Good hard disk utilities?

Stan Kay

Good hard disk utilities?
Can anyone please tell me if there are any good hard disk utilities
available that perform more comprehensive testing/correction than those
performed by Windows own check disk utility?

Colin Barnhorst

Re: Good hard disk utilities?
Download from the hdd manufacturer's website.

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone please tell me if there are any good hard disk utilities
> available that perform more comprehensive testing/correction than those
> performed by Windows own check disk utility?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Good hard disk utilities?
As Colin has pointed out the hard drive manufacturer usually has a utility
that will check the hard drive for problems. Seagate, for example, offer sea
tools for windows.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone please tell me if there are any good hard disk utilities
> available that perform more comprehensive testing/correction than those
> performed by Windows own check disk utility?

Pavel A.

Re: Good hard disk utilities?
"Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone please tell me if there are any good hard disk utilities
> available that perform more comprehensive testing/correction than those
> performed by Windows own check disk utility?

www.grc.com

--PA

Stan Kay

Re: Good hard disk utilities?
Sorry for the delay in responding but I have been to the Seagate web site
and downloaded and tried both SeaTools for Windows and Seagate DiskWizard.

Seagate DiskWizard told me, despite the fact that I have three working
Seagate ST3500630AS hard drives, that it could not proceed because "To use
the product, at least one Seagate or Maxtor device should be installed on
your system". I have tried the Seagate FAQ's but no joy so I have left a
message with Technical Support.

SeaTools for Windows generated a "Unhandled exception - parameter is not
valid" error message. I have reported this too.

Despite not solving my problem, neverthless, I am grateful for your help.

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Download from the hdd manufacturer's website.
>
> "Stan Kay" <stan.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone please tell me if there are any good hard disk utilities
>> available that perform more comprehensive testing/correction than those
>> performed by Windows own check disk utility?

Stan Kay

Re: Good hard disk utilities?
I have visited the site you provided but I am reluctant to spend $89.00 for
SpinRite 6 when I cannot be sure what it actually does.

Pity they don't provide a trial version.