RAID and defrag does not work

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

RAID and defrag does not work
I have recently ugraded XP to Vista Business. I have a RAID-1 with Silicon
Raid drivers. The computer works fine as it used to but I find that the Vista
defrag command in the C-drive properties box does not work, i.e. nothing
happens. I was wondering if defrag does not work because the 2 HDD drives are
set up as RAID-1, or if Vista has a problem? Has anyone done a defragment on
their hard drive under Vista yet?
=?Utf-8?B?REJSQVNDTw==?=

RE: RAID and defrag does not work
I have Vista Ultimate on a Raid 0 Volume and can defrag W/out a problem, but
I have an Intel raid system.

"David" wrote:

> I have recently ugraded XP to Vista Business. I have a RAID-1 with Silicon
> Raid drivers. The computer works fine as it used to but I find that the Vista
> defrag command in the C-drive properties box does not work, i.e. nothing
> happens. I was wondering if defrag does not work because the 2 HDD drives are
> set up as RAID-1, or if Vista has a problem? Has anyone done a defragment on
> their hard drive under Vista yet?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

RE: RAID and defrag does not work
Ok.
So, then, has anyone with a RAID-1 setup done a defrag?

"DBRASCO" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate on a Raid 0 Volume and can defrag W/out a problem, but
> I have an Intel raid system.
>
> "David" wrote:
>
> > I have recently ugraded XP to Vista Business. I have a RAID-1 with Silicon
> > Raid drivers. The computer works fine as it used to but I find that the Vista
> > defrag command in the C-drive properties box does not work, i.e. nothing
> > happens. I was wondering if defrag does not work because the 2 HDD drives are
> > set up as RAID-1, or if Vista has a problem? Has anyone done a defragment on
> > their hard drive under Vista yet?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

RE: RAID and defrag does not work
Actually, I can now answer some of my own question. The Defrag does not work
in Safe-mode. It will work in normal mode. In XP, I always used to do a
Defrag in Safe-mode to prevent constant re-starting of the defrag process.

"David" wrote:

> I have recently ugraded XP to Vista Business. I have a RAID-1 with Silicon
> Raid drivers. The computer works fine as it used to but I find that the Vista
> defrag command in the C-drive properties box does not work, i.e. nothing
> happens. I was wondering if defrag does not work because the 2 HDD drives are
> set up as RAID-1, or if Vista has a problem? Has anyone done a defragment on
> their hard drive under Vista yet?

Nut Cracker

Re: RAID and defrag does not work
yes, but not under VISTA ....

Is your NTFS cluster size larger than 4K ? if yes, you wont be able to use
the provided MS tools.

- NuTs

> Ok.
> So, then, has anyone with a RAID-1 setup done a defrag?
>
> "DBRASCO" wrote:
>
>> I have Vista Ultimate on a Raid 0 Volume and can defrag W/out a problem,
>> but
>> I have an Intel raid system.
>>
>> "David" wrote:
>>
>> > I have recently ugraded XP to Vista Business. I have a RAID-1 with
>> > Silicon
>> > Raid drivers. The computer works fine as it used to but I find that the
>> > Vista
>> > defrag command in the C-drive properties box does not work, i.e.
>> > nothing
>> > happens. I was wondering if defrag does not work because the 2 HDD
>> > drives are
>> > set up as RAID-1, or if Vista has a problem? Has anyone done a
>> > defragment on
>> > their hard drive under Vista yet?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

RE: RAID and defrag does not work
Some further progress. I downloaded both Seagate's 'SeaTools' and Western
Digital's HDD test software. Could not get any of Seagate stuff to work.
Under Vista I just gt 'exception handler' error messages. Under DOS-boot it
could not even see the HDD's. The Western Digital Windows test worked. Did
not find any errors. I also noticed that the HDD S.M.A.R.T. option in my BIOS
was set to 'disbaled' which I have now changed. So far today, no HDD errors
reported by Vista. I still think Vista has its knickers in a knot about this.