USB thumbdrive detected but not shown in VistaExplorer or Command-

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFVc2Vy?=

USB thumbdrive detected but not shown in VistaExplorer or Command-
When i plug in a USB thumbdrive, 2 possible scenarios:
(1) Device manager detects the USB device as a Disk drive. Explorer does
not show Drive icon. When i click on 'Policy' tab of this device, my Drive
property dialog box 'hangs'. The 'Optimize for Performance' is checked, but
the whole 'Policy' tab is greyed out, i.e., not user-selectable.
(2) Device manager detects the device and it is shown in Explorer.
However, the Drive icon takes a long time, about 5 mins, to appear. My Drive
property dialog box also 'hangs' when i click on the 'Policy' tab.

I have tried Uninstalling the device driver and then rebooting the Vista
Business PC, but the problem keeps recurring.
AdamC

Re: USB thumbdrive detected but not shown in VistaExplorer or Command-
Same problem here. Sandisk Cruzer Titanium w/U3.

VistaUser wrote:
> When i plug in a USB thumbdrive, 2 possible scenarios:
> (1) Device manager detects the USB device as a Disk drive. Explorer does
> not show Drive icon. When i click on 'Policy' tab of this device, my Drive
> property dialog box 'hangs'. The 'Optimize for Performance' is checked, but
> the whole 'Policy' tab is greyed out, i.e., not user-selectable.
> (2) Device manager detects the device and it is shown in Explorer.
> However, the Drive icon takes a long time, about 5 mins, to appear. My Drive
> property dialog box also 'hangs' when i click on the 'Policy' tab.
>
> I have tried Uninstalling the device driver and then rebooting the Vista
> Business PC, but the problem keeps recurring.

CrimLiar

"AdamC" <seriously@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Same problem here. Sandisk Cruzer Titanium w/U3.
>
> VistaUser wrote:
>> When i plug in a USB thumbdrive, 2 possible scenarios:
>> (1) Device manager detects the USB device as a Disk drive. Explorer
>> does not show Drive icon. When i click on 'Policy' tab of this device,
>> my Drive property dialog box 'hangs'. The 'Optimize for Performance' is
>> checked, but the whole 'Policy' tab is greyed out, i.e., not
>> user-selectable.
>> (2) Device manager detects the device and it is shown in Explorer.
>> However, the Drive icon takes a long time, about 5 mins, to appear. My
>> Drive property dialog box also 'hangs' when i click on the 'Policy' tab.
>>
>> I have tried Uninstalling the device driver and then rebooting the Vista
>> Business PC, but the problem keeps recurring.

Very simply.... Your BIOS (you know that press "del" to enter setup you see
before the OS even boots), is either:
Set to boot from "removable media" (ie your thumbdrive) before your hard
drive.
or
Recognizes your thumbdrive as a HDD and you need to change the boot order to
boot to your REAL HDD first...

It all depends on the thumbdrive itself, either way its not a vista thing.
If you cant solve this in about 2 mins flat, tell us all the make and model
of your motherboard and I'm sure we can give you step by step instructions.

Crimliar

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFVc2Vy?=

Re: USB thumbdrive detected but not shown in VistaExplorer or Comm
Hi CrimLiar,

Thanks for the info. I did change the bootup sequence but to no avail.
However, i did try with another thumbdrive (a brandless one) and Vista was
able to bootup and also detects the brandless thumbdrive (by displaying the
drive icon) in Explorer. The 'Policy' tab shows 'Optimized for quick
removal' and the choices are user-selectable.
Hence, i can only conclude that my TwinMOS 256MB USB2.0 (bought in 04/05) is
not that compatible with Vista.