pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with another p

GoalieMom

pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with another p
We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium. Now
one does not boot.

Some of the screen messages read:
"Windows Error Recovery"
"Windows failed to start."
"Launch repair (recommended)"

When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and it
reads:

"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to
your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an
external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as
a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
manufacturer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"

There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the power
cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose the
data.

Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's from
floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how to
create a boot cd.

If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to save or
recover the files?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks, Maria

Mick Murphy

RE: pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with another p
http://www.knoppix.org/

You can download the above Knoppix Live CD, and burn an ISO image to CD from
it.
It is a bootable disk that does not install, and only uses your RAM and
Graphics to run.
You can copy all Data to Flash drive with it.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"GoalieMom" wrote:

> We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium. Now
> one does not boot.
>
> Some of the screen messages read:
> "Windows Error Recovery"
> "Windows failed to start."
> "Launch repair (recommended)"
>
> When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and it
> reads:
>
> "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to
> your computer.
>
> This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an
> external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as
> a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
> storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
>
> If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
> manufacturer.

> Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"
>
> There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the power
> cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
> erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
> transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose the
> data.
>
> Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's from
> floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how to
> create a boot cd.
>
> If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to save or
> recover the files?
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Maria

Don

Re: pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with another p
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:46:56 -0700, GoalieMom
<GoalieMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>,;We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium. Now
>,;one does not boot.
>,;
>,;Some of the screen messages read:
>,;"Windows Error Recovery"
>,;"Windows failed to start."
>,;"Launch repair (recommended)"
>,;
>,;When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and it
>,;reads:
>,;
>,;"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to
>,;your computer.
>,;
>,;This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an
>,;external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as
>,;a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
>,;storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
>,;
>,;If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
>,;manufacturer.
>,;
>,;
>,;Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"
>,;
>,;There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the power
>,;cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
>,;erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
>,;transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose the
>,;data.
>,;
>,;Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's from
>,;floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how to
>,;create a boot cd.

Yes. In addition to Knoppix which has been suggested there are other
"live CDs" which will do what you want to do. I use Reatogo which you
can build yourself.

http://reatogo.de/REATOGO.htm

Don't panic about the German address. You will find instructions and
help in English. There is a bit of a learning curve but a bootable CD
with a file manager, antivirus programs, etc. is very useful in your
toolbox.

Bart's Pe or Winbuilder are also available. I found Reatogo the
easiest but your milage may vary.

Another approach is to get an IDE to USB converter. Remove the HD and
connect it to a different computer. Transfer your files and send the
laptop to Toshiba. These converters are inexpensive and available from
several sources. Google "IDE to USB converter".

>,;
>,;If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to save or
>,;recover the files?
>,;
>,;Any help would be most appreciated!
>,;
>,;Thanks, Maria
>,;

Mike Hall - MVP

"GoalieMom" <GoalieMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium. Now
> one does not boot.
>
> Some of the screen messages read:
> "Windows Error Recovery"
> "Windows failed to start."
> "Launch repair (recommended)"
>
> When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and it
> reads:
>
> "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected
> your computer.
>
> This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as
> an
> external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such
> as
> a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
> storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
>
> If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
> manufacturer.

> Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"
>
> There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the power
> cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
> erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
> transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose the
> data.
>
> Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's
> from
> floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how to
> create a boot cd.
>
> If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to save
> or
> recover the files?
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Maria

If you have 'just' bought them, take the faulty one back and get it
exchanged for something which works..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

andy

Re: pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with another p
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:46:56 -0700, GoalieMom
<GoalieMom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium. Now
>one does not boot.
>
>Some of the screen messages read:
>"Windows Error Recovery"
>"Windows failed to start."
>"Launch repair (recommended)"
>
>When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and it
>reads:
>
>"Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to
>your computer.
>
>This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an
>external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as
>a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
>storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
>
>If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
>manufacturer.

>Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"
>
>There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the power
>cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
>erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
>transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose the
>data.

Aren't the files from the old desktop still on the old desktop?

>Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's from
>floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how to
>create a boot cd.
>
>If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to save or
>recover the files?
>
>Any help would be most appreciated!
>
>Thanks, Maria

GoalieMom

Re: pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with anoth

Bought them a month ago, and want to return the faulty one as soon as we get
the files, but can't get the files until Vista boots.

> If you have 'just' bought them, take the faulty one back and get it
> exchanged for something which works..
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Mike Hall - MVP

> Bought them a month ago, and want to return the faulty one as soon as we
> get
> the files, but can't get the files until Vista boots.
>

>> If you have 'just' bought them, take the faulty one back and get it
>> exchanged for something which works..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> How to construct a good post..
>> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
>> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

Take the machine to a technician who can remove the drive and read it with a
regular PC..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

GoalieMom

Re: pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with anoth
haha - no they're not - used a flash drive to transfer the files, formatted
the old desktop and gave it away.

And no, the files aren't on the flash drive either, it was erased to
transfer files to another laptop.

Thanks, Maria

"andy" wrote:

> Aren't the files from the old desktop still on the old desktop

GoalieMom

RE: pc does not boot - is it possible to create boot cd with anoth
Thanks, am going to try that today.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> http://www.knoppix.org/
>
> You can download the above Knoppix Live CD, and burn an ISO image to CD from
> it.
> It is a bootable disk that does not install, and only uses your RAM and
> Graphics to run.
> You can copy all Data to Flash drive with it.
>

> --
> Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia
>

> "GoalieMom" wrote:
>
> > We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium. Now
> > one does not boot.
> >
> > Some of the screen messages read:
> > "Windows Error Recovery"
> > "Windows failed to start."
> > "Launch repair (recommended)"
> >
> > When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and it
> > reads:
> >
> > "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to
> > your computer.
> >
> > This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an
> > external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as
> > a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
> > storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
> >
> > If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
> > manufacturer.

> > Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"
> >
> > There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the power
> > cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
> > erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
> > transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose the
> > data.
> >
> > Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's from
> > floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how to
> > create a boot cd.
> >
> > If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to save or
> > recover the files?
> >
> > Any help would be most appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks, Maria

Brink

GoalieMom;699496 Wrote:
> We just bought 2 Toshiba Satellites A200, both run Vista Home Premium.
> Now
> one does not boot.
>
> Some of the screen messages read:
> "Windows Error Recovery"
> "Windows failed to start."
> "Launch repair (recommended)"
>
> When we click Launch repair the screen goes to Windows Boot Manager and
> it
> reads:
>
> "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device
> connected to
> your computer.
>
> This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such
> as an
> external usb drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware
> such as
> a hard drive or cd-rom drive that is failing. Make sure any removable
> storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.
>
> If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware
> manufacturer.

> Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred"
>
> There is/was no external device connected to the laptop - only the
> power
> cord. I contacted Toshiba and they wanted to do the recovery that would
> erase everything on the laptop. Something we don't want to do - we just
> transferred all our files from an old desktop - we don't want to lose
> the
> data.
>
> Is there any way to save the data? I remember being able to boot pc's
> from
> floppy disks. I searched online but couldn't find instructions on how
> create a boot cd.
>
> If it's not possible to create a boot cd, is there any other way to
> save or
> recover the files?
>
> Any help would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Maria

Hi Maria,

In addition to the other posts, this tutorial will show you how to
create a Vista Recovery DVD that you can use to attempt to do a Startup
Repair with at boot.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/14...very-disc.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn