CPU busy

PhilTheGap

CPU busy
Hi,

my CPU is 100% used by hardware interrupts just after the set up of Vista.
The drivers are all running. Vista has been updated.

What is the simple way to discover the culprit ? I can start by unplug
everything but what can I do if to see if the processor (AMD 64 3800+) is
responsible ?

Best regards

Dustin Harper

Re: CPU busy
You can right click the task bar, click Task Manager, then click the
Performance tab, then on Resource Monitor... Click the down arrow on the CPU
tab, and it will show you what is using that much of your CPU. From there,
you can find out if it is supposed to be doing it (indexing, defrag) or if
it is a rogue application that just isn't operating correctly.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> my CPU is 100% used by hardware interrupts just after the set up of Vista.
> The drivers are all running. Vista has been updated.
>
> What is the simple way to discover the culprit ? I can start by unplug
> everything but what can I do if to see if the processor (AMD 64 3800+) is
> responsible ?
>
> Best regards

IkidUnot

Re: CPU busy
If you go to sysinternals.com and try Process Explorer, this should be simple
to find. You could also try Process Monitor. Good luck...

--
-me.
Let this forum know if this helps or if you figure out the problem, so

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> You can right click the task bar, click Task Manager, then click the
> Performance tab, then on Resource Monitor... Click the down arrow on the CPU
> tab, and it will show you what is using that much of your CPU. From there,
> you can find out if it is supposed to be doing it (indexing, defrag) or if
> it is a rogue application that just isn't operating correctly.
>

> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
>

> "PhilTheGap" <oriane@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > my CPU is 100% used by hardware interrupts just after the set up of Vista.
> > The drivers are all running. Vista has been updated.
> >
> > What is the simple way to discover the culprit ? I can start by unplug
> > everything but what can I do if to see if the processor (AMD 64 3800+) is
> > responsible ?
> >
> > Best regards

PhilTheGap

Re: CPU busy

"IkidUnot" <IkidUnot@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> If you go to sysinternals.com and try Process Explorer, this should be
> simple
> to find. You could also try Process Monitor. Good luck...

When I launch Process Explorer, the hardware interrupts are consuming 98% of
the CPU.
All the drivers are ok (I mean they are running).
When I start in "safe mode", the situation is better, and only 96% of my CPU
is busy. So I can work a little...

I begin to give up since it is now a week that I try to understand...

Thanks

PhilTheGap

Re: CPU busy

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> a écrit dans le message de
> You can right click the task bar, click Task Manager, then click the
> Performance tab, then on Resource Monitor... Click the down arrow on the
> CPU tab, and it will show you what is using that much of your CPU. From
> there, you can find out if it is supposed to be doing it (indexing,
> defrag) or if it is a rogue application that just isn't operating
> correctly.

As I wrote, the CPU is busy because of the hardware interrupts not because
of a process.
The resource monitor gives non clue (at least to me !). The processes are
using 2% of the CPU.

Thanks for your answer

gelyon

Re: CPU busy
PhilTheGap,

I'm having the same problem although it is using 30-50% of one of two cores.
I figured out it was "Hardware Interrupts" with Process Explorer. All my
device drivers are up to date. I have tried disabling them one at a time with
no luck. If I reboot it goes away for anywhere from two hours to several
days, but it always comes back.

I'm thinking it's a defective device driver. I am running Vista.

Greg