Vista will only start in Raid Mode

rc51aaron

Vista will only start in Raid Mode

hello everyone I recently purchased a HP Pavilion M8430F - It came with
a single 750 Gig drive and has Vista x64 installed, - I added a second
320 Gig Drive that had data only on it - Recently i have saved all that
data to the Vista drive now i would like to install XP Pro on the
smaller drive and dual boot them both - OK Vista runs fine XP install
Crashes - my onboard Sata Controler is set to Raid that is the only way
vista will boot - if i switch it to IDE i can install and run XP but
like i said vista will not boot-up switch it back to raid and Vista will
boot XP will give a blue screen - The pc came with a single drive and
the default setting in the bios is RAID - and suggestions on making both
work???

--
rc51aaron
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode
Chat with HP Support:
http://h50203.www5.hp.com/hpisweb/cu...&cc=us&lang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"rc51aaron" wrote:

[...]

Did that HP is no help - they had no answer and tried to sell me a
Personal Media Drive - they do not support XP on my system

--
rc51aaron
scrooge

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode

you said vista will not boot when you set you bios to (ide). whats the
error on the screen? did you try putting the vista disk in the drive and
booting from it.then hitting the repair system? it just may not be able
to find vista's boot info. the repair should be able to fix that . hope
this helps...
scrooge

--
scrooge
rc51aaron

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode

I did use the vista disk to repair the vista boot info after xp was
installed, if i leave it on IDE vista will try to load and i get a very
fast blue screen, I cant make oout what it says, the pc will them
restart by itself and will do the same thing all over again unless i set
the ide controller back to raid

--
rc51aaron
scrooge

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode

when you boot into vista are the 2 drives joint together ? if not are
there 2 drives showing up ? the only other thing i can think of is to
backup data to a cd/dvd drive. then change the bios back to ide. then
reinstall vista and see if that works.
scrooge

--
scrooge
rc51aaron

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode

they are not joied together, they both show up separately and both run
fine seperatley, I just have to switch the controller to ide from raid
to start Vista

--
rc51aaron
Tom Ferguson

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode
If you disconnect the second, smaller drive that you added to the system,
what BIOS setting is needed so that Vista will boot? (RAID or IDE?)
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007

"rc51aaron" <rc51aaron.37t583@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> hello everyone I recently purchased a HP Pavilion M8430F - It came with
> a single 750 Gig drive and has Vista x64 installed, - I added a second
> 320 Gig Drive that had data only on it - Recently i have saved all that
> data to the Vista drive now i would like to install XP Pro on the
> smaller drive and dual boot them both - OK Vista runs fine XP install
> Crashes - my onboard Sata Controler is set to Raid that is the only way
> vista will boot - if i switch it to IDE i can install and run XP but
> like i said vista will not boot-up switch it back to raid and Vista will
> boot XP will give a blue screen - The pc came with a single drive and
> the default setting in the bios is RAID - and suggestions on making both
> work???
>

> --
> rc51aaron

rc51aaron

--
rc51aaron
andy

Re: Vista will only start in Raid Mode
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:21:56 -0500, rc51aaron
<rc51aaron.37t583@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>hello everyone I recently purchased a HP Pavilion M8430F - It came with
>a single 750 Gig drive and has Vista x64 installed, - I added a second
>320 Gig Drive that had data only on it - Recently i have saved all that
>data to the Vista drive now i would like to install XP Pro on the
>smaller drive and dual boot them both - OK Vista runs fine XP install
>Crashes - my onboard Sata Controler is set to Raid that is the only way
>vista will boot - if i switch it to IDE i can install and run XP but
>like i said vista will not boot-up switch it back to raid and Vista will
>boot XP will give a blue screen - The pc came with a single drive and
>the default setting in the bios is RAID - and suggestions on making both
>work???

Obtain the Windows XP AHCI driver for the SATA interface in the HP
computer, and load it via F6 when installing XP.