keyboard confusion!

Location: indonesia
celticsaga is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keyboard confusion!
i don't know whether this is a hardware or software problem,
either way please help me!

okay bear me. here are my problems:

1. some of my keyboard keys produce the wrong symbols!
if i press:

*shift+numeric key 2, i get quotation mark (") -- i should get this "@" symbol, right?

*shift+single quotation mark ('), i get the commercial at (@) -- instead of the (") quotation mark.

*shift+numeric key 3, i get the pound sign (£) -- instead of the number sign (#)

*shift+(`) i don't know the name of the symbol but the key is located above the (tab) key, i get this symbol "¬" -- instead of the tilde sign "~" (well, i think that's what it's said in microsoft word's insert symbol)

note: the keyboard confusion only effects the "number 2", "number 3", ' (single quotation) key, and the tilde (~) key; BUT only when they are combine with SHIFT key.

2. keyboard shortcuts are not functioning, but this second problem happens ONLY on windows explorer. (it does not effect microsoft word, notepad, or internet explorer):

*ctrl+a -- so i can't select all files in the folder/window explorer.

*ctrl+t -- so i can't cut files to put them somewhere else.

*ctrl -- so i can't pick multiple files, randomly.

this second problem is very troublesome cause i cant move or copy multiple file!

please help me!
thanks!

o yeah,
i forgot some info:
i use NEC versa E6200 laptop;
and windows vista home basic.
Cathy Moya [MS]

Re: keyboard confusion!
Has anyone been messing with your regional and language options? To check,
click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Clock, Language, and Region
and then click Regional and Language Options (if you use the control panel
home view) or if you use the Classic view, just click Regional and Language
Options. Make sure all of the tabs are set to your country.

--
Cathy Moya
Microsoft Hardware User Experience

www.microsoft.com/hardware
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

"celticsaga" <celticsaga.38kq8g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:celticsaga.38kq8g@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> i don't know whether this is a hardware or software problem,
> either way please help me!
>
> okay bear me. here are my problems:
>
> 1. some of my keyboard keys produce the wrong symbols!
> if i press:
>
> *shift+numeric key 2, i get quotation mark (") -- i should get this "@"
> symbol, right?
>
> *shift+single quotation mark ('), i get the commercial at (@) --
> instead of the (") quotation mark.
>
> *shift+numeric key 3, i get the pound sign (£) -- instead of the number
> sign (#)
>
> *shift+(`) i don't know the name of the symbol but the key is located
> above the (tab) key, i get this symbol "¬" -- instead of the tilde sign
> "~" (well, i think that's what it's said in microsoft word's insert
> symbol)
>
> note: the keyboard confusion only effects the "number 2", "number 3", '
> (single quotation) key, and the tilde (~) key; BUT only when they are
> combine with SHIFT key.
>
> 2. keyboard shortcuts are not functioning, but this second problem
> happens ONLY on windows explorer. (it does not effect microsoft word,
> notepad, or internet explorer):
>
> *ctrl+a -- so i can't select all files in the folder/window explorer.
>
> *ctrl+t -- so i can't cut files to put them somewhere else.
>
> *ctrl -- so i can't pick multiple files, randomly.
>
> this second problem is very troublesome cause i cant move or copy
> multiple file!
>
> please help me!
> thanks!
>
> o yeah,
> i forgot some info:
> i use NEC versa E6200 laptop;
> and windows vista home basic.
>

> --
> celticsaga

Location: indonesia
celticsaga is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you for responding!

i checked the regional and language option and they are still set to indonesia (where i am now, and where i bought the laptop). so i think nobody mess up with it (i think).

however, i did change the language bar from indonesian to english (UK). does that effect the computer too?

i ask this problem to a friend of mine and he said:
1. the symbol mix-up is probably because of computer virus. but i checked it using Norman virus scan and no virus is detected; and no threat detected to using the windows defender.
2. the keyboard shortcut problem is probably because of a computer glitch that happened during shutting down the computer. and to fix it is to go to the command prompt (i think he said something like that). but i've no understanding of the how to get to it (just thinking about it makes me sweat).

any suggestion or instruction?

thanks
Cathy Moya [MS]

Re: keyboard confusion!
Hi again,
Windows lets you remap your keyboard so it will work for different country
layouts. For example, the English US keyboard layout has the @ sign if you
press Shift-2, but the English UK layout gives you " if you press Shift F+2.
How you change your layout depends on which operating system you use.

Here are the steps (taken mostly from the Vista help)

Add an input language

1. In the control panel, open Regional and Language Options.

2. Click the Keyboards and Languages tab, and then click Change keyboards.

3. Under Installed services, click Add.

4. Double-click the language you want to add, double-click the text services
you want to add, select the text services options you want to add, and then
click OK.
(For example, you can add both the keyboard and the speech recognition for
most languages. When you expand Keyboard to add an installed service, you
might have several options like QWERY or Dvorak or Ergonomic.)

TIP: after you check the box for many of the keyboard layouts, you can
click the Preview button to see the basic keyboard laout. It doesn't seem to
show what happens when you press Shift, though. Another way to see many of
the keyboard layouts is to look on Wikipedia.

After you have added more installed services, you can pick which is the
default language in the "Default input language" drop down box.

If you click the tab for Language Bar, you can tell Vista to display the
langauge bar on your taskbar or have it float onyour desktop. The language
bar will let you change keyboard layouts on the fly. For example, I could be
typing a letter in English to my dad and then change to the ES-Mexico
keyboard layout to type a letter to my cousin in Spanish. On the tab for
Advanced Key Settings, you can also assign hotkeys to change between
keyboard layouts.

I"m not really sure what you are describing with regards to your control
key.

--

"celticsaga" <celticsaga.38ol4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:celticsaga.38ol4e@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> thank you for responding!
>
> i checked the regional and language option and they are still set to
> indonesia (where i am now, and where i bought the laptop). so i think
> nobody mess up with it (i think).
>
> however, i did change the language bar from indonesian to english (UK).
> does that effect the computer too?
>
> i ask this problem to a friend of mine and he said:
> 1. the symbol mix-up is probably because of computer virus. but i
> checked it using Norman virus scan and no virus is detected; and no
> threat detected to using the windows defender.
> 2. the keyboard shortcut problem is probably because of a computer
> glitch that happened during shutting down the computer. and to fix it is
> to go to the command prompt (i think he said something like that). but
> i've no understanding of the how to get to it (just thinking about it
> makes me sweat).
>
> any suggestion or instruction?
>
> thanks
>

> --
> celticsaga

Location: indonesia
celticsaga is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thank you!
i follow the steps you gave me and problem #1 is solved! it's a matter of lost in translation..err, typing XD

still having trouble with problem #2, though (sniff :'< )

thanks again!!
troutfly

RE: keyboard confusion!