Vista asking for drivers for everything stotrage-related

george.preston@gmail.com

Vista asking for drivers for everything stotrage-related
Hi there, I'm running Vista Premium on a machine with 2 x Maxtor
Diamondmax drives (IDE) and 2 x Seagate Barracuda drives (SATA). One
of the IDE MAxtors recently failed so I sent back for a replacement.
The replacement drive, a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300R0, is recognised
by Vista, but it asks for drivers...for a hard disk?! The disk shows
up in Disk Management but the lack of drivers means I can't assign a
drive letter or format it - the console just throws an error about
disk management being out of date, or the action could not be
completed. I've tested the drive in an XP box and it's fine. Maxtor
don't have drivers for their hard disks, as they shouldn't need them
with any OS later than 98 (apparently).

Trac

Re: Vista asking for drivers for everything stotrage-related
The drives themselves shouldnt have drivers, however the IDE controller or
SATA controller there connected to should have which i guess is what its
looking for. Check your board manufacturers website for updated IDE/SATA or
Chipset drivers.

Trac

<george.preston@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1173953233.122441.54090@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
> Hi there, I'm running Vista Premium on a machine with 2 x Maxtor
> Diamondmax drives (IDE) and 2 x Seagate Barracuda drives (SATA). One
> of the IDE MAxtors recently failed so I sent back for a replacement.
> The replacement drive, a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300R0, is recognised
> by Vista, but it asks for drivers...for a hard disk?! The disk shows
> up in Disk Management but the lack of drivers means I can't assign a
> drive letter or format it - the console just throws an error about
> disk management being out of date, or the action could not be
> completed. I've tested the drive in an XP box and it's fine. Maxtor
> don't have drivers for their hard disks, as they shouldn't need them
> with any OS later than 98 (apparently).

George

On Mar 15, 5:33 pm, "Trac" <T...@nm.com> wrote:
> The drives themselves shouldnt have drivers, however the IDE controller or
> SATA controller there connected to should have which i guess is what its
> looking for. Check your board manufacturers website for updated IDE/SATA or
> Chipset drivers.
>
> Trac
>
> <george.pres...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1173953233.122441.54090@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...
>

> > Hi there, I'm running Vista Premium on a machine with 2 x Maxtor
> > Diamondmax drives (IDE) and 2 x Seagate Barracuda drives (SATA). One
> > of the IDE MAxtors recently failed so I sent back for a replacement.
> > The replacement drive, a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300R0, is recognised
> > by Vista, but it asks for drivers...for a hard disk?! The disk shows
> > up in Disk Management but the lack of drivers means I can't assign a
> > drive letter or format it - the console just throws an error about
> > disk management being out of date, or the action could not be
> > completed. I've tested the drive in an XP box and it's fine. Maxtor
> > don't have drivers for their hard disks, as they shouldn't need them
> > with any OS later than 98 (apparently).- Hide quoted text -

Hi Trac

Thanks for the response, although here it really is drivers for the
hard disk. the controller in question already has another disk on it
which is working fine. In Device Manager, the controller is working
properly, but the actual hard disk (under "disk drives") is missing
the driver.

George

Trac

Re: Vista asking for drivers for everything stotrage-related
Tell it to search c:\ (or whatever drive letter its installed on) the next
time it pops up asking for drivers. Sounds stupid but ive actually had this
problem a few times with several drivers that should be part of windows
itself but for some reason arn't in the proper driver folder where windows
normally looks.

Trac

news:1174032580.966456.93850@n76g2000hsh.googlegro ups.com...