Monitor Driver

Jim G

Monitor Driver
I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for this
Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I contacted
Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with my video card
(Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with Vista and to remove
it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not right as 1680x1050 is the
default but is not an option. Does anyone know where I can get even an Xp
driver to try to install for this monitor. My text and fonts look terrible
and I have even tried to manually change the monitor to a Lcd from within
windows but that has not helped.

Thanks
Jim

Cal Bear '66

Re: Monitor Driver
I have the same monitor (FPD2185W) also recognized in Device Manager as
a Generic PnP monitor, and I have a nVidia 7600 GS video card, no problem
here with getting 1680X1050 resolution. The nVidia control panel correctly
identifies the monitor as a "Gateway FPD2185W" monitor with NO monitor
"driver" installed. (Using nVidia 101.41 driver.)

This is definitely a problem with the nVidia driver -- do NOT worry about a
monitor "driver".

Are the 6XXX series supported for Vista? (I have read that they are not
supported).

"Jim G" <jgragoNO_SPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
>recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
> set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for this
> Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I contacted
> Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with my video
> card (Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with Vista and to
> remove it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not right as 1680x1050
> is the default but is not an option. Does anyone know where I can get even
> an Xp driver to try to install for this monitor. My text and fonts look
> terrible and I have even tried to manually change the monitor to a Lcd
> from within windows but that has not helped.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

JW

Re: Monitor Driver
Monitors do not have drivers the only have .inf files which contain a line
or two of text describing their native resolution.
Using the VISTA RTM release you should be able to able to use show all modes
or custom resolutins to tell NVIDIA the native resolution of your monitor
flat panel 1680x1050 monitor. If not then use the latest NVIDIA Vista
drivers and wait till NVIDIA have completed the ability to use custom
resolutions with them which may be another month or so.

"Jim G" <jgragoNO_SPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
>recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
> set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for this
> Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I contacted
> Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with my video
> card (Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with Vista and to
> remove it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not right as 1680x1050
> is the default but is not an option. Does anyone know where I can get even
> an Xp driver to try to install for this monitor. My text and fonts look
> terrible and I have even tried to manually change the monitor to a Lcd
> from within windows but that has not helped.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

dev

Re: Monitor Driver
/Jim G/ said:
> I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
> recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
> set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for this
> Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I contacted
> Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with my video card
> (Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with Vista and to remove
> it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not right as 1680x1050 is the
> default but is not an option. Does anyone know where I can get even an Xp
> driver to try to install for this monitor. My text and fonts look terrible
> and I have even tried to manually change the monitor to a Lcd from within
> windows but that has not helped.

Try this driver for your NVideo 6600 video adapter...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html

Newer drivers likely will not install. You probably don't need the
features that the they provide - until a system upgrade in the future.

Here, using an even less capable NVidia 5200 card, 1680X1050 works fine
in digital mode with a 22" monitor. I am not a gamer.
=?Utf-8?B?TWljaw==?=

RE: Monitor Driver
Nvidia has a lot of issues with vista. An XP driver will not help you in Vista.
Mick

"Jim G" wrote:

> I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
> recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
> set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for this
> Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I contacted
> Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with my video card
> (Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with Vista and to remove
> it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not right as 1680x1050 is the
> default but is not an option. Does anyone know where I can get even an Xp
> driver to try to install for this monitor. My text and fonts look terrible
> and I have even tried to manually change the monitor to a Lcd from within
> windows but that has not helped.
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Jim G

Re: Monitor Driver
Thanks for the reply. Any idea which inf file it is and where its located? I
am about to the point of going and buying a new video card.

Thanks
Jim

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Monitors do not have drivers the only have .inf files which contain a line
> or two of text describing their native resolution.
> Using the VISTA RTM release you should be able to able to use show all
> modes or custom resolutins to tell NVIDIA the native resolution of your
> monitor flat panel 1680x1050 monitor. If not then use the latest NVIDIA
> Vista drivers and wait till NVIDIA have completed the ability to use
> custom resolutions with them which may be another month or so.
>
> "Jim G" <jgragoNO_SPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
>>recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
>> set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for
>> this Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I
>> contacted Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with
>> my video card (Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with
>> Vista and to remove it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not
>> right as 1680x1050 is the default but is not an option. Does anyone know
>> where I can get even an Xp driver to try to install for this monitor. My
>> text and fonts look terrible and I have even tried to manually change the
>> monitor to a Lcd from within windows but that has not helped.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jim

JW

Re: Monitor Driver
It has been years since I worked with display .infs so I can't help in that
area.
Read the info on the latest NVIDIA Vista Beta driver at the following link
and then download and read the Release notes and the Control Panel User's
guide from the same link.
After reading the material download and install the driver if it appears
that it will help if it is not the version you are already using.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_101.41.html

> Thanks for the reply. Any idea which inf file it is and where its located?
> I am about to the point of going and buying a new video card.
>
> Thanks
> Jim
>

> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Monitors do not have drivers the only have .inf files which contain a
>> line or two of text describing their native resolution.
>> Using the VISTA RTM release you should be able to able to use show all
>> modes or custom resolutins to tell NVIDIA the native resolution of your
>> monitor flat panel 1680x1050 monitor. If not then use the latest NVIDIA
>> Vista drivers and wait till NVIDIA have completed the ability to use
>> custom resolutions with them which may be another month or so.
>>
>> "Jim G" <jgragoNO_SPAM@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a Gateway GM5076E Desktop with the FPD2185W R0 21" Lcd Monitor. I
>>>recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I cannot
>>> set a decent screen resolution because there are no Vista drivers for
>>> this Monitor. My monitor is displayed as a Generic PnP Monitor. I
>>> contacted Gateway/Eztune to see if they could help, I was told that with
>>> my video card (Nvidia 6600 series) that Eztune was not compatible with
>>> Vista and to remove it. I can set a 1600x1200 resolution but its not
>>> right as 1680x1050 is the default but is not an option. Does anyone know
>>> where I can get even an Xp driver to try to install for this monitor. My
>>> text and fonts look terrible and I have even tried to manually change
>>> the monitor to a Lcd from within windows but that has not helped.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Jim