battery plugged in, not charging

jennifer b

battery plugged in, not charging
I am currently using a laptop that is approx one year old - it's a toshiba
tecra A6. It belonged to a friend and I have only received it recently, so I
do not know its history. When I hover above the 'power plan' icon on the
bottom toolbar, it says "0% available, (plugged in, not charging)" and,
accordingly, cannot run the computer on battery power. Is this definitely a
problem with the computer's battery, despite it being only one year old?
--
jennifer b
Malke

Re: battery plugged in, not charging
jennifer b wrote:

> I am currently using a laptop that is approx one year old - it's a toshiba
> tecra A6. It belonged to a friend and I have only received it recently, so
> I do not know its history. When I hover above the 'power plan' icon on the
> bottom toolbar, it says "0% available, (plugged in, not charging)" and,
> accordingly, cannot run the computer on battery power. Is this definitely
> a problem with the computer's battery, despite it being only one year old?

It could be a problem with:

1. The laptop's battery
2. The laptop's AC adapter
3. The charger component on the laptop's motherboard

Contact Toshiba tech support for repair/replacement.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Jack J

RE: battery plugged in, not charging
I am having the same problem (less than 1yr) at 47%
I just got my 5th tooth out!
diana

Re: battery plugged in, not charging
So would this also be true if it does charge as long as the lid is down?
Toshiba laptop as well. Seems like it might be a setting in Windows that
when it is open, don't charge but closed charge??

"Malke" wrote:

> jennifer b wrote:
>
> > I am currently using a laptop that is approx one year old - it's a toshiba
> > tecra A6. It belonged to a friend and I have only received it recently, so
> > I do not know its history. When I hover above the 'power plan' icon on the
> > bottom toolbar, it says "0% available, (plugged in, not charging)" and,
> > accordingly, cannot run the computer on battery power. Is this definitely
> > a problem with the computer's battery, despite it being only one year old?

> It could be a problem with:
>
> 1. The laptop's battery
> 2. The laptop's AC adapter
> 3. The charger component on the laptop's motherboard
>
> Contact Toshiba tech support for repair/replacement.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Free2liv4evr

Re: battery plugged in, not charging

I just had that exact same problem. I was stuck at 11% and I would
unplug and plug back in. So, I did what I had to do: mess with my
precious laptop ;_; Just kidding. I went to the HP site or'
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01174488&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&prod uct=3806991&os=2100&rule=6701〈=en'
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...e=6701&lang=en)

My battery is now charging. As I type, it went from 11% to 32% and it
is plugged in and charging. Says so. So! I hope this solves your problem
too. Downloading BIOS files are overrated....Kidding.

For easy access, I'll just use the ol' copy paste method.

- Click *Start* and type
device in the search field, then select
*Device Manager* .
- Expand the *Batteries*
category.
- Under the Batteries category, right-click the
*Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery*
listing, and select *Uninstall* .

*WARNING: *
Do not remove the Microsoft AC
Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
- On the Device Manager taskbar, click
*Scan for hardware changes *[image:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA...c01176420.gif] .
Alternately, select *Action > Scan for hardware
changes* .

Windows will scan your computer for hardware that
doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to
manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the
battery is charging.

--
Free2liv4evr
90tbird

Free2liv4evr;1027931 Wrote:
> I just had that exact same problem. I was stuck at 11% and I would
> unplug and plug back in. So, I did what I had to do: mess with my
> precious laptop ;_; Just kidding. I went to the HP site or'
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01174488&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&prod uct=3806991&os=2100&rule=6701〈=en'
> (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...e=6701&lang=en)
>
> My battery is now charging. As I type, it went from 11% to 32% and it is
> plugged in and charging. Says so. So! I hope this solves your problem
> too. Downloading BIOS files are overrated....Kidding.
>
> For easy access, I'll just use the ol' copy paste method.

- Click *Start* and type
> device in the search field, then select
> *Device Manager* .

- Expand the *Batteries*
> category.

- Under the Batteries category, right-click the
> *Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method
> Battery* listing, and select *Uninstall* .
>

> *WARNING: *
> Do not remove the
> Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.

- On the Device Manager taskbar, click
> *Scan for hardware changes *[image:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA...c01176420.gif] .
> Alternately, select *Action > Scan for hardware
> changes* .
> > >

> Windows will scan your computer for hardware that
> doesn't have drivers installed, and will install the drivers needed to
> manage your battery's power. The notebook should now indicate that the
> battery is charging.

I tried this proceedure and initially the same result battery plugged in
and not charging at 48%. So I tried this method again but with a few
changes which worked:

With the laptop on and AC power cord plugged in, remove the battery (you
may have to gently tilt the laptop up or on its side), then use the
device manager to uninstall the drivers (as originally instructed).
Wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Replace the battery, and return the
laptop to an upright position. Use the device manager to scan for new
hardware and reinstall the drivers (as originally instructed). After
completing these step my battery tray icon indicated Battery Fully
Charged 100%

--
90tbird