Closing laptop lid during Shutdown sends it to Sleep

NickH

Closing laptop lid during Shutdown sends it to Sleep
If I press the power button on my laptop to start shutdown, and then close
the lid, Vista will ignore the fact that it's shutting down and go to Sleep.
Then when I open the lid later, it wakes up and finishes shutting down! Has
anybody else noticed this? It would be much better if it just carried on
shutting down.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
Quaoar

Re: Closing laptop lid during Shutdown sends it to Sleep
NickH wrote:
> If I press the power button on my laptop to start shutdown, and then close
> the lid, Vista will ignore the fact that it's shutting down and go to Sleep.
> Then when I open the lid later, it wakes up and finishes shutting down! Has
> anybody else noticed this? It would be much better if it just carried on
> shutting down.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

Don't close the lid.

Gary Mount

Re: Closing laptop lid during Shutdown sends it to Sleep
You could change the setting on what happens when you close the lid. Or give
the laptop more time to get further into the shutdown before closing the
lid.
Have you thought about using Hibernate instead of shutdown?

"NickH" <NickH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I press the power button on my laptop to start shutdown, and then close
> the lid, Vista will ignore the fact that it's shutting down and go to
> Sleep.
> Then when I open the lid later, it wakes up and finishes shutting down!
> Has
> anybody else noticed this? It would be much better if it just carried on
> shutting down.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

roy69

Re: Closing laptop lid during Shutdown sends it to Sleep

Most laptops are designed to go into sleep when the lid is closed. Go
into your power options to change what effect closing the lid has. If
your laptop has vents above the keyboard then leave the settings as they
are, just dont close the lid as was said by Quaoar or wait until your
laptop has shut down.

--
roy69

- Core 2 Quad Q6600
- Abit IP35 Pro
- 4 x 1GB OcUK PC2-6400 C5 800 MHZ Dual Channel
- Leadtek GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3
- CiBox TFT 22" Widescreen LCD Panel. 1680 x 1050
- Creative X-Fi 7.1 PCI-E
- Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
- Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
- Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU