check disk at boot

Grant

check disk at boot
Hi, my new laptop runs vista but my desktop runs XP. I know this is a Visya
community but can anyone tell me why all of a sudden everytime i am booting
up on my XP desktop it says " a disk check has been scheduled, windows will
now check disk" This process takes hours. how do I get my desktop to boot
normally? Thank You.
--
Grant
Colin Barnhorst

Re: check disk at boot
Post to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general for XP questions.

"Grant" <gwpost@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, my new laptop runs vista but my desktop runs XP. I know this is a
> Visya
> community but can anyone tell me why all of a sudden everytime i am
> booting
> up on my XP desktop it says " a disk check has been scheduled, windows
> will
> now check disk" This process takes hours. how do I get my desktop to boot
> normally? Thank You.
> --
> Grant

Brink

Re: check disk at boot

Grant;700725 Wrote:
> Hi, my new laptop runs vista but my desktop runs XP. I know this is a
> Visya
> community but can anyone tell me why all of a sudden everytime i am
> booting
> up on my XP desktop it says " a disk check has been scheduled, windows
> will
> now check disk" This process takes hours. how do I get my desktop to
> boot
> normally? Thank You.
> --
> Grant

Hi Grant,

I'm pretty sure that this is the same in XP as it is in Vista. You can
use Step One in this tutorial to reset chkdsk to stop it from trying to
run everytime you boot.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/13...tup-vista.html

Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
ahmad12

Re: check disk at boot

Go to safe mode and open the command prompt and type the following:

"chkdsk c: /f /x" --> When asked to force a dismount select Y

Check disk should now start automatically.

and repeat the process for d:,e:,f: ... etc

--
ahmad12
t-4-2

Re: check disk at boot

ahmad12;700953 Wrote:
> Go to safe mode and open the command prompt and type the following:
>
> "chkdsk c: /f /x" --> When asked to force a dismount select Y
>
> Check disk should now start automatically.
>
> and repeat the process for d:,e:,f: ... etc

Ahmad12,
Grant was asking how to make disk check NOT to start at boot.

--
t-4-2
ahmad12

Re: check disk at boot

t-4-2;701281 Wrote:
> Ahmad12,
> Grant was asking how to make disk check NOT to start at boot.

I know that this command "-chkdsk c: /f /x" -will prevent disk check at
every boot. Disk check will run only once and disabled at every boot.

--
ahmad12
t-4-2

Re: check disk at boot

ahmad12;701782 Wrote:
> > t-4-2;701281 Wrote:
> > Ahmad12,
> > Grant was asking how to make disk check NOT to start at boot.> >

> I know that this command "-chkdsk c: /f /x" -will prevent disk check
> at every boot. Disk check will run only once and disabled at every
> boot.

You still don't get it. He does not want disk check to run at all, not
even the first time. Grant said " The process takes hours." He does not
want it.

--
t-4-2