spacebar not working

cumbiagermen

spacebar not working
During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a
software issue.

Any ideas?
Bob W

Re: spacebar not working
What operating system? Off the top of my head, uninstall the keyboard hardware, reinstall, remove and reinstall driver updates. That might do it. Or do a System Restore back to a time point where it was working. Any idea why it only occurs in evening? Has system been on a long time? Heat build up? Is this a PC or laptop? Using a USB or SP2 or wireless keyboard(s)?
Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.

Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf

"cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00A473D-8300-4F4A-A03A-676E3E51A362@microsoft.com...
During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a
software issue.

Any ideas?
cumbiagermen

Re: spacebar not working
Ultimate 32-bit, on a custom-built desktop

as I said, problem occurs no matter what keyboard I use, so I don't think
uninstalling keyboard drivers will work. My primary keyboard is the Remote
Keyboard for XP Media Center.

No heat buildup. System stays on sleep mode (practically turned off) for
entire day until I get home.

"Bob W" wrote:

> What operating system? Off the top of my head, uninstall the keyboard hardware, reinstall, remove and reinstall driver updates. That might do it. Or do a System Restore back to a time point where it was working. Any idea why it only occurs in evening? Has system been on a long time? Heat build up? Is this a PC or laptop? Using a USB or SP2 or wireless keyboard(s)?
> Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
>

> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
>
> Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
>
> "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00A473D-8300-4F4A-A03A-676E3E51A362@microsoft.com...
> During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
> almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
> spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
> remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a
> software issue.
>
> Any ideas?

Bob W

Re: spacebar not working
Well, I still suggest you uninstall the keyboard and then reinstall it using the ADD HARDWARE WIZARD. Then the drivers. Worth a try. BY Remote do you mean wireless? Or P2 or USB? Need to give more information as requested. Make, model of PC and keyboard(s).

There is an know issue with Vista and sleep mode as after long periods in sleep mode, some hardware driver disappear for some reason. With my system it's the Bluetooth card or the USB Webcam that screws up. A restart or add hardware usually fixes it.

"Bob W" wrote:

> What operating system? Off the top of my head, uninstall the keyboard hardware, reinstall, remove and reinstall driver updates. That might do it. Or do a System Restore back to a time point where it was working. Any idea why it only occurs in evening? Has system been on a long time? Heat build up? Is this a PC or laptop? Using a USB or SP2 or wireless keyboard(s)?
> Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
>

> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
>
> Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
>
> "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00A473D-8300-4F4A-A03A-676E3E51A362@microsoft.com...
> During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
> almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
> spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
> remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a
> software issue.
>
> Any ideas?

cumbiagermen

Re: spacebar not working
As I said, PC is custom built, ASUS mobo, seagate HDDs, Nvidia GPU, Intel
Core 2 CPU, 2GB RAM

The keyboard IS called "Remote Keyboard for Windows XP Media Center
Edition". It works over IR, so it is wireless.

If it is the known issue you suggested, still doesnt explain why problem
only occurs in the eveningtime.

"Bob W" wrote:

> Well, I still suggest you uninstall the keyboard and then reinstall it using the ADD HARDWARE WIZARD. Then the drivers. Worth a try. BY Remote do you mean wireless? Or P2 or USB? Need to give more information as requested. Make, model of PC and keyboard(s).
>
> There is an know issue with Vista and sleep mode as after long periods in sleep mode, some hardware driver disappear for some reason. With my system it's the Bluetooth card or the USB Webcam that screws up. A restart or add hardware usually fixes it.
> Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
>

> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
>
> Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
>

> "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68E5D8F-5FDF-4C2A-8C79-3DBF8A37842F@microsoft.com...
> Ultimate 32-bit, on a custom-built desktop
>
> as I said, problem occurs no matter what keyboard I use, so I don't think
> uninstalling keyboard drivers will work. My primary keyboard is the Remote
> Keyboard for XP Media Center.
>
> No heat buildup. System stays on sleep mode (practically turned off) for
> entire day until I get home.
>
> "Bob W" wrote:
>
> > What operating system? Off the top of my head, uninstall the keyboard hardware, reinstall, remove and reinstall driver updates. That might do it. Or do a System Restore back to a time point where it was working. Any idea why it only occurs in evening? Has system been on a long time? Heat build up? Is this a PC or laptop? Using a USB or SP2 or wireless keyboard(s)?
> > Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
> >

> > No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
> >
> > Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
> >
> > "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00A473D-8300-4F4A-A03A-676E3E51A362@microsoft.com...
> > During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
> > almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
> > spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
> > remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a
> > software issue.
> >
> > Any ideas?

Bob W

Re: spacebar not working
Yes, you're right. That "evening only" issue has me stumped too. Are there any time based programs running/not running at that time frame? Other than the clock on the wall, what is different about the evening? Nothing comes to mind for an answer.

Could there be some sort of IR/RF interference occurring in the evening that is not on during the day? If you aren't there all day, how do you know the issue isn't also there during the day? Any other IR remotes, controls in the room? A CFB light or some thing? A bad ballast in a fluorescent light, etc.? Don't laugh, I've seen it happen! Is there a WiFi or Bluetooth card active in the PC? Some IR control systems are sensitive to certain ambient lighting systems. I assume that in the evening there would be more artificial lights on? Any CFB or LED or fluorescents?

Hell, I'm throwing spitballs here hoping one will stick. If two IR devices are "sending" at same time in same area (not necessarily line of site - IR does reflect of some surfaces), the signals can interfere. Just a thought. Anyone got better?

"Bob W" wrote:

> Well, I still suggest you uninstall the keyboard and then reinstall it using the ADD HARDWARE WIZARD. Then the drivers. Worth a try. BY Remote do you mean wireless? Or P2 or USB? Need to give more information as requested. Make, model of PC and keyboard(s).
>
> There is an know issue with Vista and sleep mode as after long periods in sleep mode, some hardware driver disappear for some reason. With my system it's the Bluetooth card or the USB Webcam that screws up. A restart or add hardware usually fixes it.
> Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
>

> No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
>
> Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
>

> "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F68E5D8F-5FDF-4C2A-8C79-3DBF8A37842F@microsoft.com...
> Ultimate 32-bit, on a custom-built desktop
>
> as I said, problem occurs no matter what keyboard I use, so I don't think
> uninstalling keyboard drivers will work. My primary keyboard is the Remote
> Keyboard for XP Media Center.
>
> No heat buildup. System stays on sleep mode (practically turned off) for
> entire day until I get home.
>
> "Bob W" wrote:
>
> > What operating system? Off the top of my head, uninstall the keyboard hardware, reinstall, remove and reinstall driver updates. That might do it. Or do a System Restore back to a time point where it was working. Any idea why it only occurs in evening? Has system been on a long time? Heat build up? Is this a PC or laptop? Using a USB or SP2 or wireless keyboard(s)?
> > Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
> >

> > No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
> >
> > Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
> >
> > "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00A473D-8300-4F4A-A03A-676E3E51A362@microsoft.com...
> > During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
> > almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
> > spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
> > remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a
> > software issue.
> >
> > Any ideas?

cumbiagermen

Re: spacebar not working
Even if it is all those things you conjectured, it seems a little far-fetched
that some kind of IR interference would disrupt ONLY the spacebar key.

However, your conjecture of "time based programs running at that time frame"
got me thinking, and I figured out what is causing the problem: my Trillian
IM 4.0 (Astra), which is currently in development state. The reason why I
only thought this problem occurred in the evening is that that's when I
usually open my IM program to see who's online at night.

So apparently they got a bug that prevents the spacebar key from
registering, I'll send them a note over to the developers so they can issue a
fix.

Problem solved, thanks!

"Bob W" wrote:

> [...]
> > > Bob, Still Old, Still Grey, And Still A Woolf
> > >

> > > No trees were harmed in the sending of this message and a very large number of electrons were asked their permission to be terribly inconvenienced. And a party was thrown for them afterwards for being really cool about it.
> > >
> > > Bob's Space - Home Page of the Olde Greywoolf
> > >
> > > "cumbiagermen" <cumbiagermen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E00A473D-8300-4F4A-A03A-676E3E51A362@microsoft.com...
> > > During the eveningtime, the spacebar on my keyboard stops working. I am
> > > almost certain it's not the keyboard itself because I tried using the
> > > spacebar using the On-Screen Keyboard, using a diff. keyboard, and connecting
> > > remotely and in all those instances the spacebar didn't work. So it must be a

Bob W

Re: spacebar not working
Well, great! Glad one of my many, and desperate, spit balls did stick! Glad to have helped brainstorm. Sometimes all it takes is an outside view. Had that happen to me a LOT of times. Back when I was a Weapons Mech in AF we got a new A/C called the A-10 back in 1969. Had a brand new, first of it's type, real fancy, solid state weapons systems control console filled with these new fangled IC chips. Had a problem. On the ground and in the shop, they system checked out just fine. But when it flew, after a period of time, it would stop working. After about the 12th time pulling the damn thing out to take it back to the shop to run another useless test on a now working just fine console, as I was taking off my flight jacket from coming back inside, it occurred to me that at altitude, it was a lot colder than here in the shop.

So I put the damn thing in the refrigerator, plugged in a thermometer, and started testing it over and over. At about 42' F, it shut down. A previously undiscovered temperature related IC chip failure point. The fix was easy after that. If it hadn't been for the act of taking off my coat making me think of temperature, I'd still be there trying to figure it out!