USB Problems

Ike

USB Problems
When I first bought my laptop, which was pre-installed with Vista Home
Premium all my UsB ports seemed to be operating at full speed, I could charge
and load/unload my iPod as well as utilise my external hard drives at optimum
speed. A few re-installations later, i get messages telling me that all my
drives aren't USB 2.0 and on top of that, i get messages that my USB devices
are malfunctioning!!
Bob W

Re: USB Problems
First thing I'd try is doing a system restore back to a time point where they were working. If that doesn't do it, then I suggest you go to the device manager (right click), properties, and update the driver. If that fails, then uninstall the USB's, then use then ADD HARDWARE in Control Panel to put them back and again update the drivers. Don't forget the right click option of "repair". If you need any help with these things let me know.

You might consider getting a good clean up and registry (not disk!) defrag program and run it every now and then to keep things tweaked up. My personal favorite is Registry Booster 2 from Uniblue. Free trial download. (www.uniblue.com) Worth every penny I paid for it. Saved my butt several times.
Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

"Ike" <Ike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B4E05C74-130A-4668-96A1-A3B785685049@microsoft.com...
When I first bought my laptop, which was pre-installed with Vista Home
Premium all my UsB ports seemed to be operating at full speed, I could charge
and load/unload my iPod as well as utilise my external hard drives at optimum
speed. A few re-installations later, i get messages telling me that all my
drives aren't USB 2.0 and on top of that, i get messages that my USB devices
are malfunctioning!!
Gordon

Re: USB Problems
"Ike" <Ike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I first bought my laptop, which was pre-installed with Vista Home
> Premium all my UsB ports seemed to be operating at full speed, I could
> charge
> and load/unload my iPod as well as utilise my external hard drives at
> optimum
> speed. A few re-installations later, i get messages telling me that all my
> drives aren't USB 2.0 and on top of that, i get messages that my USB
> devices
> are malfunctioning!!

May I ask, as Vista has only been out just over a year, WHY you have done "a
few re-installations"? There should be no need to re-install for years as
long as you do proper and timely system housekeeping...

KingOfChaos

Re: USB Problems

You need to find and reinstall the USB drivers.

--
KingOfChaos

"I am the BSOD that haunts your every process"
Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB Problems
There usually aren't usb drivers for Vista. They are integrated into the
system.

"KingOfChaos" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> You need to find and reinstall the USB drivers.
>

> --
> KingOfChaos
>
> "I am the BSOD that haunts your every process"

Colin Barnhorst

Re: USB Problems
A laptop usb bus can have too many devices attached to power the usb ports
(even if the devices all have their own power supplies). This effect can
become accute if you are using a hub.

"Ike" <Ike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I first bought my laptop, which was pre-installed with Vista Home
> Premium all my UsB ports seemed to be operating at full speed, I could
> charge
> and load/unload my iPod as well as utilise my external hard drives at
> optimum
> speed. A few re-installations later, i get messages telling me that all my
> drives aren't USB 2.0 and on top of that, i get messages that my USB
> devices
> are malfunctioning!!

Bob W

Re: USB Problems
Very true. My HP DV9500 comes with 4 USB ports and I added a 4 port hub at one time making for 6, plus I had a power plug-thru tap for running a cooling pad so I potentially had to provide power from 7 devices off of my laptop. Since I run off of wall power 24/7 the battery wasn't an issue and several of the devices were low draw (Bluetooth dongles, flash drives) but the fans and the floppy and camera weren't. I got separate power supplies for all the items I could and the new machine has Bluetooth built-in. Still, even with all of that, everything worked OK. I never tried it on battery alone but I image that it would eat the battery up in no time.