How much RAM can I upgrade to

Radeksgrl

How much RAM can I upgrade to
I have a HP Pavilion dv2315nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The store i bought
it from claims it was sold to me with 1GB RAM and that the is RAM is
expandlable to 2 GB. I called HP and was told that 1GB is the max memory
capacity for the model I have. It there any way to check the computer itself
(hardware ?), to see how much RAM is currently on it and how much I can
expand the RAM to?
Gordon

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to
"Radeksgrl" <Radeksgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion dv2315nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The store i bought
> it from claims it was sold to me with 1GB RAM and that the is RAM is
> expandlable to 2 GB. I called HP and was told that 1GB is the max memory
> capacity for the model I have. It there any way to check the computer
> itself
> (hardware ?), to see how much RAM is currently on it and how much I can
> expand the RAM to?

www.crucial.com

Colin Barnhorst

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to
Use the ram configurator software on a site like Crucial Memories. It will
install an active X program that will analyse your computer, look up the
model and specs in their database, and give you your options. Your computer
uses 2 slots of DDR2 ram. Whether or not it will work with 2 sticks of 2GB
ram depends on how the mobo is engineered and what the chipset and BIOS will
support. The configurator will know these things and advise you on the ram
to use accordingly.

"Radeksgrl" <Radeksgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion dv2315nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The store i bought
> it from claims it was sold to me with 1GB RAM and that the is RAM is
> expandlable to 2 GB. I called HP and was told that 1GB is the max memory
> capacity for the model I have. It there any way to check the computer
> itself
> (hardware ?), to see how much RAM is currently on it and how much I can
> expand the RAM to?

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to
"Radeksgrl" <Radeksgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion dv2315nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The store i bought
> it from claims it was sold to me with 1GB RAM and that the is RAM is
> expandlable to 2 GB. I called HP and was told that 1GB is the max memory
> capacity for the model I have. It there any way to check the computer
> itself
> (hardware ?), to see how much RAM is currently on it and how much I can
> expand the RAM to?

Your machine has two memory slots, each of which can accommodate a 1gb
module.

It is best to use matching modules, so if yours has two 512mb modules, you
would be best to swap them both out..
--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Radeksgrl

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to
Thanks to all who helped me with this issue. It seemed I was a little
confused, I didn't realize there were two memory slots, each with 1GB
capacity. I upgraded the RAM last night with 1GB in each slot, and it's like
I have a new computer. On top of that, one of my 512 RAM modules was not
properly seated, so I was really only running on 512 GB total RAM. No wonder
it took 30 minutes jsut to restart the compute! With the 2GB of RAM it nolw
only take 5 minutes to restart - wonderful!

"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> "Radeksgrl" <Radeksgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a HP Pavilion dv2315nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The store i bought
> > it from claims it was sold to me with 1GB RAM and that the is RAM is
> > expandlable to 2 GB. I called HP and was told that 1GB is the max memory
> > capacity for the model I have. It there any way to check the computer
> > itself
> > (hardware ?), to see how much RAM is currently on it and how much I can
> > expand the RAM to?

> Your machine has two memory slots, each of which can accommodate a 1gb
> module.
>
> It is best to use matching modules, so if yours has two 512mb modules, you
> would be best to swap them both out..
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..

Colin Barnhorst

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to
That can happen. My wife has a laptop that has one of the memory slots in
the bottom, which is easily accessible by removing the door. But the other
one is under the keyboard and requires removal of the keyboard to change the
memory card. One would never know this from merely inspecting the laptop.
One would think there was only one memory slot. The online user manual
never mentions this second slot and gives now instructions about it. I had
to ask at the computer store to learn that there was a second slot.

> Thanks to all who helped me with this issue. It seemed I was a little
> confused, I didn't realize there were two memory slots, each with 1GB
> capacity. I upgraded the RAM last night with 1GB in each slot, and it's
> like
> I have a new computer. On top of that, one of my 512 RAM modules was not
> properly seated, so I was really only running on 512 GB total RAM. No
> wonder
> it took 30 minutes jsut to restart the compute! With the 2GB of RAM it
> nolw
> only take 5 minutes to restart - wonderful!
>

> "Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:
>
>> "Radeksgrl" <Radeksgrl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a HP Pavilion dv2315nr Entertainment Notebook PC. The store i
>> >bought
>> > it from claims it was sold to me with 1GB RAM and that the is RAM is
>> > expandlable to 2 GB. I called HP and was told that 1GB is the max
>> > memory
>> > capacity for the model I have. It there any way to check the computer
>> > itself
>> > (hardware ?), to see how much RAM is currently on it and how much I can
>> > expand the RAM to?

>> Your machine has two memory slots, each of which can accommodate a 1gb
>> module.
>>
>> It is best to use matching modules, so if yours has two 512mb modules,
>> you
>> would be best to swap them both out..
>> --
>> Mike Hall - MVP
>> How to construct a good post..
>> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
>> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...help&style=toc
>> Mike's Window - My Blog..
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx

Colin Barnhorst

Re: How much RAM can I upgrade to
Correction: "...and gives now instructions..." sb "...and gives no
instructions..."