Stupid double tap on the touchpad...make it stop! Help, anyone?

EnkaiNami is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stupid double tap on the touchpad...make it stop! Help, anyone?
I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista, and I have no real complaints about it except this %^#*ing 'double tap' thing being double click. I can't stand it. I've accidentally clicked on countless things over the past two days (I just got this laptop). Yet I can find no way to edit it. Help? I'm about ready to chuck this thing out a window because it's so frustrating.

I downloaded Synaptics, but it doesn't seem to help because I can't find the tapping options. Maybe I downloaded the wrong version of it. If Sypantics works, can some give me instructions to getting rid of double tap?

Any help, please, I really loathe this feature.
t-4-2

Re: Stupid double tap on the touchpad...make it stop! Help, anyone?

EnkaiNami;682655 Wrote:
> I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista, and I have no real complaints
> about it except this %^#*ing 'double tap' thing being double click. I
> can't stand it. I've accidentally clicked on countless things over the
> past two days (I just got this laptop). Yet I can find no way to edit
> it. Help? I'm about ready to chuck this thing out a window because
> it's so frustrating.
>
> I downloaded Synaptics, but it doesn't seem to help because I can't
> find the tapping options. Maybe I downloaded the wrong version of it.
> If Sypantics works, can some give me instructions to getting rid of
> double tap?
>
> Any help, please, I really loathe this feature.
>

> --
> EnkaiNami

Hello. I'm not certain what you are mad about. We are talking about
the touchpad, right? Ok, throw that word "tap" out of your mind. On the
touchpad there are 2 buttons side by side. When you are asked to click
or left click, it means press the left button. When you were asked to
double click, press the left button twice. When you are asked to right
click, then what do you have to do? Right ! That's it. It shouldn't be
frustrating. Relax. You are growing white hair. Tap means click, same
animal.

--
t-4-2
KingOfChaos

Re: Stupid double tap on the touchpad...make it stop! Help, anyone?

Unless you have a mouse installed, you can change the settings for the
touch pad through the control panel's mouse settings.

--
KingOfChaos

"I am the BSOD that haunts your every process"
PvdG42

"EnkaiNami" <EnkaiNami.37tzs7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I have an HP laptop with Windows Vista, and I have no real complaints
> about it except this %^#*ing 'double tap' thing being double click. I
> can't stand it. I've accidentally clicked on countless things over the
> past two days (I just got this laptop). Yet I can find no way to edit
> it. Help? I'm about ready to chuck this thing out a window because
> it's so frustrating.
>
> I downloaded Synaptics, but it doesn't seem to help because I can't
> find the tapping options. Maybe I downloaded the wrong version of it.
> If Sypantics works, can some give me instructions to getting rid of
> double tap?
>
> Any help, please, I really loathe this feature.
>

> --
> EnkaiNami

So, if reconfiguring your touchpad, as King advised, isn't working for you,
why not contact HP technical support to see if they can help?

EnkaiNami is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know what the left and right clicks do. I've had a computer for many years, but this is my first time with Vista.
I mean when I tap my fingers twice on the touchpad itself, it counts as a double click.
I'll clarify best I can.

I go to Pen and Input Devices, which goes straight to Pen Options.
There they have a list of Pen Options.
Under one column says Pen action and another says Equivalent Mouse Action.
Under Pen action, it says: "Double tap"
Under Equivalent Mouse Action in the same row as Double Tap, it says:
Double-click.

This means every time I double tap on the track pad/touch pad, it's going to double click. This gets annoying after a while, and this is how I keep accidentally clicking on things. I do not know how to change this. I want to see if it can be disabled.
RalfG

Re: Stupid double tap on the touchpad...make it stop! Help, anyone?
The tap to click characteristic is nothing to do with Vista really, it's a
fairly normal touchpad behaviour. My old serial port connected PC Concepts
touchpad (a re-badged something or other :-)) worked the same way in Win9x
and XP. I don't know if you can disable that unless that is a feature in the
OEM driver for the touchpad. If there even is an OEM driver that will work
in Vista. You could change the double-click speed to try and reduce the
number of accidental double clicks.

"EnkaiNami" <EnkaiNami.37v40c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I know what the left and right clicks do. I've had a computer for many
> years, but this is my first time with Vista.
> I mean when I tap my fingers twice on the touchpad itself, it counts as
> a double click.
> I'll clarify best I can.
>
> I go to Pen and Input Devices, which goes straight to Pen Options.
> There they have a list of Pen Options.
> Under one column says Pen action and another says Equivalent Mouse
> Action.
> Under Pen action, it says: "Double tap"
> Under Equivalent Mouse Action in the same row as Double Tap, it says:
> Double-click.
>
> This means every time I double tap on the track pad/touch pad, it's
> going to double click. This gets annoying after a while, and this is
> how I keep accidentally clicking on things. I do not know how to change
> this. I want to see if it can be disabled.
>

> --
> EnkaiNami

EnkaiNami is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, I'm glad someone understands. I was starting to think I was only imagining this feature.

I already made it less sensitive, but I've still managed to send an e-mail I was only half done with and given low ratings on YouTube I didn't mean to because of that darn double-tap thing.

I can't believe others haven't noticed/disliked this feature. My Mac laptop doesn't do that, and while I've heard complaints about that, I only view that as a plus. I also can't believe it can't be disabled, it's an awful feature.
Thanks anyways.

EnkaiNami;683166 Wrote:
> I know what the left and right clicks do. I've had a computer for many
> years, but this is my first time with Vista.
> I mean when I tap my fingers twice on the touchpad itself, it counts as
> a double click.
> I'll clarify best I can.
>
> I go to Pen and Input Devices, which goes straight to Pen Options.
> There they have a list of Pen Options.
> Under one column says Pen action and another says Equivalent Mouse
> Action.
> Under Pen action, it says: "Double tap"
> Under Equivalent Mouse Action in the same row as Double Tap, it says:
> Double-click.
>
> This means every time I double tap on the track pad/touch pad, it's
> going to double click. This gets annoying after a while, and this is
> how I keep accidentally clicking on things. I do not know how to change
> this. I want to see if it can be disabled.
>

> --
> EnkaiNami

Hello,now that you are calm and collect, you have clarified the whole
situation. First of all, you had gone to the wrong place (pen & input
device). Go to Control Panel> choose Classic View> Choose Mouse> click
on the Large arrowhead> click Touchpad Settings, look for a box that
says TAP TO CLICK, UN-check that box, click APPLY, then click OK. That's
it. You can play drum on the touchpad and nothing will happen. While you
are there, check out those options, ie device select, scrolling settings
etc., make changes as you please. Let me know if that satisfies what you
want.

--
t-4-2

EnkaiNami is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I just called HP, and they say this over sensitive double-tap for this version of HP laptop (dv2700) is a common problem, and they're going to replace my laptop. Awesome.

Thanks for the advice about calling HP. I've never had a laptop with Vista, so I didn't know where to turn.

Thanks again.

EnkaiNami is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I couldn't find the large arrowhead, nor anything that leads to touchpad settings.
From what I've understood of HPs, there are no touchpad settings.