviously not what I wanted to happen.

How can I get auto detect toggled back on? Thanks.
Richard Urban

Re: Vista auto-detect on USB printers-- how to turn back on?
In device manager you will likely find an entry with an ! or it may be
labeled as an unknown device.

If you believe that this is the entry for your printer, right click and
uninstall the entry. Now, reboot your computer. The O/S will again try to
install the drivers for this device. You can follow the prompts from that
point onward.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"coop" <coop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had a HP 1215 photosmart printer that would be autodetected, but wouldn't
> install because HP doesn't have a driver for it that will work for Vista.
> got tired of being alerted to this and chose the option to turn off
> auto-detect for that device in one of the alert boxes, so I could look for
> way to get the printer installed (I later found out that I had to lie to
> Vista and tell it I had a 7200 HP printer) . Now that I know the solution
> getting the printer installed, I can't get Vista to autodetect it again
> (I've
> rebooted the computer and also unplugged and powered down the printer). I
> also can't get it to autodetect another USB printer. It appears that
> auto-detecting for USB port printers has been turned off permanently,
> which
> is obviously not what I wanted to happen.
>
> How can I get auto detect toggled back on? Thanks.

yfw9910 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista auto-detect on USB printers-- how to turn back on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?Y29vcA==?= View Post
I had a HP 1215 photosmart printer that would be autodetected, but wouldn't
install because HP doesn't have a driver for it that will work for Vista. I
got tired of being alerted to this and chose the option to turn off
auto-detect for that device in one of the alert boxes, so I could look for a
way to get the printer installed (I later found out that I had to lie to
Vista and tell it I had a 7200 HP printer) . Now that I know the solution to
getting the printer installed, I can't get Vista to autodetect it again (I've
rebooted the computer and also unplugged and powered down the printer). I
also can't get it to autodetect another USB printer. It appears that
auto-detecting for USB port printers has been turned off permanently, which
is obviously not what I wanted to happen.

How can I get auto detect toggled back on? Thanks.

I have the same question. Do you get answer of it?