Ethernet Hard Drive

NUKZ

Ethernet Hard Drive
Hi,
I was wonder if anyone know a solution for the following problem.
I have a ethernet hard drive and I've never had a problem until using vista
and windows server 2008. both operating systems are unable to browse the
drive, instead it completely crashes explorer.exe. Windows server 2003 & XP
have never had trouble.
Colin Barnhorst

Re: Ethernet Hard Drive
By "ethernet" do you mean a network drive? Or do you mean a drive connected
to the computer with a cable (in which case you probably mean a usb,
firewire, or eSATA drive enclosure)?

"NUKZ" <NUKZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I was wonder if anyone know a solution for the following problem.
> I have a ethernet hard drive and I've never had a problem until using
> vista
> and windows server 2008. both operating systems are unable to browse the
> drive, instead it completely crashes explorer.exe. Windows server 2003 &
> XP
> have never had trouble.

NUKZ

Re: Ethernet Hard Drive
hey Colin,

the drive is a ethernet drive connected via a router. the connection type
is CAT 5 , NOT USB, FIREWIRE and etc. You browse the drive like a std remote
drive.
windows vista/server 2008 crashes whilst browsing the drive e.g

//storage/data/ while under XP/ server 2003 it works perfectly.

although if I know the exact path of file it will open fine e.g.
//storage/data/wordfile.docx under vista/server 2008. The issue is
explore.exe which crash and hangs the computer with trying to browse the
folder e.g. //storage/data/

Any thoughts of why this happening with vista/ server 2008 ?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> By "ethernet" do you mean a network drive? Or do you mean a drive connected
> to the computer with a cable (in which case you probably mean a usb,
> firewire, or eSATA drive enclosure)?
>
> "NUKZ" <NUKZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I was wonder if anyone know a solution for the following problem.
> > I have a ethernet hard drive and I've never had a problem until using
> > vista
> > and windows server 2008. both operating systems are unable to browse the
> > drive, instead it completely crashes explorer.exe. Windows server 2003 &
> > XP
> > have never had trouble.

Kerry Brown

Re: Ethernet Hard Drive
Most network drives use an embedded version of linux with Samba server for
file sharing. Some older versions of Samba are not compatible with the
networking features in Vista/Server 2008. The best solution is to see if
there is a firmware update for the network drive. Failing that try lowering
the authentication level Vista uses.

http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

> hey Colin,
>
> the drive is a ethernet drive connected via a router. the connection type
> is CAT 5 , NOT USB, FIREWIRE and etc. You browse the drive like a std
> remote
> drive.
> windows vista/server 2008 crashes whilst browsing the drive e.g
>
> //storage/data/ while under XP/ server 2003 it works perfectly.
>
> although if I know the exact path of file it will open fine e.g.
> //storage/data/wordfile.docx under vista/server 2008. The issue is
> explore.exe which crash and hangs the computer with trying to browse the
> folder e.g. //storage/data/
>
> Any thoughts of why this happening with vista/ server 2008 ?
>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> By "ethernet" do you mean a network drive? Or do you mean a drive
>> connected
>> to the computer with a cable (in which case you probably mean a usb,
>> firewire, or eSATA drive enclosure)?
>>
>> "NUKZ" <NUKZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I was wonder if anyone know a solution for the following problem.
>> > I have a ethernet hard drive and I've never had a problem until using
>> > vista
>> > and windows server 2008. both operating systems are unable to browse
>> > the
>> > drive, instead it completely crashes explorer.exe. Windows server 2003
>> > &
>> > XP
>> > have never had trouble.

NUKZ

Re: Ethernet Hard Drive
hey Kerry,
thanks for information your lifesaver.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Most network drives use an embedded version of linux with Samba server for
> file sharing. Some older versions of Samba are not compatible with the
> networking features in Vista/Server 2008. The best solution is to see if
> there is a firmware update for the network drive. Failing that try lowering
> the authentication level Vista uses.
>
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>

> "NUKZ" <NUKZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey Colin,
> >
> > the drive is a ethernet drive connected via a router. the connection type
> > is CAT 5 , NOT USB, FIREWIRE and etc. You browse the drive like a std
> > remote
> > drive.
> > windows vista/server 2008 crashes whilst browsing the drive e.g
> >
> > //storage/data/ while under XP/ server 2003 it works perfectly.
> >
> > although if I know the exact path of file it will open fine e.g.
> > //storage/data/wordfile.docx under vista/server 2008. The issue is
> > explore.exe which crash and hangs the computer with trying to browse the
> > folder e.g. //storage/data/
> >
> > Any thoughts of why this happening with vista/ server 2008 ?
> >

> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> By "ethernet" do you mean a network drive? Or do you mean a drive
> >> connected
> >> to the computer with a cable (in which case you probably mean a usb,
> >> firewire, or eSATA drive enclosure)?

Kerry Brown

Re: Ethernet Hard Drive
There may be other fixes needed as well. Post back here if you continue to
experience problems.

--

> hey Kerry,
> thanks for information your lifesaver.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Most network drives use an embedded version of linux with Samba server
>> for
>> file sharing. Some older versions of Samba are not compatible with the
>> networking features in Vista/Server 2008. The best solution is to see if
>> there is a firmware update for the network drive. Failing that try
>> lowering
>> the authentication level Vista uses.
>>
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "NUKZ" <NUKZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > hey Colin,
>> >
>> > the drive is a ethernet drive connected via a router. the connection
>> > type
>> > is CAT 5 , NOT USB, FIREWIRE and etc. You browse the drive like a std
>> > remote
>> > drive.
>> > windows vista/server 2008 crashes whilst browsing the drive e.g
>> >
>> > //storage/data/ while under XP/ server 2003 it works perfectly.
>> >
>> > although if I know the exact path of file it will open fine e.g.
>> > //storage/data/wordfile.docx under vista/server 2008. The issue is
>> > explore.exe which crash and hangs the computer with trying to browse
>> > the
>> > folder e.g. //storage/data/
>> >
>> > Any thoughts of why this happening with vista/ server 2008 ?

Sam

Re: Ethernet Hard Drive
NUKZ wrote:
> hey Kerry,
> thanks for information your lifesaver.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> Most network drives use an embedded version of linux with Samba server for
>> file sharing. Some older versions of Samba are not compatible with the
>> networking features in Vista/Server 2008. The best solution is to see if
>> there is a firmware update for the network drive. Failing that try lowering
>> the authentication level Vista uses.
>>
>> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Networking/ntlm.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience: Systems Administration
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/
>>

>> "NUKZ" <NUKZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> hey Colin,
>>>
>>> the drive is a ethernet drive connected via a router. the connection type
>>> is CAT 5 , NOT USB, FIREWIRE and etc. You browse the drive like a std
>>> remote
>>> drive.
>>> windows vista/server 2008 crashes whilst browsing the drive e.g
>>>
>>> //storage/data/ while under XP/ server 2003 it works perfectly.
>>>
>>> although if I know the exact path of file it will open fine e.g.
>>> //storage/data/wordfile.docx under vista/server 2008. The issue is
>>> explore.exe which crash and hangs the computer with trying to browse the
>>> folder e.g. //storage/data/
>>>
>>> Any thoughts of why this happening with vista/ server 2008 ?

I would be curious to know what brand/model ethernet drive you're using.
I have a Netgear SC-101 that I cannot use with WinXP 64 and Netgear has
stated they have no plans to create updated drivers.