DVD / CD / Optical Drive Visable in Explorer But Inaccessible

SJM

DVD / CD / Optical Drive Visable in Explorer But Inaccessible
Dear All,

Thanks in advance for any support.

Since installing Vista Ultimate last year (2007) I have been unable to use
any optical drive with this desktop computer. The system was previously
running XP and the DVD-ROM drive was used to install Vista successfully.
Upon installation the DVD stopped working properly and while visible in
Explorer -- remained inaccessible.

Since that time the DVD-ROM has been visible within Explorer and the Device
Manager. However, discs just spin up and continue spinning. Content remains
inaccessible and not visible.

Solutions posted within the Microsoft forums indicated deleting the upper /
lower filters -- this has not made any difference. The motherboard is an
ASUS P5W-DH-Deluxe; the board's bios is up to date (to ASUS' last update
released in March 2008).

To test the system with a "Vista Compatible" device, the system is now
running a Sony DRU-190A; the latest firmware is installed from the Sony site.
No change in behaviour with any of the DVD-ROM / CD-ROM drives I have tried.

I am at a loss as to what could be causing all optical drives to be
inaccessible (but to be correctly visible within Explorer, the Device
Manager, and within the Bios).

Any help and assistance would be extremely welcome. Thanks in advance.

SJM
Brad

RE: DVD / CD / Optical Drive Visable in Explorer But Inaccessible
I too am having this same problem; however, Vista came loaded on my Dell.
Explorer and Device Manager see the drive, but it's not accesible; it just
spits the tray open and asks for a blank CD. Clicking on properties says the
device is operating properly. There is nothing in the queue to be burned.
Nowhere can I see the contents of the CD or listen to music. argh...
Brad