SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager

bbsrnitrkl

SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager

I am trying bring-up a new SATA Hard Drive through PCIe to SATA AHCI Host
Card.

We find that Vista recognized the AHCI Controller and it shows up in the
Device Manager. It successfully allocates the memory and IRQ, and says that
the Device is working properly.

But the HDD is not recognized. When we look at the PCIe analyser, we see
that the OS is continuously polling the AHCI Interrupt Status Register (Addr:
0x08). This register is reading 0x0 all the time.

Any help on this is appreciated. Is there any way to find out the flow to
find a device.

DL

Re: SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager
When you boot up is there a card bios keyboard shortcut, that you have to
select in order to initialise the sata disk?
The card manufacturers help file should explain, and also detail whether any
specif drivers are required

"bbsrnitrkl" <bbsrnitrkl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am trying bring-up a new SATA Hard Drive through PCIe to SATA AHCI Host
> Card.
>
> We find that Vista recognized the AHCI Controller and it shows up in the
> Device Manager. It successfully allocates the memory and IRQ, and says
> that
> the Device is working properly.
>
> But the HDD is not recognized. When we look at the PCIe analyser, we see
> that the OS is continuously polling the AHCI Interrupt Status Register
> (Addr:
> 0x08). This register is reading 0x0 all the time.
>
> Any help on this is appreciated. Is there any way to find out the flow to
> find a device.

bbsrnitrkl

Re: SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager
Actually, we are trying to bring-up a PCIe to SATA AHCI Card, and we dont
have the driver for the card. We expect the native AHCI drive of VISTA should
take care of it. We wanted to understand the steps that VISTA does across
PCIe interface to recognize the SATA HDD. How do we get any documentation on
the steps that VISTA performs?

"DL" wrote:

> When you boot up is there a card bios keyboard shortcut, that you have to
> select in order to initialise the sata disk?
> The card manufacturers help file should explain, and also detail whether any
> specif drivers are required
>
> "bbsrnitrkl" <bbsrnitrkl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > I am trying bring-up a new SATA Hard Drive through PCIe to SATA AHCI Host
> > Card.
> >
> > We find that Vista recognized the AHCI Controller and it shows up in the
> > Device Manager. It successfully allocates the memory and IRQ, and says
> > that
> > the Device is working properly.
> >
> > But the HDD is not recognized. When we look at the PCIe analyser, we see
> > that the OS is continuously polling the AHCI Interrupt Status Register
> > (Addr:
> > 0x08). This register is reading 0x0 all the time.
> >
> > Any help on this is appreciated. Is there any way to find out the flow to
> > find a device.

DL

Re: SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager
What is the make/model of this card?

> Actually, we are trying to bring-up a PCIe to SATA AHCI Card, and we dont
> have the driver for the card. We expect the native AHCI drive of VISTA
> should
> take care of it. We wanted to understand the steps that VISTA does across
> PCIe interface to recognize the SATA HDD. How do we get any documentation
> on
> the steps that VISTA performs?
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>> When you boot up is there a card bios keyboard shortcut, that you have to
>> select in order to initialise the sata disk?
>> The card manufacturers help file should explain, and also detail whether
>> any
>> specif drivers are required
>>
>> "bbsrnitrkl" <bbsrnitrkl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > I am trying bring-up a new SATA Hard Drive through PCIe to SATA AHCI
>> > Host
>> > Card.
>> >
>> > We find that Vista recognized the AHCI Controller and it shows up in
>> > the
>> > Device Manager. It successfully allocates the memory and IRQ, and says
>> > that
>> > the Device is working properly.
>> >
>> > But the HDD is not recognized. When we look at the PCIe analyser, we
>> > see
>> > that the OS is continuously polling the AHCI Interrupt Status Register
>> > (Addr:
>> > 0x08). This register is reading 0x0 all the time.
>> >
>> > Any help on this is appreciated. Is there any way to find out the flow
>> > find a device.

bbsrnitrkl

Re: SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager
Actually, this is our own card (hardware). We have not build the driver for
this card as we know that as long as the card is AHCI compliant, we dont need
to build a driver for VISTA. Is my understanding correct here? If yes, please
do have a clue how the AHCI driver in VISTA work. If we understand this part,
then we can probably fix the hardware for the issues.

"DL" wrote:

> What is the make/model of this card?
>
> "bbsrnitrkl" <bbsrnitrkl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, we are trying to bring-up a PCIe to SATA AHCI Card, and we dont
> > have the driver for the card. We expect the native AHCI drive of VISTA
> > should
> > take care of it. We wanted to understand the steps that VISTA does across
> > PCIe interface to recognize the SATA HDD. How do we get any documentation
> > on
> > the steps that VISTA performs?
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >
> >> When you boot up is there a card bios keyboard shortcut, that you have to
> >> select in order to initialise the sata disk?
> >> The card manufacturers help file should explain, and also detail whether
> >> any
> >> specif drivers are required

andy

Re: SATA Hard Drive does NOT show up in Device Manager
What SATA interface chip are you using? It'll probably work if your
interface totally emulates a motherboard chipset SATA interface. Does
the interface work in IDE compatible mode?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:46:01 -0700, bbsrnitrkl