HDD not recognized

=?Utf-8?B?UyBNdXJkZXI=?=

HDD not recognized
All of a sudden Vista won't recognize my Samsung hd1600jj 160GB SATA II
Drive, or my Samsung CD/DVD Reader/Writer. It's asking for the drivers, but
I never needed drivers for them in the first place.
=?Utf-8?B?S2V2NTAwMjc=?=

RE: HDD not recognized
Just go to Samsung's website and download the drivers for your CD/DVD Reader.
There may also be drivers available for your hard drive too.

"S Murder" wrote:

> All of a sudden Vista won't recognize my Samsung hd1600jj 160GB SATA II
> Drive, or my Samsung CD/DVD Reader/Writer. It's asking for the drivers, but
> I never needed drivers for them in the first place.

=?Utf-8?B?UyBNdXJkZXI=?=

RE: HDD not recognized
Nope, there aren't. I checked. And I don't know why I'd have to if I never
needed drivers for a HD before. Obviously there's something wrong with
Windows.
Actually, my DVD drive works, but appears in the unknown device section as
well.

"Kev50027" wrote:

> Just go to Samsung's website and download the drivers for your CD/DVD Reader.
> There may also be drivers available for your hard drive too.
>
> "S Murder" wrote:
>
> > All of a sudden Vista won't recognize my Samsung hd1600jj 160GB SATA II
> > Drive, or my Samsung CD/DVD Reader/Writer. It's asking for the drivers, but
> > I never needed drivers for them in the first place.

Don

Re: HDD not recognized
S Murder wrote:
> Actually, my DVD drive works, but appears in the unknown device section as
> well.

Please try this: open a command prompt window as administrator and type
'perfmon'. When the window opens click on the icon for Reliability
Monitor. Browse around there and see if you can find anything to clue
us all in to what's causing this annoying problem.

Thanks.
=?Utf-8?B?UyBNdXJkZXI=?=

Re: HDD not recognized
I used the tool, but it doesn't let me export the info to a file, copy and
paste the text, and it doesn't even show the time the events happened (only
dates). I looked at it, and all it says is that it installed a bunch of
Updates and that it failed to install the HDD drivers a bunch of times.

"Don" wrote:

> S Murder wrote:
> > Actually, my DVD drive works, but appears in the unknown device section as
> > well.

> Please try this: open a command prompt window as administrator and type
> 'perfmon'. When the window opens click on the icon for Reliability
> Monitor. Browse around there and see if you can find anything to clue
> us all in to what's causing this annoying problem.
>
> Thanks.

pete

Re: HDD not recognized
Your really not looking for HD drivers...you are looking for the drivers for
the SATA controller on your motherboard.............try going to device
manager and see if your HD is listed as being connected to a SATA or EIDE
controller.....try rolling back the driver to the previous version or go to
your mobo website and search for the drivers there.
peter
"S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I used the tool, but it doesn't let me export the info to a file, copy and
> paste the text, and it doesn't even show the time the events happened
> (only
> dates). I looked at it, and all it says is that it installed a bunch of
> Updates and that it failed to install the HDD drivers a bunch of times.
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
>> S Murder wrote:
>> > Actually, my DVD drive works, but appears in the unknown device section
>> > as
>> > well.

>> Please try this: open a command prompt window as administrator and type
>> 'perfmon'. When the window opens click on the icon for Reliability
>> Monitor. Browse around there and see if you can find anything to clue
>> us all in to what's causing this annoying problem.
>>
>> Thanks.

Don

Re: HDD not recognized
S Murder wrote:
> I used the tool, but it doesn't let me export the info to a file, copy and
> paste the text, and it doesn't even show the time the events happened (only
> dates). I looked at it, and all it says is that it installed a bunch of
> Updates and that it failed to install the HDD drivers a bunch of times.

Thanks for trying it. The big question is why the driver installation
failed. If you're up to a bit more detective work I strongly advise
using this great debugging tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx
(The download link is way at the bottom of the page.)

It requires no installation. Once you unzip it you can even run it from
your Desktop if you want.

If I had your problem I would use it to monitor which directories Vista
searches while looking for its driver files. It will also tell you
which Registry keys are accessed and more, if you want it to.

If I could reproduce the bug I probably could have found the answer by
now (

> "Don" wrote:
>> Please try this: open a command prompt window as administrator and type
>> 'perfmon'. When the window opens click on the icon for Reliability
>> Monitor. Browse around there and see if you can find anything to clue
>> us all in to what's causing this annoying problem.
>>
>> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?UyBNdXJkZXI=?=

Re: HDD not recognized
I tried that program too, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Other helpful info:
I just put all my computer stuff into a new case, and got a new CPU fan.
Windows started, crashed twice, and I booted into Safe mode. In Safe mode
everything worked fine, and when I rebooted into normal mode is when I had
these problems.
The DVD/CD drive appears like it should in the Device Manager, but not in My
Computer and there's also an unknown DVD drive in Device Manager.
Both the HDD and DVD/CD drive appear fine in the BIOS.
I'm back in Safe Mode, and the problems are still there.

"Don" wrote:

> S Murder wrote:
> > I used the tool, but it doesn't let me export the info to a file, copy and
> > paste the text, and it doesn't even show the time the events happened (only
> > dates). I looked at it, and all it says is that it installed a bunch of
> > Updates and that it failed to install the HDD drivers a bunch of times.

> Thanks for trying it. The big question is why the driver installation
> failed. If you're up to a bit more detective work I strongly advise
> using this great debugging tool:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx
> (The download link is way at the bottom of the page.)
>
> It requires no installation. Once you unzip it you can even run it from
> your Desktop if you want.
>
> If I had your problem I would use it to monitor which directories Vista
> searches while looking for its driver files. It will also tell you
> which Registry keys are accessed and more, if you want it to.
>
> If I could reproduce the bug I probably could have found the answer by
> now (
>
> > "Don" wrote:
> >> Please try this: open a command prompt window as administrator and type
> >> 'perfmon'. When the window opens click on the icon for Reliability
> >> Monitor. Browse around there and see if you can find anything to clue
> >> us all in to what's causing this annoying problem.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

koze

Re: HDD not recognized
Latest chipset drivers for the MB installed?
Seems to me the Chipset isn't workin 100% (drivers) and not reporting
corrcet to Vista.
In safe mode there are no drivers loaded.

Ko.
"S Murder" <SMurder@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I tried that program too, but I'm not sure what to look for.
>
> Other helpful info:
> I just put all my computer stuff into a new case, and got a new CPU fan.
> Windows started, crashed twice, and I booted into Safe mode. In Safe mode
> everything worked fine, and when I rebooted into normal mode is when I had
> these problems.
> The DVD/CD drive appears like it should in the Device Manager, but not in
> My
> Computer and there's also an unknown DVD drive in Device Manager.
> Both the HDD and DVD/CD drive appear fine in the BIOS.
> I'm back in Safe Mode, and the problems are still there.
>
> "Don" wrote:
>
>> S Murder wrote:
>> > I used the tool, but it doesn't let me export the info to a file, copy
>> > and
>> > paste the text, and it doesn't even show the time the events happened
>> > (only
>> > dates). I looked at it, and all it says is that it installed a bunch of
>> > Updates and that it failed to install the HDD drivers a bunch of times.

>> Thanks for trying it. The big question is why the driver installation
>> failed. If you're up to a bit more detective work I strongly advise
>> using this great debugging tool:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx
>> (The download link is way at the bottom of the page.)
>>
>> It requires no installation. Once you unzip it you can even run it from
>> your Desktop if you want.
>>
>> If I had your problem I would use it to monitor which directories Vista
>> searches while looking for its driver files. It will also tell you
>> which Registry keys are accessed and more, if you want it to.
>>
>> If I could reproduce the bug I probably could have found the answer by
>> now (

=?Utf-8?B?UyBNdXJkZXI=?=

Re: HDD not recognized
If it loads no drivers, then how am I able to use my other 2 HDDs?