Sony DVD not recognized

=?Utf-8?B?RA==?=

Sony DVD not recognized
Hi,
For some reason Windows Vista is no longer recognizing my DVD player. It is
saying I need a new driver but Sony is not being helpful and I can't seem to
use the windows driver update to auto update. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Don

Re: Sony DVD not recognized
D wrote:
> Hi,
> For some reason Windows Vista is no longer recognizing my DVD player. It is
> saying I need a new driver but Sony is not being helpful and I can't seem to
> use the windows driver update to auto update. Any help would be appreciated!

Quite a few people are having similar problems -- CD/DVD drives and USB
devices seem to be most affected. I've seen no solutions posted so far.

I have some ideas, but I need someone with at least a basic working
knowledge of the Registry to test them for me.
=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9zam9obg==?=

Re: Sony DVD not recognized
Following some automatic updates last night my DVD drive (Slimtype DVD
DS8AZH) no longer works. I have tried everything - re-install, system restore
etc but no luck. It looks like the updates have screwed the registry entry
for the drive. Anyone got any ideas?

"Don" wrote:

> D wrote:
> > Hi,
> > For some reason Windows Vista is no longer recognizing my DVD player. It is
> > saying I need a new driver but Sony is not being helpful and I can't seem to
> > use the windows driver update to auto update. Any help would be appreciated!

> Quite a few people are having similar problems -- CD/DVD drives and USB
> devices seem to be most affected. I've seen no solutions posted so far.
>
> I have some ideas, but I need someone with at least a basic working
> knowledge of the Registry to test them for me.

Richard Urban

Re: Sony DVD not recognized
As a first step, uninstall the DVD drive from Device Manager. After a
reboot, the system will try to re-detect the device and install the correct
drivers. This may solve your problem.

I am using 2 Sony drives in my main computer and they are both detected
automatically and function without problems.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban MVP
Microsoft Windows Shell/User

"D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> For some reason Windows Vista is no longer recognizing my DVD player. It
> is
> saying I need a new driver but Sony is not being helpful and I can't seem
> use the windows driver update to auto update. Any help would be
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkaW9zam9obg==?=

Re: Sony DVD not recognized
Hi Richard

I have done this several times. Each time fails with message "failed"
contact manufacturers website etc. (Which I can't locate).I don't think mine
is a Sony drive - it's in a HP laptop. Did you also have the Vista updates
recently. I think this is what has caused the problem but it may only affect
certain drives etc.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> As a first step, uninstall the DVD drive from Device Manager. After a
> reboot, the system will try to re-detect the device and install the correct
> drivers. This may solve your problem.
>
> I am using 2 Sony drives in my main computer and they are both detected
> automatically and function without problems.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban MVP
> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>

> "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > For some reason Windows Vista is no longer recognizing my DVD player. It
> > is
> > saying I need a new driver but Sony is not being helpful and I can't seem
> > use the windows driver update to auto update. Any help would be
> > appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks

Richard Urban

Re: Sony DVD not recognized
Yes. I have installed all the Vista updates. When I installed my new Sony
DVD combo drive I went to the Sony web site and found that there was already
a firmware upgrade for it, even though it was only released for sale one
week prior to my purchase. You may want to check for updates for your drive.

--

"Radiosjohn" <Radiosjohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Richard
>
> I have done this several times. Each time fails with message "failed"
> contact manufacturers website etc. (Which I can't locate).I don't think
> mine
> is a Sony drive - it's in a HP laptop. Did you also have the Vista updates
> recently. I think this is what has caused the problem but it may only
> affect
> certain drives etc.
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> As a first step, uninstall the DVD drive from Device Manager. After a
>> reboot, the system will try to re-detect the device and install the
>> correct
>> drivers. This may solve your problem.
>>
>> I am using 2 Sony drives in my main computer and they are both detected
>> automatically and function without problems.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban MVP
>> Microsoft Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "D" <D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > For some reason Windows Vista is no longer recognizing my DVD player.
>> > It
>> > is
>> > saying I need a new driver but Sony is not being helpful and I can't
>> > seem
>> > use the windows driver update to auto update. Any help would be
>> > appreciated!
>> >
>> > Thanks

Don

Re: Sony DVD not recognized
"Radiosjohn" <Radiosjohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Richard
>
> I have done this several times. Each time fails with message "failed"...

Two things:

At exactly what step do you see this error message, and who is it
that's complaining? Are the drivers installed okay?

I just found out about Vista's reliablility monitor, which I'd like you
to try. The easiest way to use it is to open a command prompt with
Administrator privileges and type 'perfmon'. Click on the icon for
'Reliability Monitor' and see if anything there looks interesting.