weird RAM

Aaponline

weird RAM
hi all!

I have a problem with my ram memory. I have vista ultimate sp1 with 4gb ram.
When i look at my computer > properties it shows i have 4,00gb ram (windows
experience = 4,5 is that normal for this amount?). But task manager shows
1534 mb ram... it also shows i have 1gb occupied, which is 66% according to
task manager. Is this a hardware problem or an OS problem? I don't hope
windows is limiting itself to 1534mb's of ram when i'm having 4gb.

Thanks!
PvdG42

Re: weird RAM
"Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi all!
>
> I have a problem with my ram memory. I have vista ultimate sp1 with 4gb
> ram.
> When i look at my computer > properties it shows i have 4,00gb ram
> (windows
> experience = 4,5 is that normal for this amount?). But task manager shows
> 1534 mb ram... it also shows i have 1gb occupied, which is 66% according
> task manager. Is this a hardware problem or an OS problem? I don't hope
> windows is limiting itself to 1534mb's of ram when i'm having 4gb.
>
> Thanks!

32 bit Vista? With SP1 it shows total installed memory (4 GB) , but the 32
bit OS addressing limitation still applies (4 GB total including address
space for drivers, etc.). That said, 1534 seems way low. It should be more
like 3GB available. You might want to see what a third party utility tells
you.
As far as your Windows Experience is concerned, the "composite" score is
actually the lowest of all scores recorded during the performance test, So,
you'll need to look at the details to see which component is responsible for
the 4.5 before assuming the memory is at fault. If that is the memory access
score, readers here would still need to see your hardware specs to know if
it might be the memory itself or a side effect from other components.

Aaponline

Re: weird RAM
Yes 32bit vista. I also looked at Start>Run>type: msinfo32.
It says:
Installed memory : 4,00 GB
Total memory : 1,50 GB
Available memory : 700 MB
Total virtual memory : 3,25 GB
Available virtual memory : 1,91 GB
Does that help?
I also downloaded AIDA32 to see what my memory is, and it shows 2 DIMMs
occupied with 2gb each (which is correct), but it shows 1,5gb of memory
'overall'.
by the way, i just want to know if my computer doesn't limits itself to 1,50
GB.
more info:
AMD 64x2 6400+ (scores 5,5)
8800gt SLI (scores 5,9 on both graphics indexes)
500gb HDD (scores 5,9)
which means the 4,5 is due to RAM. I've looked some more on internet, and
some sites say 4,5 is the highest score you can get, because it's set at
1,5gb+ = 4,5.
A friend of mine scored 5,4 though, but he has slightly faster RAM.

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hi all!
> >
> > I have a problem with my ram memory. I have vista ultimate sp1 with 4gb
> > ram.
> > When i look at my computer > properties it shows i have 4,00gb ram
> > (windows
> > experience = 4,5 is that normal for this amount?). But task manager shows
> > 1534 mb ram... it also shows i have 1gb occupied, which is 66% according
> > task manager. Is this a hardware problem or an OS problem? I don't hope
> > windows is limiting itself to 1534mb's of ram when i'm having 4gb.
> >
> > Thanks!

> 32 bit Vista? With SP1 it shows total installed memory (4 GB) , but the 32
> bit OS addressing limitation still applies (4 GB total including address
> space for drivers, etc.). That said, 1534 seems way low. It should be more
> like 3GB available. You might want to see what a third party utility tells
> you.
> As far as your Windows Experience is concerned, the "composite" score is
> actually the lowest of all scores recorded during the performance test, So,
> you'll need to look at the details to see which component is responsible for
> the 4.5 before assuming the memory is at fault. If that is the memory access
> score, readers here would still need to see your hardware specs to know if
> it might be the memory itself or a side effect from other components.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: weird RAM
What is reported when you type "winver" in Start/Search?

> Yes 32bit vista. I also looked at Start>Run>type: msinfo32.
> It says:
> Installed memory : 4,00 GB
> Total memory : 1,50 GB
> Available memory : 700 MB
> Total virtual memory : 3,25 GB
> Available virtual memory : 1,91 GB
> Does that help?
> I also downloaded AIDA32 to see what my memory is, and it shows 2 DIMMs
> occupied with 2gb each (which is correct), but it shows 1,5gb of memory
> 'overall'.
> by the way, i just want to know if my computer doesn't limits itself to
> 1,50
> GB.
> more info:
> AMD 64x2 6400+ (scores 5,5)
> 8800gt SLI (scores 5,9 on both graphics indexes)
> 500gb HDD (scores 5,9)
> which means the 4,5 is due to RAM. I've looked some more on internet, and
> some sites say 4,5 is the highest score you can get, because it's set at
> 1,5gb+ = 4,5.
> A friend of mine scored 5,4 though, but he has slightly faster RAM.
>

> "PvdG42" wrote:
>
>> "Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hi all!
>> >
>> > I have a problem with my ram memory. I have vista ultimate sp1 with 4gb
>> > ram.
>> > When i look at my computer > properties it shows i have 4,00gb ram
>> > (windows
>> > experience = 4,5 is that normal for this amount?). But task manager
>> > shows
>> > 1534 mb ram... it also shows i have 1gb occupied, which is 66%
>> > according
>> > task manager. Is this a hardware problem or an OS problem? I don't hope
>> > windows is limiting itself to 1534mb's of ram when i'm having 4gb.
>> >
>> > Thanks!

>> 32 bit Vista? With SP1 it shows total installed memory (4 GB) , but the
>> 32
>> bit OS addressing limitation still applies (4 GB total including address
>> space for drivers, etc.). That said, 1534 seems way low. It should be
>> more
>> like 3GB available. You might want to see what a third party utility
>> tells
>> you.
>> As far as your Windows Experience is concerned, the "composite" score is
>> actually the lowest of all scores recorded during the performance test,
>> So,
>> you'll need to look at the details to see which component is responsible
>> for
>> the 4.5 before assuming the memory is at fault. If that is the memory
>> access
>> score, readers here would still need to see your hardware specs to know
>> if
>> it might be the memory itself or a side effect from other components.

Aaponline

Re: weird RAM
1.571.148 kB

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> What is reported when you type "winver" in Start/Search?
>
> "Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes 32bit vista. I also looked at Start>Run>type: msinfo32.
> > It says:
> > Installed memory : 4,00 GB
> > Total memory : 1,50 GB
> > Available memory : 700 MB
> > Total virtual memory : 3,25 GB
> > Available virtual memory : 1,91 GB
> > Does that help?
> > I also downloaded AIDA32 to see what my memory is, and it shows 2 DIMMs
> > occupied with 2gb each (which is correct), but it shows 1,5gb of memory
> > 'overall'.
> > by the way, i just want to know if my computer doesn't limits itself to
> > 1,50
> > GB.
> > more info:
> > AMD 64x2 6400+ (scores 5,5)
> > 8800gt SLI (scores 5,9 on both graphics indexes)
> > 500gb HDD (scores 5,9)
> > which means the 4,5 is due to RAM. I've looked some more on internet, and
> > some sites say 4,5 is the highest score you can get, because it's set at
> > 1,5gb+ = 4,5.
> > A friend of mine scored 5,4 though, but he has slightly faster RAM.
> >

> > "PvdG42" wrote:
> >
> >> "Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> 32 bit Vista? With SP1 it shows total installed memory (4 GB) , but the
> >> 32
> >> bit OS addressing limitation still applies (4 GB total including address
> >> space for drivers, etc.). That said, 1534 seems way low. It should be
> >> more
> >> like 3GB available. You might want to see what a third party utility
> >> tells
> >> you.
> >> As far as your Windows Experience is concerned, the "composite" score is
> >> actually the lowest of all scores recorded during the performance test,
> >> So,
> >> you'll need to look at the details to see which component is responsible
> >> for
> >> the 4.5 before assuming the memory is at fault. If that is the memory
> >> access
> >> score, readers here would still need to see your hardware specs to know
> >> if
> >> it might be the memory itself or a side effect from other components.

Colin Barnhorst

Re: weird RAM
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anything below 2.2GB available on 32bit
Windows with 4GB installed. What do you see if you remove one module? The
BIOS will remap will take considerable space for memory-mapped IO for the
video card but not anything like this.

> 1.571.148 kB
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> What is reported when you type "winver" in Start/Search?
>>
>> "Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes 32bit vista. I also looked at Start>Run>type: msinfo32.
>> > It says:
>> > Installed memory : 4,00 GB
>> > Total memory : 1,50 GB
>> > Available memory : 700 MB
>> > Total virtual memory : 3,25 GB
>> > Available virtual memory : 1,91 GB
>> > Does that help?
>> > I also downloaded AIDA32 to see what my memory is, and it shows 2 DIMMs
>> > occupied with 2gb each (which is correct), but it shows 1,5gb of memory
>> > 'overall'.
>> > by the way, i just want to know if my computer doesn't limits itself to
>> > 1,50
>> > GB.
>> > more info:
>> > AMD 64x2 6400+ (scores 5,5)
>> > 8800gt SLI (scores 5,9 on both graphics indexes)
>> > 500gb HDD (scores 5,9)
>> > which means the 4,5 is due to RAM. I've looked some more on internet,
>> > and
>> > some sites say 4,5 is the highest score you can get, because it's set
>> > at
>> > 1,5gb+ = 4,5.
>> > A friend of mine scored 5,4 though, but he has slightly faster RAM.

csebas01

Re: weird RAM

I had the same problem problem, something you might try is going to
Start > type MSCONFIG and press enter >
go to BOOT > Then Advanced Options > Make sure that Maximum Memory
isn't
checked. If it is, uncheck it and reboot.

--
csebas01
Aaponline

Re: weird RAM
i've removed one, same results. i put it back in, nothing happend. Is it
possible to add it somehow in BIOS?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Wow. I don't think I've ever seen anything below 2.2GB available on 32bit
> Windows with 4GB installed. What do you see if you remove one module? The
> BIOS will remap will take considerable space for memory-mapped IO for the
> video card but not anything like this.
>
> "Aaponline" <Aaponline@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 1.571.148 kB
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> What is reported when you type "winver" in Start/Search?

csebas01

Re: weird RAM

as far as I know there is no option in the BIOS.

to make sure that I understand you correctly, if you look BOOT =>
advanced options there is nothing checked now, everything is greyed out.

--
csebas01
Aaponline

Re: weird RAM
i checked, everything is indeed greyed out.
once again, i would like to know if windows doesn't limit itself to 1,5gb RAM.
if it still uses the whole 4gb, it's ok with me.
and thanks for all you help btw