Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008):


http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false


Add/Fix
1.) Driver :
1. Fix DTM 1.2 KS topology test fail issue.
2. Customizations.


NOTE: There is now a disclaimer before you can download the drivers that it is
best to obtain new drivers from your computer/motherboard manufacturer since
they may have made customizations to their hardware; although, I personally have
never had a problem with the drivers downloaded directly from the Realtek site.


I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
peter c.a.hawkins
 

Posts: n/a
RE: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
Hello ,Are you finding that the HD icon does not load in the taskbar?



"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008):
>
>
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
>
>
> Add/Fix
> 1.) Driver :
> 1. Fix DTM 1.2 KS topology test fail issue.
> 2. Customizations.
>
>
> NOTE: There is now a disclaimer before you can download the drivers that it is
> best to obtain new drivers from your computer/motherboard manufacturer since
> they may have made customizations to their hardware; although, I personally have
> never had a problem with the drivers downloaded directly from the Realtek site.
>
>
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
Cal Bear '66
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
No, the Realtek HD Audio Manager red speaker icon always seems to load on every
reboot here.


I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!


"peter c.a.hawkins" <petercahawkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1F670F27-9654-4930-9567-256D149C328B@microsoft.com...
> Hello ,Are you finding that the HD icon does not load in the taskbar?
>
>
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008):
>>
>>
>> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
>>
>>
>> Add/Fix
>> 1.) Driver :
>> 1. Fix DTM 1.2 KS topology test fail issue.
>> 2. Customizations.
>>
>>
>> NOTE: There is now a disclaimer before you can download the drivers that it
>> is
>> best to obtain new drivers from your computer/motherboard manufacturer since
>> they may have made customizations to their hardware; although, I personally
>> have
>> never had a problem with the drivers downloaded directly from the Realtek
>> site.
>>
>>
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
And now, for the bad news:

> Realtek HD Audio Codec Drivers (Vista) - Local Privilege Escalation
>
>
> :: Non-Technical Description
>
> Realtek HD Audio Codec Drivers are prone to a local privilege escalation due to insufficient validation of user-mode buffers. Successful exploitation grants SYSTEM privileges to authenticated users, no special privileges are required to exploit the flaw.
>
> A malicious attacker can take advantage of these flaws to elevate privileges in the following forms:
>
> 1. Creating, reading or writing arbitrary registry keys.
> 2. Overwriting arbitrary kernel addresses.
>
>
> :: Files affected
>
> RTKVHDA.sys < 6.0.1.5605 (32-bit) Windows Vista
> RTKVHDA64.sys (signed) < 6.0.1.5605 (64-bit) Windows Vista
>
> :: Credits
>
> Vulnerability discovered and researched by Ruben Santamarta.
>
> :: Disclosure Timeline
>
> 04/02/2008 - Realtek contacted
> 04/23/2008 - Flaw fixed. Public Disclosure.
>
> :: Technical details - Original Advisory
>
> http://www.wintercore.com/advisories...y_W010408.html
>


RTKVHDA.sys and RTKVHDA64.sys V.6.0.1.5605 are in that updated driver
package. Did they post a Disclaimer for the vulnerability ?

Caveat emptor !

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



Cal Bear '66 wrote:

> New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008):
>
>
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
>
>
> Add/Fix
> 1.) Driver :
> 1. Fix DTM 1.2 KS topology test fail issue.
> 2. Customizations.
>
>
> NOTE: There is now a disclaimer before you can download the drivers that it is
> best to obtain new drivers from your computer/motherboard manufacturer since
> they may have made customizations to their hardware; although, I personally have
> never had a problem with the drivers downloaded directly from the Realtek site.
>
>
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-23-2008
peter c.a.hawkins
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
How strange,mine will not load .it only appears if i click on hd manager in
the control panel.not to worry.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> No, the Realtek HD Audio Manager red speaker icon always seems to load on every
> reboot here.
>
>
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>
>
> "peter c.a.hawkins" <petercahawkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1F670F27-9654-4930-9567-256D149C328B@microsoft.com...
> > Hello ,Are you finding that the HD icon does not load in the taskbar?
> >
> >
> >
> > "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
> >
> >> New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008):
> >>
> >>
> >> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
> >>
> >>
> >> Add/Fix
> >> 1.) Driver :
> >> 1. Fix DTM 1.2 KS topology test fail issue.
> >> 2. Customizations.
> >>
> >>
> >> NOTE: There is now a disclaimer before you can download the drivers that it
> >> is
> >> best to obtain new drivers from your computer/motherboard manufacturer since
> >> they may have made customizations to their hardware; although, I personally
> >> have
> >> never had a problem with the drivers downloaded directly from the Realtek
> >> site.
> >>
> >>
> >> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> >> GO BEARS!
> >>
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2008
TomV
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
Hi, Mow,

I'm reading the wintercore site as indicating the versions prior to this
release are vulnerable. If you look in #6 Products Affected, they're
using the symbol less than (<) before the release number. I'm assuming
6.01.5605 is the fixed release.

Tom

MowGreen [MVP] wrote:
> And now, for the bad news:
>
>> Realtek HD Audio Codec Drivers (Vista) - Local Privilege Escalation
>>
>>
>> :: Non-Technical Description
>>
>> Realtek HD Audio Codec Drivers are prone to a local privilege
>> escalation due to insufficient validation of user-mode buffers.
>> Successful exploitation grants SYSTEM privileges to authenticated
>> users, no special privileges are required to exploit the flaw.
>>
>> A malicious attacker can take advantage of these flaws to elevate
>> privileges in the following forms:
>>
>> 1. Creating, reading or writing arbitrary registry keys.
>> 2. Overwriting arbitrary kernel addresses.
>>
>>
>> :: Files affected
>>
>> RTKVHDA.sys < 6.0.1.5605 (32-bit) Windows Vista
>> RTKVHDA64.sys (signed) < 6.0.1.5605 (64-bit) Windows Vista
>>
>> :: Credits
>>
>> Vulnerability discovered and researched by Ruben Santamarta.
>>
>> :: Disclosure Timeline
>>
>> 04/02/2008 - Realtek contacted
>> 04/23/2008 - Flaw fixed. Public Disclosure.
>>
>> :: Technical details - Original Advisory
>>
>> http://www.wintercore.com/advisories...y_W010408.html
>>

>
> RTKVHDA.sys and RTKVHDA64.sys V.6.0.1.5605 are in that updated driver
> package. Did they post a Disclaimer for the vulnerability ?
>
> Caveat emptor !
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2008
MowGreen [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
You are correct, Tom. That bracket does indicate lesser versions of the
drivers for Vista are vulnerable :

> 04/02/2008 - Realtek contacted
>
> 04/23/2008 - Flaw fixed. Public Disclosure.



The Public Disclosure was one day after Realtek put out the latest
drivers. So, if anyone is reading this and has the *older, vulnerable*
versions installed ... go get them here:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false

Cal Bear '66 to the rescue ... away.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



TomV wrote:

> Hi, Mow,
>
> I'm reading the wintercore site as indicating the versions prior to this
> release are vulnerable. If you look in #6 Products Affected, they're
> using the symbol less than (<) before the release number. I'm assuming
> 6.01.5605 is the fixed release.
>
> Tom
>

<snip>
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-24-2008
TomV
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
Check if resetting the icon to display fixes the icon loading. Open the
HD Audio Manager and click the information icon. Toggle the setting
to Display icon in the notification area.

peter c.a.hawkins wrote:
> How strange,mine will not load .it only appears if i click on hd manager in
> the control panel.not to worry.
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> No, the Realtek HD Audio Manager red speaker icon always seems to load on every
>> reboot here.
>>
>>
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2008
DarkSentinel
 

Posts: n/a
Re: New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008)
"MowGreen [MVP]" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
news:#Oaa3cYpIHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> And now, for the bad news:
>
>> Realtek HD Audio Codec Drivers (Vista) - Local Privilege Escalation
>>
>>
>> :: Non-Technical Description
>>
>> Realtek HD Audio Codec Drivers are prone to a local privilege escalation
>> due to insufficient validation of user-mode buffers. Successful
>> exploitation grants SYSTEM privileges to authenticated users, no special
>> privileges are required to exploit the flaw.
>>
>> A malicious attacker can take advantage of these flaws to elevate
>> privileges in the following forms:
>>
>> 1. Creating, reading or writing arbitrary registry keys.
>> 2. Overwriting arbitrary kernel addresses.
>>
>>
>> :: Files affected
>>
>> RTKVHDA.sys < 6.0.1.5605 (32-bit) Windows Vista
>> RTKVHDA64.sys (signed) < 6.0.1.5605 (64-bit) Windows Vista
>>
>> :: Credits
>>
>> Vulnerability discovered and researched by Ruben Santamarta.
>>
>> :: Disclosure Timeline
>>
>> 04/02/2008 - Realtek contacted
>> 04/23/2008 - Flaw fixed. Public Disclosure.
>>
>> :: Technical details - Original Advisory
>>
>> http://www.wintercore.com/advisories...y_W010408.html
>>

>
> RTKVHDA.sys and RTKVHDA64.sys V.6.0.1.5605 are in that updated driver
> package. Did they post a Disclaimer for the vulnerability ?
>
> Caveat emptor !


While not related to this particular issue, there are a couple of other
issues to be aware of here too. Loading Logitech's SetPoint software will
sometimes break the driver. A driver reinstall will fix this issue. Also,
for those that run SAM Broadcaster, the last version of the Realtek drivers
will sometimes kill the output. SAM must be completely uninstalled, and
reinstalled from scratch. Would pretty much advise that unless the update
fixes issues that are currently being experienced to stay with what is
working.

--
Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
http://www.lockergnome.com/darksentinel
Undo the munge to reply by email

> Cal Bear '66 wrote:
>
>> New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008):
>>
>>
>> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
>>
>>
>> Add/Fix
>> 1.) Driver :
>> 1. Fix DTM 1.2 KS topology test fail issue.
>> 2. Customizations.
>>
>>
>> NOTE: There is now a disclaimer before you can download the drivers
>> that it is best to obtain new drivers from your computer/motherboard
>> manufacturer since they may have made customizations to their hardware;
>> although, I personally have never had a problem with the drivers
>> downloaded directly from the Realtek site.
>>
>>
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>
>>
>>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.91 22 April 2008) Cal Bear '66 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 04-25-2008 10:26
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.85 dated 21 January 2008) Cal Bear '66 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 01-30-2008 08:30
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.85 dated 21 January 2008) Cal Bear '66 microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 01-30-2008 08:30
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.85 dated 21 January 2008) Cal Bear '66 microsoft.public.windows.vista.music pictures video 4 01-30-2008 08:30
New Realtek HD Audio Drivers (ver. 1.85 dated 21 January 2008) Cal Bear '66 microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 4 01-30-2008 08:30




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:14.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120