Harddrive running at 100% all the time

Andy

Harddrive running at 100% all the time
Hello

I bought myself a new Dell XPS 420 computer on the 19th april,

And i can hear the harddrive running all the time, even when the PC is doing
nothing.

i have turned off indexing, that search thing, and auto defrag and also the
superper frech thing

but still it is running at 100%.

if i check the monitoring tools it shows it at 100% all the time.

i left the machine on for 3 days doing nothing, and still hd is running at
100%

i cant do that much with the thing, it can take 5min to copy a 10mb file on
the desktop to my documents folder.

I have done a totaly reinstall (and disbaled the above services), and again
still running at 100% all the time

the machine specs, are quad 2.6ghz, 3gb ram, 750gb hd.

i have also noticed that the avalible memory is 10mb when checking on task
manager.

(i have also installed windows xp pro, and this works all ok, so i am guess
it is something to do with vista)

anyone have any ideas to why, and how to stop it, as it is driving me nuts

thanks

Andy

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Harddrive running at 100% all the time
What edition of Vista and how much memory?

"Andy" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I bought myself a new Dell XPS 420 computer on the 19th april,
>
> And i can hear the harddrive running all the time, even when the PC is
> doing nothing.
>
> i have turned off indexing, that search thing, and auto defrag and also
> the superper frech thing
>
> but still it is running at 100%.
>
> if i check the monitoring tools it shows it at 100% all the time.
>
> i left the machine on for 3 days doing nothing, and still hd is running at
> 100%
>
> i cant do that much with the thing, it can take 5min to copy a 10mb file
> on the desktop to my documents folder.
>
> I have done a totaly reinstall (and disbaled the above services), and
> again still running at 100% all the time
>
> the machine specs, are quad 2.6ghz, 3gb ram, 750gb hd.
>
> i have also noticed that the avalible memory is 10mb when checking on task
> manager.
>
> (i have also installed windows xp pro, and this works all ok, so i am
> guess it is something to do with vista)
>
> anyone have any ideas to why, and how to stop it, as it is driving me nuts
>
> thanks
>
> Andy

Michael Reinders

Re: Harddrive running at 100% all the time
Open Resource Monitor (from Task Manager), expand the Disk category, and
click on the Read (B/min) and Write (B/Min) column headers to sort to see
exactly what physical files Vista is reading/writing to/from. That should
give you an excellent clue, if not the reason.

I LOVE this new feature in Vista.

--
Michael Reinders
Vista Ultimate SP1

"Andy" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I bought myself a new Dell XPS 420 computer on the 19th april,
>
> And i can hear the harddrive running all the time, even when the PC is
> doing nothing.
>
> i have turned off indexing, that search thing, and auto defrag and also
> the superper frech thing
>
> but still it is running at 100%.
>
> if i check the monitoring tools it shows it at 100% all the time.
>
> i left the machine on for 3 days doing nothing, and still hd is running at
> 100%
>
> i cant do that much with the thing, it can take 5min to copy a 10mb file
> on the desktop to my documents folder.
>
> I have done a totaly reinstall (and disbaled the above services), and
> again still running at 100% all the time
>
> the machine specs, are quad 2.6ghz, 3gb ram, 750gb hd.
>
> i have also noticed that the avalible memory is 10mb when checking on task
> manager.
>
> (i have also installed windows xp pro, and this works all ok, so i am
> guess it is something to do with vista)
>
> anyone have any ideas to why, and how to stop it, as it is driving me nuts
>
> thanks
>
> Andy

Andy

Re: Harddrive running at 100% all the time
I am running vista home premium, and it has 3gb of ram.

Andy

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> What edition of Vista and how much memory?
>
> "Andy" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I bought myself a new Dell XPS 420 computer on the 19th april,
>>
>> And i can hear the harddrive running all the time, even when the PC is
>> doing nothing.
>>
>> i have turned off indexing, that search thing, and auto defrag and also
>> the superper frech thing
>>
>> but still it is running at 100%.
>>
>> if i check the monitoring tools it shows it at 100% all the time.
>>
>> i left the machine on for 3 days doing nothing, and still hd is running
>> at 100%
>>
>> i cant do that much with the thing, it can take 5min to copy a 10mb file
>> on the desktop to my documents folder.
>>
>> I have done a totaly reinstall (and disbaled the above services), and
>> again still running at 100% all the time
>>
>> the machine specs, are quad 2.6ghz, 3gb ram, 750gb hd.
>>
>> i have also noticed that the avalible memory is 10mb when checking on
>> task manager.
>>
>> (i have also installed windows xp pro, and this works all ok, so i am
>> guess it is something to do with vista)
>>
>> anyone have any ideas to why, and how to stop it, as it is driving me
>> nuts
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Andy

Andy

Re: Harddrive running at 100% all the time
Hello

this is where is it saying it is running 100% of the time.

lots of system files, (100's of them)

Andy
"Michael Reinders" <mdreinders@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Open Resource Monitor (from Task Manager), expand the Disk category, and
> click on the Read (B/min) and Write (B/Min) column headers to sort to see
> exactly what physical files Vista is reading/writing to/from. That should
> give you an excellent clue, if not the reason.
>
> I LOVE this new feature in Vista.
>
> --
> Michael Reinders
> Vista Ultimate SP1
>
> "Andy" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> I bought myself a new Dell XPS 420 computer on the 19th april,
>>
>> And i can hear the harddrive running all the time, even when the PC is
>> doing nothing.
>>
>> i have turned off indexing, that search thing, and auto defrag and also
>> the superper frech thing
>>
>> but still it is running at 100%.
>>
>> if i check the monitoring tools it shows it at 100% all the time.
>>
>> i left the machine on for 3 days doing nothing, and still hd is running
>> at 100%
>>
>> i cant do that much with the thing, it can take 5min to copy a 10mb file
>> on the desktop to my documents folder.
>>
>> I have done a totaly reinstall (and disbaled the above services), and
>> again still running at 100% all the time
>>
>> the machine specs, are quad 2.6ghz, 3gb ram, 750gb hd.
>>
>> i have also noticed that the avalible memory is 10mb when checking on
>> task manager.
>>
>> (i have also installed windows xp pro, and this works all ok, so i am
>> guess it is something to do with vista)
>>
>> anyone have any ideas to why, and how to stop it, as it is driving me
>> nuts
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Andy

Andy

Re: Harddrive running at 100% all the time
fixed this, by taken the computer back to the shops and buying a HP machine.