wireless card automatically disabling

iceykitsune

wireless card automatically disabling
shortly after i installed SP 1 for vista business my wireless card started to
disable itself and stop all traffic. the only way i could get my network back
was to reboot the laptop. i have looked in the network connections folder and
saw the card was listed as disabled, after trying to enable it it still said
it was disabled even tho the enabling... window poped up. i have tried to
reinstall drivers, upgrade drivers, release and renew (only to be told it is
disabled), run the diagnositcs and checked my router. my router was not
causing the problems as others in my house were still connected.

any help with this problem is greatly appreciated. i am running vista
business and a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG.
shouldofstayedwithXP

Re: wireless card automatically disabling

I have the same network card and same issue. Mine started a few days
ago, but I have not installed SP1.

--
shouldofstayedwithXP
iceykitsune

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
well its good to know that im not the only one with this problem then. this
must be something with Vista itselfand maybe one of the hotfixes that has
been applied.

"shouldofstayedwithXP" wrote:

> I have the same network card and same issue. Mine started a few days
> ago, but I have not installed SP1.
>

> --
> shouldofstayedwithXP

Pavel A.

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
Is the netcard disabled also in the device manager, or only in Network
connections?

--PA

"shouldofstayedwithXP" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have the same network card and same issue. Mine started a few days
> ago, but I have not installed SP1.
>

> --
> shouldofstayedwithXP

iceykitsune

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
nope it only shows disabled in the network connections folder.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Is the netcard disabled also in the device manager, or only in Network
> connections?
>
> --PA
>

> "shouldofstayedwithXP" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I have the same network card and same issue. Mine started a few days
> > ago, but I have not installed SP1.
> >

> > --
> > shouldofstayedwithXP

Pavel A.

"iceykitsune" <iceykitsune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> nope it only shows disabled in the network connections folder.

Then it is caused by some error in various protocol layers, intermediate
drivers etc. above the adapter.

If reboot helps to revive the conection, maybe disable & enable the adapter
*in device manager* will help as well?

--PA

> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
>> Is the netcard disabled also in the device manager, or only in Network
>> connections?
>>
>> --PA
>>

>> "shouldofstayedwithXP" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I have the same network card and same issue. Mine started a few days
>> > ago, but I have not installed SP1.
>> >

>> > --
>> > shouldofstayedwithXP

iceykitsune

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
well disabling in device manager when the card dies will be something i can
recheck but when the card died i did try to uninstal the driver but it
wouldnt finish uninstalling. it also takes a long time to access any
properties about the card when it dies but i will try that and report back
when my card dies again.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> "iceykitsune" <iceykitsune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > nope it only shows disabled in the network connections folder.

> Then it is caused by some error in various protocol layers, intermediate
> drivers etc. above the adapter.
>
> If reboot helps to revive the conection, maybe disable & enable the adapter
> *in device manager* will help as well?
>
> --PA
>
> > "Pavel A." wrote:
> >
> >> Is the netcard disabled also in the device manager, or only in Network
> >> connections?
> >>
> >> --PA

iceykitsune

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
ok so yea that didnt take long, it died again and this time after i tried to
disable it, the system didnt show (the icon in systray) that there was
limited connectivity but it showed no connection, connect to a network said
it didnt find any but the device manager froze while disabling. i didnt end
task but opened a new one and it didnt show the device disabled but opening
the properties showed that there was no drivers loaded yet it knew what it
was and had all the normal tabs in the device properties.

"iceykitsune" wrote:

> well disabling in device manager when the card dies will be something i can
> recheck but when the card died i did try to uninstal the driver but it
> wouldnt finish uninstalling. it also takes a long time to access any
> properties about the card when it dies but i will try that and report back
> when my card dies again.
>
> "Pavel A." wrote:
>
> > "iceykitsune" <iceykitsune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > nope it only shows disabled in the network connections folder.

> > Then it is caused by some error in various protocol layers, intermediate
> > drivers etc. above the adapter.
> >
> > If reboot helps to revive the conection, maybe disable & enable the adapter
> > *in device manager* will help as well?
> >
> > --PA

Pavel A.

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
Looks like a driver problem...

--PA

> ok so yea that didnt take long, it died again and this time after i tried
> disable it, the system didnt show (the icon in systray) that there was
> limited connectivity but it showed no connection, connect to a network
> said
> it didnt find any but the device manager froze while disabling. i didnt
> end
> task but opened a new one and it didnt show the device disabled but
> opening
> the properties showed that there was no drivers loaded yet it knew what it
> was and had all the normal tabs in the device properties.
>
> "iceykitsune" wrote:
>
>> well disabling in device manager when the card dies will be something i
>> can
>> recheck but when the card died i did try to uninstal the driver but it
>> wouldnt finish uninstalling. it also takes a long time to access any
>> properties about the card when it dies but i will try that and report
>> back
>> when my card dies again.
>>
>> "Pavel A." wrote:
>>
>> > "iceykitsune" <iceykitsune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > Then it is caused by some error in various protocol layers,
>> > intermediate
>> > drivers etc. above the adapter.
>> >
>> > If reboot helps to revive the conection, maybe disable & enable the
>> > adapter
>> > *in device manager* will help as well?
>> >
>> > --PA

iceykitsune

Re: wireless card automatically disabling
Sorry for the delay in responding, i am having problems posting on this site
that aren’t related to the wireless problem. Seems like microsoft doesn't
want me posting or something.

To note i did only upgrade the driver that i had installed before windows
vista SP1 after the problems started. I don’t remember the last time i
actually had upgraded the driver before this time. I did reinstall the driver
last night and i tried it when the card said disabled. the installer couldn’t
complete after 10 to 15 mins (no errors just kept trying to install files but
not really doing anything) so i killed the process, rebooted into safe mode
and fully removed the driver and let windows use its own driver.

I do have a firewall running (zone alarm) and have done a virus scan but
that did not find anything. Looking on the forums recently it looks like
others are starting to have the same problems so this sounds more like a
vista update gone wrong.

"Pavel A." wrote:

> Looks like a driver problem...
>
> --PA
>

> "iceykitsune" <iceykitsune@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok so yea that didnt take long, it died again and this time after i tried
> > disable it, the system didnt show (the icon in systray) that there was
> > limited connectivity but it showed no connection, connect to a network
> > said
> > it didnt find any but the device manager froze while disabling. i didnt
> > end
> > task but opened a new one and it didnt show the device disabled but
> > opening
> > the properties showed that there was no drivers loaded yet it knew what it
> > was and had all the normal tabs in the device properties.
> >
> > "iceykitsune" wrote:
> >
> >> well disabling in device manager when the card dies will be something i
> >> can
> >> recheck but when the card died i did try to uninstal the driver but it
> >> wouldnt finish uninstalling. it also takes a long time to access any
> >> properties about the card when it dies but i will try that and report
> >> back
> >> when my card dies again.

Automatically connect to wireless on boot-up Norm75 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 23 07-01-2009 16:35
#2 Automatically connect to wireless on bootup Norm75 microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 11-23-2007 12:00
Internet Explorer Disabling Wireless ??! Johan Parin microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 11-05-2007 18:31
Will not automatically connect to preferred Wireless LizBongo microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 08-27-2007 15:08
Wireless keeps starting up automatically =?Utf-8?B?a2luZ29mY296eQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 04-17-2007 22:26