all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow

mrulrich

all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow
cruising along without any obvious incident to cause this problem....

Suddenly my display has a big shadow going to the right on everything.
I tried the obvious...turning on and off the monitor and turning off
the computer, but still there. any thoughts, PLEASE??
ribeiro

Re: all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow

Hi mrulrich,

Does your pc keeps working regular? Is it just the screen half covered
by that shadow? Is it random, is it colourfull? Like playing green,
read, yellow and blue? Does it react when you touch the screen with your
hand or fingers?
What┤s like the monitor? CTR (box one), LCD (flat screen one)?

Cheers - ribeiro

--
ribeiro
Malke

mrulrich wrote:

> cruising along without any obvious incident to cause this problem....
>
> Suddenly my display has a big shadow going to the right on everything.
> I tried the obvious...turning on and off the monitor and turning off
> the computer, but still there. any thoughts, PLEASE??

You haven't given us enough information to help you. We don't even know if
you have a CRT or LCD monitor or if you have a desktop or a laptop.

Assuming you have a desktop computer, attach it to a different monitor. If
the problem is gone, then replace your original monitor as it is dying. If
the problem follows you to a different monitor, uninstall your video card
and swap it out for a known-working one. If that solves the problem, you
know your original video card is dying.

If you need more help, post back with more details, remembering that we
can't see your computer/monitor from here so you need to be descriptive.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Rick Rogers

Re: all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow
Hi,

Have you checked the monitor controls?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"mrulrich" <none@000.com> wrote in message
news:217498_ccb58ff522f524df20585f054ddf5e64@0000. com...
> cruising along without any obvious incident to cause this problem....
>
> Suddenly my display has a big shadow going to the right on everything.
> I tried the obvious...turning on and off the monitor and turning off
> the computer, but still there. any thoughts, PLEASE??

Its Personal

Re: all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow
Also what operating system are you using (XP, VISTA, MAC) If you are
using VISTA and the Windows Sidebar this creates a shadow on the
screen.

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:22:04 GMT, mrulrich <none@000.com> wrote:

>cruising along without any obvious incident to cause this problem....
>
>Suddenly my display has a big shadow going to the right on everything.
> I tried the obvious...turning on and off the monitor and turning off
>the computer, but still there. any thoughts, PLEASE??

Donald L McDaniel

Re: all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:05:05 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>mrulrich wrote:
>
>> cruising along without any obvious incident to cause this problem....
>>
>> Suddenly my display has a big shadow going to the right on everything.
>> I tried the obvious...turning on and off the monitor and turning off
>> the computer, but still there. any thoughts, PLEASE??

>You haven't given us enough information to help you. We don't even know if
>you have a CRT or LCD monitor or if you have a desktop or a laptop.
>
>Assuming you have a desktop computer, attach it to a different monitor. If
>the problem is gone, then replace your original monitor as it is dying. If
>the problem follows you to a different monitor, uninstall your video card
>and swap it out for a known-working one. If that solves the problem, you
>know your original video card is dying.
>
>If you need more help, post back with more details, remembering that we
>can't see your computer/monitor from here so you need to be descriptive.
>
>Malke

Why aren't you asking yourself if YOU have moved something in your
room or on your desk where you have your computer which would cause a
shadow on the display? Have you perhaps turned on a lamp or other
lightsource recently which is providing light coming from the LEFT of
the display?

As far as I know, LCDs do not have the problem with "burn-in" which
CRTs or Plasmas do.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the correct thread and article.
Donald L McDaniel

Re: all of a sudden my monitor has a big shadow
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:17:39 -0500, Its Personal <dom46@nowhere.com>
wrote:

>Also what operating system are you using (XP, VISTA, MAC) If you are
>using VISTA and the Windows Sidebar this creates a shadow on the
>screen.

Actually, neither Vista nor the Sidebar "create a shadow" on the
screen, since the image on the screen is TWO-DIMENSIONAL.

ANY "shadows" on such a surface are being caused by OUTSIDE light
sources, not the image itself.

Come on, man, use a little common-sense?

Or try to explain your problem using a different word than "shadow"?

Donald L McDaniel wrote:

> Why aren't you asking yourself if YOU have moved something in your
> room or on your desk where you have your computer which would cause a
> shadow on the display? Have you perhaps turned on a lamp or other
> lightsource recently which is providing light coming from the LEFT of
> the display?

Because I'm not the OP and therefore am not the one with the problem.

Malke

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 17:34:19 -0700, Malke <malke@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Donald L McDaniel wrote:
>
>> Why aren't you asking yourself if YOU have moved something in your
>> room or on your desk where you have your computer which would cause a
>> shadow on the display? Have you perhaps turned on a lamp or other
>> lightsource recently which is providing light coming from the LEFT of
>> the display?

>Because I'm not the OP and therefore am not the one with the problem.
>
>Malke

Sorry, sir. I just noticed that I did respond to the wrong post.
Probably, I got interested in your response, and moved the selection
to your post.