No Disk in Drive Burner Not Found

sarat

No Disk in Drive Burner Not Found
I have a Gateway notebook ML6703 a little over a year old. Vista 32 bit.
When I put a cd for software or a DVD into the drive nothing happens. I can
hear it loading but then the pointer doesn't display the little disk that it
should. Windows Media Center tells me there's no disk in the drive. When I
try to burn photos from gallery to disk it tells me "You don't have a disk
drive capable of burning files to cd or dvd. Media player tells me I need to
connect a burner. DVD Burner Not Found. Around April 13 or 14th I
downloaded a new HP Printer and the software downloaded fine. Now when I put
something in the drive it doesn't think there is anything in there.
The drop down list for choosing a burner is blank....what happened?
I've spent the last 3 or 4 days trying to figure out what happened, and
reading discussion group.
I would also like to know if the recovery disk that came with it erases
everything or can I choose what items to re install.
Gateway has downloads for my notebook, but I don't know which ones I should
use to maybe fix this problem.
sarat

RE: No Disk in Drive Burner Not Found

"sarat" wrote:

> I have a Gateway notebook ML6703 a little over a year old. Vista 32 bit.
> When I put a cd for software or a DVD into the drive nothing happens. I can
> hear it loading but then the pointer doesn't display the little disk that it
> should. Windows Media Center tells me there's no disk in the drive. When I
> try to burn photos from gallery to disk it tells me "You don't have a disk
> drive capable of burning files to cd or dvd. Media player tells me I need to
> connect a burner. DVD Burner Not Found. Around April 13 or 14th I
> downloaded a new HP Printer and the software downloaded fine. Now when I put
> something in the drive it doesn't think there is anything in there.
> The drop down list for choosing a burner is blank....what happened?
> I've spent the last 3 or 4 days trying to figure out what happened, and
> reading discussion group.
> I would also like to know if the recovery disk that came with it erases
> everything or can I choose what items to re install.
> Gateway has downloads for my notebook, but I don't know which ones I should
> use to maybe fix this problem.

Also I just found in Program Uninstall Fix or Change in Control something
called Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515/xx12 drivers and it appears to be
uninstalled already. I don't know if this is part of Vista or not.
PvdG42

"sarat" <sarat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway notebook ML6703 a little over a year old. Vista 32 bit.
> When I put a cd for software or a DVD into the drive nothing happens. I
> can
> hear it loading but then the pointer doesn't display the little disk that
> it
> should. Windows Media Center tells me there's no disk in the drive. When
> try to burn photos from gallery to disk it tells me "You don't have a disk
> drive capable of burning files to cd or dvd. Media player tells me I need
> connect a burner. DVD Burner Not Found. Around April 13 or 14th I
> downloaded a new HP Printer and the software downloaded fine. Now when I
> put
> something in the drive it doesn't think there is anything in there.
> The drop down list for choosing a burner is blank....what happened?
> I've spent the last 3 or 4 days trying to figure out what happened, and
> reading discussion group.
> I would also like to know if the recovery disk that came with it erases
> everything or can I choose what items to re install.
> Gateway has downloads for my notebook, but I don't know which ones I
> should
> use to maybe fix this problem.

It sounds like the drive itself may have gone bad. Have you asked Gateway
support to help you determine if the drive is OK?
Try this as a first test. In Device Manager, uninstall the drive, then
reboot. Is the drive rediscovered?

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "sarat" <sarat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Gateway notebook ML6703 a little over a year old. Vista 32 bit.
> > When I put a cd for software or a DVD into the drive nothing happens. I
> > can
> > hear it loading but then the pointer doesn't display the little disk that
> > it
> > should. Windows Media Center tells me there's no disk in the drive. When
> > try to burn photos from gallery to disk it tells me "You don't have a disk
> > drive capable of burning files to cd or dvd. Media player tells me I need
> > connect a burner. DVD Burner Not Found. Around April 13 or 14th I
> > downloaded a new HP Printer and the software downloaded fine. Now when I
> > put
> > something in the drive it doesn't think there is anything in there.
> > The drop down list for choosing a burner is blank....what happened?
> > I've spent the last 3 or 4 days trying to figure out what happened, and
> > reading discussion group.
> > I would also like to know if the recovery disk that came with it erases
> > everything or can I choose what items to re install.
> > Gateway has downloads for my notebook, but I don't know which ones I
> > should
> > use to maybe fix this problem.

> It sounds like the drive itself may have gone bad. Have you asked Gateway
> support to help you determine if the drive is OK?
> Try this as a first test. In Device Manager, uninstall the drive, then
> reboot. Is the drive rediscovered?
>
> This happened about 3 months ago, when my pc was still under warranty. They did remote access and tried a number of things and couldn't fix it. They sent me a box to ship it back to them in but before I could the problem somehow got fixed. I went on line this time and they said they couldn't help me because my tech support had expired. I rarely use the dvd drive so I didn't notice when the problem occurred this time. Now as to the Device Manager. I have a listing for disk drives and under it it lists Hp photosmart drive and WDC WD800BEVS 22LATO is that what you are talking about?

Also I found software in PROGRAMS called Power2go by Cyberlink, Do I need
that or maybe it is taking over the software that came with the computer? I
had that problem with the Audio Device....every once in a while there was an
X over the volume control and Windows told me "No Audio Output Device" I went
into Programs and found Sigma Tel Audio Driver. Then I went to their website
and re-downloaded it. This happened several times. Finally, just this
morning I searched problems for Audio and found someone else with this
problem. The suggestion to him was to uninstall Sigmatel and the original
sound program should reinstall itself....and it WORKED! I don't even know
where that Sigmatel came from. I wonder if the same problem could be
happening with my DVD drive. Sorry for this being so long, but I thought it
might be important.
Again, just exactly what do I uninstall to try to fix this problem?

Thanks!