RAM/SLi mismatching?

BigEasy18

RAM/SLi mismatching?

I'm looking into upgrading my ram, and in the future my graphics card.
I have G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
right now and am wondering if adding in G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin
DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) will work with no problems.

While on the subject i would like to put my MSI 8800 Ultra in SLi mode
someday soon and since I can't seem to find anyone that sells Ultra's
anymore, will a 8800 GTX O'C work if it's frequency matches my Ultra?

Thanks in advanced and great site.

--
BigEasy18

*'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
msi 8800 ultra
windows vista x64 sp1*
Colin Barnhorst

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?
Depending on your mobo 8GB of ram may not work. Support for that much ram
is shaky on a lot of consumer mobos. Don't try it without a definitive
answer from the manufacturer of your mobo. nVidia chipsets seem prone to
not being able to handle 4 sticks of PC 6400 ram and some users have had to
dial back the dram speed to 667 to get it to work.

You don't say much about your system and I assume that you are using a 64bit
OS.

"BigEasy18" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm looking into upgrading my ram, and in the future my graphics card.
> I have G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> right now and am wondering if adding in G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin
> DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) will work with no problems.
>
> While on the subject i would like to put my MSI 8800 Ultra in SLi mode
> someday soon and since I can't seem to find anyone that sells Ultra's
> anymore, will a 8800 GTX O'C work if it's frequency matches my Ultra?
>
> Thanks in advanced and great site.
>

> --
> BigEasy18
>
> *'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
> http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
> (http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
> msi 8800 ultra
> windows vista x64 sp1*

BigEasy18

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?

I have the ASUS CROSSHAIR which supports 8gb or ram and up to 2.9v for
each DIMM and I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.
I had never heard of issues with multiple 6400.

--
BigEasy18

*'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
msi 8800 ultra
windows vista x64 sp1*
Colin Barnhorst

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?
The issues have been discussed in many forums for a couple of years and in
this newsgroup in particular many many times. Do a search on this newsgroup
on "4GB" and "8GB".

You need to check the test reports on the manufacturer's website. The specs
are not always definitive with 64-bit operating systems. You will find many
cases where there are test reports for various brands of ram but no test
reports using a fully populated memory configuration. I learned the hard
way what that meant.

> I have the ASUS CROSSHAIR which supports 8gb or ram and up to 2.9v for
> each DIMM and I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.
> I had never heard of issues with multiple 6400.
>

> --
> BigEasy18
>
> *'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
> http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
> (http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
> msi 8800 ultra
> windows vista x64 sp1*

Jon Pope

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?

You missed 1 point he said that he wanted to run SLI on a amd CROSSFIRE MB.
Not going to work

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> The issues have been discussed in many forums for a couple of years and in
> this newsgroup in particular many many times. Do a search on this
> newsgroup on "4GB" and "8GB".
>
> You need to check the test reports on the manufacturer's website. The
> specs are not always definitive with 64-bit operating systems. You will
> find many cases where there are test reports for various brands of ram but
> no test reports using a fully populated memory configuration. I learned
> the hard way what that meant.
>
> "BigEasy18" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have the ASUS CROSSHAIR which supports 8gb or ram and up to 2.9v for
>> each DIMM and I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.
>> I had never heard of issues with multiple 6400.
>>

>> --
>> BigEasy18
>>
>> *'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
>> http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
>> (http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
>> msi 8800 ultra
>> windows vista x64 sp1*

Colin Barnhorst

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?
Good catch.

"Jon Pope" <mrjonpope@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You missed 1 point he said that he wanted to run SLI on a amd CROSSFIRE
> MB. Not going to work
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The issues have been discussed in many forums for a couple of years and
>> in this newsgroup in particular many many times. Do a search on this
>> newsgroup on "4GB" and "8GB".
>>
>> You need to check the test reports on the manufacturer's website. The
>> specs are not always definitive with 64-bit operating systems. You will
>> find many cases where there are test reports for various brands of ram
>> but no test reports using a fully populated memory configuration. I
>> learned the hard way what that meant.
>>
>> "BigEasy18" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have the ASUS CROSSHAIR which supports 8gb or ram and up to 2.9v for
>>> each DIMM and I am running Vista Ultimate 64bit.
>>> I had never heard of issues with multiple 6400.
>>>

>>> --
>>> BigEasy18
>>>
>>> *'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
>>> http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
>>> (http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
>>> msi 8800 ultra
>>> windows vista x64 sp1*

Chris S.

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?
He said "CROSSHAIR" I have that board. Supports SLI
Chris

> Good catch.
>
> "Jon Pope" <mrjonpope@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You missed 1 point he said that he wanted to run SLI on a amd CROSSFIRE
>> MB. Not going to work
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> The issues have been discussed in many forums for a couple of years and
>>> in this newsgroup in particular many many times. Do a search on this
>>> newsgroup on "4GB" and "8GB".
>>>
>>> You need to check the test reports on the manufacturer's website. The
>>> specs are not always definitive with 64-bit operating systems. You will
>>> find many cases where there are test reports for various brands of ram
>>> but no test reports using a fully populated memory configuration. I
>>> learned the hard way what that meant.

BigEasy18

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?

It's the CROSSHAIR: 'CrossHair Motherboard (Asus-CROSSHAIR) - Compare
Prices | Tom's Hardware'
(http://stores.tomshardware.com/searc...st=product_tab)
It has 2 PCI-E x16 slots but i'm wondering if the two gpu's need to be
exact matches inorder to work or can they have the same frequencies just
different models [8800GTX(overclocked) with a 8800Ultra(stock)]

--
BigEasy18

*'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png)
msi 8800 ultra
windows vista x64 sp1*
Colin Barnhorst

Re: RAM/SLi mismatching?
From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface
"Cards from two separate retail companies will work together in SLI mode,
but they must be the same GPU model (e.g. G70, G73, G80, etc). The cards may
have different BIOS revisions, different default clock speeds, or even
different memory sizes. However, the fastest card - or the card with more
memory - will run at the speed of the slower card or disable its additional
memory."

> It's the CROSSHAIR: 'CrossHair Motherboard (Asus-CROSSHAIR) - Compare
> Prices | Tom's Hardware'
> (http://stores.tomshardware.com/searc...st=product_tab)
> It has 2 PCI-E x16 slots but i'm wondering if the two gpu's need to be
> exact matches inorder to work or can they have the same frequencies just
> different models [8800GTX(overclocked) with a 8800Ultra(stock)]
>

> --
> BigEasy18
>
> *'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=345688)'[image:
> http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/345688.png]'