BSOD with WLAN adapter (Lutec WLA-54L, Atheros AR5007UG) hardware devices

Fabian Schmied

BSOD with WLAN adapter (Lutec WLA-54L, Atheros AR5007UG)
Hi everyone!

I've got a problem with a Lutec WLA-54L USB WLAN adapter on Vista Home
Premium 32-bit (no SP 1 yet), which I thought maybe one of you could give me
some advice on. Here's the issue: Since buying and installing the adapter,
Vista regularly crashes with blue screens (STOP errors) at varying intervals.
Sometimes, it crashes several times an hour, then again it doesn't crash at
all for a few hours. It seems to be related to browsing the Internet, and
it's definitely caused by the WLAN adapter.

Windows error reporting usually doesn't find any solution to the problem,
although once it displayed a message indicating that the problem would be
fixed in a future version of Windows Vista. This led me to believe that the
problem might be fixed with SP 1, however Windows Update chooses not to show
SP 1, and I'm reluctant to force a manual installation.

I've tried to update the drivers for the device (which is displayed in
device manager as a "Atheros AR5007UG Wireless Netwok Adapter"), however, the
drivers that came with the adapter (version, dated 2007/01/29) seem
to be up-to-date. At least, they are newer than the drivers on Lutec's
homepage (version, dated 2006/11/30). I removed the newer driver
anyway and installed the one from the home page, still got the same problem.

I've contacted Lutec's support, and they've told me to install the following
(KB893357). However, that update seems to be for XP only, and when I try to
install it on Vista, it reports that there is too little memory. (Physical
memory consumption is actually only 40% of 1 GB, so I believe that this is a
compatibility problem rather than a real memory problem.)

When I reported to Lutec that the patch could not be installed, they
insisted that the update was for both XP and Vista and that I should install
it. If that weren't possible, I should contact Microsoft for help. However, I
don't believe MS support would help me do a Vista installation of an update
whose description only lists XP as a supported system, so I decided to ask
here first, as maybe someone has experienced a similar issue...

So, what do you think:
- Is that patch really suitable for Vista and I should try to get it to
install on my system somehow? Maybe even call MS support for that?
- Would a forced SP 1 installation be a good idea, maybe even remedy the

Or has anyone got any other tip about how to tackle this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Re: BSOD with WLAN adapter (Lutec WLA-54L, Atheros AR5007UG)

I've the same problem. Did you find a solution?

mattia.pascal's Profile:
View this thread:

Fabian Schmied

Re: BSOD with WLAN adapter (Lutec WLA-54L, Atheros AR5007UG)
> I've the same problem. Did you find a solution?

I returned the Lutec adapter and bought one from a different company.