HDTV Wonder and Vista

Joe Ordinary

HDTV Wonder and Vista
I have am thinking of buying a new Gateway desktop system. I also
picked up an ATI HDTV Wonder card.

The Microsoft Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website claims
it is compatible and the "x86 Driver available as part of Windows Vista".

I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination and
whether it really worked.

Thanks for any information.
=?Utf-8?B?RHVrZSBvZiBVUkw=?=

RE: HDTV Wonder and Vista
The drivers that come with Vista may be complete drivers, but not the
associated control software that you might need. For my NVIDIA NX 7600 GT
card, there are no Vista drivers and control software available from NVIDIA
or MSI, only what comes with Vista, which does not include control software.

The NVIDIA driver in Vista has a problem I described in a note yesterday in
connecting an HDTV to the PC using a DVI Analog connection.

Even though the ATI card does not use the NVIDIA chips, and thus has another
driver, you may find issues like this here and there, though it will probably
work fine with a conventional (CRT or LCD monitor), but using it with a PC
input on an HDTV might be tricky.

"Joe Ordinary" wrote:

> I have am thinking of buying a new Gateway desktop system. I also
> picked up an ATI HDTV Wonder card.
>
> The Microsoft Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website claims
> it is compatible and the "x86 Driver available as part of Windows Vista".
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination and
> whether it really worked.
>
> Thanks for any information.

Bob

Re: HDTV Wonder and Vista
"Duke of URL" <DukeofURL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsB9569A1-0A71-475F-915D-3FBA05B25DA1@microsoft.com...
> The drivers that come with Vista may be complete drivers, but not the
> associated control software that you might need. For my NVIDIA NX 7600 GT
> card, there are no Vista drivers and control software available from
> NVIDIA
> or MSI, only what comes with Vista, which does not include control
> software.
>
> The NVIDIA driver in Vista has a problem I described in a note yesterday
> in
> connecting an HDTV to the PC using a DVI Analog connection.
>
> Even though the ATI card does not use the NVIDIA chips, and thus has
> another
> driver, you may find issues like this here and there, though it will
> probably
> work fine with a conventional (CRT or LCD monitor), but using it with a PC
> input on an HDTV might be tricky.
>
> "Joe Ordinary" wrote:
>
>> I have am thinking of buying a new Gateway desktop system. I also
>> picked up an ATI HDTV Wonder card.
>>
>> The Microsoft Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website claims
>> it is compatible and the "x86 Driver available as part of Windows Vista".
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination and
>> whether it really worked.
>>
>> Thanks for any information.

I have an off topic question for the Duke.
I see that you are using a 7600GT card...what does Vista rate it's 3d
performance at?
Thanks,
Bob

Joe Ordinary

Re: HDTV Wonder and Vista
Duke of URL wrote:
> The drivers that come with Vista may be complete drivers, but not the
> associated control software that you might need. For my NVIDIA NX 7600 GT
> card, there are no Vista drivers and control software available from NVIDIA
> or MSI, only what comes with Vista, which does not include control software.
>
> The NVIDIA driver in Vista has a problem I described in a note yesterday in
> connecting an HDTV to the PC using a DVI Analog connection.
>
> Even though the ATI card does not use the NVIDIA chips, and thus has another
> driver, you may find issues like this here and there, though it will probably
> work fine with a conventional (CRT or LCD monitor), but using it with a PC
> input on an HDTV might be tricky.
>
> "Joe Ordinary" wrote:
>
>> I have am thinking of buying a new Gateway desktop system. I also
>> picked up an ATI HDTV Wonder card.
>>
>> The Microsoft Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website claims
>> it is compatible and the "x86 Driver available as part of Windows Vista".
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination and
>> whether it really worked.
>>
>> Thanks for any information.

Thanks. I plan on using it with the LCD monitor - watch in one window
while I work in another. Hoping to use it as a PVR also.

I called ATI this morning - their response was it was "not supported"
(HDTV Wonder + Vista combo)and I should buy a 6500. I would rather not
buy another card if I can help it.

Thanks again.
JW

Re: HDTV Wonder and Vista
I dont't understand your problem what exactuly did ATI say is not supported
with their latest 7.2 drivers and what does that have to do with an NVIDIA
card. Please provide additional details on your exace card and driver and
Vista confituration.

"Joe Ordinary" <joeordinary@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ENGdna8HF67MQGTYnZ2dnUVZ_qemnZ2d@adelphia.com ...
> Duke of URL wrote:
>> The drivers that come with Vista may be complete drivers, but not the
>> associated control software that you might need. For my NVIDIA NX 7600
>> GT card, there are no Vista drivers and control software available from
>> NVIDIA or MSI, only what comes with Vista, which does not include control
>> software.
>>
>> The NVIDIA driver in Vista has a problem I described in a note yesterday
>> in connecting an HDTV to the PC using a DVI Analog connection.
>>
>> Even though the ATI card does not use the NVIDIA chips, and thus has
>> another driver, you may find issues like this here and there, though it
>> will probably work fine with a conventional (CRT or LCD monitor), but
>> using it with a PC input on an HDTV might be tricky.
>>
>> "Joe Ordinary" wrote:
>>
>>> I have am thinking of buying a new Gateway desktop system. I also
>>> picked up an ATI HDTV Wonder card.
>>>
>>> The Microsoft Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website claims
>>> it is compatible and the "x86 Driver available as part of Windows
>>> Vista".
>>>
>>> I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination and
>>> whether it really worked.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any information.
>>>

> Thanks. I plan on using it with the LCD monitor - watch in one window
> while I work in another. Hoping to use it as a PVR also.
>
> I called ATI this morning - their response was it was "not supported"
> (HDTV Wonder + Vista combo)and I should buy a 6500. I would rather not buy
> another card if I can help it.
>
> Thanks again.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: HDTV Wonder and Vista
There isn't any driver at the ATI website for the HDTV Wonder under Vista.
I think their advice to return it and get a TV Wonder 650 (note, not 6500
like you've said) is good. I'm not sure where the nVidia idea comes from,
do all Gateway desktops come with nVidia graphics cards? I ran my MCE 2005
with an nVidia FX5700 graphics card, an eHome Wonder and an HDTV Wonder and
had no problems.

I recently switched to an x850 Pro graphics card (as the motherboard is
limited by its AGP slot) and because the eHome Wonder isn't supported under
Vista, I've just got a TV Wonder 550... but haven't had a chance to install
it yet even under MCE 2005.

The HDTV Wonder may work with the in-box Vista drivers.... but I can't
guarantee or confirm either way. It is ONLY a tv tuner card, not a graphics
card.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

>I have am thinking of buying a new Gateway desktop system. I also picked
>up an ATI HDTV Wonder card.
>
> The Microsoft Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List website claims it
> is compatible and the "x86 Driver available as part of Windows Vista".
>
> I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this combination and
> whether it really worked.
>
> Thanks for any information.

=?Utf-8?B?RHVrZSBvZiBVUkw=?=

Re: HDTV Wonder and Vista

>> I see that you are using a 7600GT card...what does Vista rate it's 3d

performance at?

If you are referring to the Windows Experience Index (from Control Panel /
System on Vista), it rates 3D at 5.4. Overall I have "only" 5.3 because of
my "slow" processor (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz).

If there's another benchmark you'd like me to run, send me an URL.

Duke of URL

>>> I see that you are using a 7600GT card...what does Vista rate it's 3d

> performance at?
>
> If you are referring to the Windows Experience Index (from Control Panel /
> System on Vista), it rates 3D at 5.4. Overall I have "only" 5.3 because
> of
> my "slow" processor (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz).
>
> If there's another benchmark you'd like me to run, send me an URL.
>
> Duke of URL

Thanks Duke that is exactly what I was looking for.
Bob

> "Bob" wrote:
>
>> "Duke of URL" <DukeofURL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> newsB9569A1-0A71-475F-915D-3FBA05B25DA1@microsoft.com...
>> > The drivers that come with Vista may be complete drivers, but not the
>> > associated control software that you might need. For my NVIDIA NX 7600
>> > GT
>> > card, there are no Vista drivers and control software available from
>> > NVIDIA
>> > or MSI, only what comes with Vista, which does not include control
>> > software.
>> >
>> > The NVIDIA driver in Vista has a problem I described in a note
>> > yesterday
>> > in
>> > connecting an HDTV to the PC using a DVI Analog connection.
>> >
>> > Even though the ATI card does not use the NVIDIA chips, and thus has
>> > another
>> > driver, you may find issues like this here and there, though it will
>> > probably
>> > work fine with a conventional (CRT or LCD monitor), but using it with a
>> > PC
>> > input on an HDTV might be tricky.

>> I have an off topic question for the Duke.
>> I see that you are using a 7600GT card...what does Vista rate it's 3d
>> performance at?
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

Joe Ordinary

Re: HDTV Wonder and Vista
Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> There isn't any driver at the ATI website for the HDTV Wonder under
> Vista. I think their advice to return it and get a TV Wonder 650 (note,
> not 6500 like you've said) is good. I'm not sure where the nVidia idea
> comes from, do all Gateway desktops come with nVidia graphics cards? I
> ran my MCE 2005 with an nVidia FX5700 graphics card, an eHome Wonder and
> an HDTV Wonder and had no problems.
>
> I recently switched to an x850 Pro graphics card (as the motherboard is
> limited by its AGP slot) and because the eHome Wonder isn't supported
> under Vista, I've just got a TV Wonder 550... but haven't had a chance
> to install it yet even under MCE 2005.
>
> The HDTV Wonder may work with the in-box Vista drivers.... but I can't
> guarantee or confirm either way. It is ONLY a tv tuner card, not a
> graphics card.

I think the nVidia issue was something separate mentioned by "Duke of
URL".
I happen to be getting an nVidia graphics card, but I did not mention
that in my original post. [The higher end Gateways come with a choice of
nVidia or ATI Crossfire cards. I went with nVidia GeForce 7950GT]

You are right, ATI did suggest a 650 (not a 6500 - typo on my part).
The HDTV Wonder was a gift and not returnable. I may give it a try and
if it doesn't work then I will buy a TV Wonder 650. Or I may skip
trying something "not supported" and just buy the TV Wonder 650 (and
write off the HDTV Wonder).